• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What are the most valuable lessons you've learned while disc golfing?

Before I started I thought all disc golfers were hippies and/or stoners. It turns out there are just as many rednecks (not used in a derogatory manner).

ineptitudedemotivator.jpg

Since I didn't start playing until I was in my 40's, there's not much (beyond technique, etc.) that I've learned through disc golf that I would call a valuable lesson. It is more what disc gold has REMINDED me of. Slow down, be quiet, be in the here and now. That it is OK to not multi-task all the time, to have fun on your own terms. Etc., etc.

I get the same benefits from disc golf as I do from fly fishing. A physical and mental reset to keep the everyday reality of being a parent/executive/coach/homeowner in perspective.

And as I've posted before, to have my 4 year old so say "Good job Dad!" after I shank a shot 20' into the woods. Because he's right...it is a good job, because I got out and played. I say about fishing all the time "any day on the water is a good day on the water" and I feel the same about disc golf...any day on the course is a good day.

Since I started playing, I've learned a lot about patience and perspective. I've also learned that everybody's opinion matters, although it may not always seem that way.

Remember that this is just throwing frisbees, so have fun. Or do something else.

Lessons learned:

It's been reenforced, most lefties are paranoid.
Do NOT pick up that abandoned towel.
I'm happy I got my SCUBA certification in 1990.
If you find a disc you like, it'll have a name on it.
Don't throw any disc with a clear flight plate in the fall.
Accuracy trumps distance.

That your really NOT that good...quit taking yourself so seriously.

LULZ!

That abandoned towel is always abandoned for one good reason or another.

Not mine. I'm always dropping my towels on the course and forgetting them. They're nice ones too, but I get a free unlimited supply at work so I never care to trek back the 5 or 6 holes to retrieve it.

Don't take peoples skill level for granted. I did, and took a disc to the head.

Here are mine:

During tournament play:

Take a stroke to save a stroke.
Throw what you know how to throw.

By following those 2 simple rules, your scores will improve.

Rick G

That disc golf is no different from any other industry... everyone claims their stuff is better, different, is what you need, etc, but there really isn't much of a difference, and they'll keep coming out with new merch to keep you buyin... they're all just vying for shelf space and market share.

Considering I already knew that any business/industry will do this, I suppose I haven't learned a blessed thing. :(

It is a great way to meet new people and to learn things from them, (good and bad), but it is also a great way to have fun with adult kids whenever we can get together. It doesn't hurt to throw in a little bragging rights, especially when the old man that doesn't throw as far as the kids still comes home with the honors! :thmbup: