• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What companies have you not given a fair chance and why not?

grotto

Double Eagle Member
With all the hater and fanboy comments out there, I was pondering this question last night. What companies do you shun or hate without ever having given them a fair shot, and why?

For me.
Westside- Because I don't like the names and stamps

Vibram - Because they look and feel cheap

Prodigy - Because Every place I know that sells them have no charts on the wall, the discs have no flight numbers and I'm too lazy to do the research before I show up to the shop.

MVP - Because of the cult-like fanboy stigma.

I know all of these reasons are ridiculous, yet I still hold to them (for the time being anyway).

Now for example, I'm not generally a fan of Discraft, but I do have experience with their discs and I currently use a Drone and a Comet. Yet their are other companies that I turn my nose up to with no experience what so ever and I don't think I'm the only one out there who does so.

Sometimes there is no logical reason for our likes and dislikes, so what are yours?

Last edited:
Discraft, Prodigy and MVP because they don't use the Innova flight number system. Plus I hate the way the Discraft stamps look

giphy.gif

To be honest, my bag is pretty much set with Gateway putters, DC/Innova mids, and Innova drivers.

Tried enough Euro plastic to know I don't like it.

Salient/Yikun/Prodigy/Vibram - Never had any interest.

Prodigy - Because Every place I know that sells them have no charts on the wall, the discs have no flight numbers and I'm too lazy to do the research before I show up to the shop.

This is pretty much the exact reason I have never given Prodigy a fair shot.

For me it would be MVP, Vibram, Prodigy, and Salient(although I just bought a helix). Most of the other companies I've tried have really been by chance. I was at the store and liked the way the disc felt so I bought it.

I really have been thinking about giving MVP a try, their products just seem so solid and and I have a couple of buddies who swear by a couple of their molds. I'm really interested in seeing what their new distance drivers are like.

I honestly don't like the feel of Vibrams discs. I could be the rubber I guess, but just not a fan.

With prodigy I honesty don't think they are putting out discs or plastic that I can't get elsewhere with a better stamp.

And Salient I thing is a disc golf accessories company, that also happens to make discs. Instead of a disc manufacturer that happens to make disc golf accessories. So that right there is enough evidence for me not to try their discs. But the Helix is an amazing bag and I'd recommend that particular product to anyone.

Westside- Because I don't like the names and stamps

Interesting. By far my favorite names/stamps.

Legacy. Just seems like none of the molds would bring anything to the table that I don't already have.

Gateway. No one seems excited about anything but the putters.

I've tried some Prodigy, but I don't like their naming system and a lot of the guys who work there play my home course and have rubbed me the wrong way.

Recently I got over my Discraft dislike and got a couple of their mids and a few others. I don't think I'd bag any except the Buzzz but their stamps are just unattractive.

I've never used DD, though I use the other Trillogy brands, just don't like the naming.

I've always planned to try Vibram but the feel weird, almost bought an Obex at PIAS for $5. But then they had a CFR Teebird for $5 so I got that instead.

MVP I like okay good discs and everything but most of the retailers around here are asking $22-30 for their discs so I don't buy them much. Did get an eclipse anode for $7 gently used though.

Legacy - because I already throw Innova's best molds. Zing!

Vibram - never liked the texture

Prodigy - never liked their public image and had massive sharp flashing issues when I might've been willing to check them out.

Dynamic Discs/Westside - I had a big Lat 64 phase, but was over it by about the time DD came out with discs. I have a couple Trespasses that might see some air time soon though. So comfortable.

MVP - I don't like the dead flat/very shallow feel of their driver line(s). I really like the grip of Neutron plastic though, and I've put my approach game in the hands of the Envy/Proxy combo with good results so far.

Discraft - except their mids. I used their drivers early on but have never gone back to them or been tempted to and same goes for their putters.

Gateway - I've never tried anything but the Wizard and Magic. I have no plans to at the present time.

Too many companies, not enough time to get to know just the handful I throw as it is: so Gateway, ABC, Legacy, Millennium, DGA, Prodigy, Axiom, Ching, Salient, etc. sorry.

Other than giving an Ion a one-round spin, I've only ever thrown Innova and Discraft. :eek:

So, pretty much every company out there hasn't gotten a "fair" shake. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Not out of brand loyalty or anything stupid like that. I just stick with what I've got that works and avoid trying to reinvent the wheel.

Discraft - I've been playing for 4.5 years and have never thrown a Buzzz! I think I watched too many of their youtube videos when I started playing and grew tired of the brand. And I agree that they have fallen way behind on stamp design.

Gateway - I putt with a Wizard but have never thrown anything else.

Prodigy - Plastic is great and the discs seem well designed but it seems like they have major consistency/quality issues.

Other - Pretty much all of the smaller companies and any future start-ups. Unless it is unique technology or design, I am probably not interested. The market is too saturated and I don't see where a new company is going to create a disc that is any better than what is currently available.

Kataplast may be the exception. Their plastic is incredible. The Kaxe / Kaxe Z are unique and I am hoping they add an understable Kaxe to the mix.

Fly High Discs - Just really don't like their style

Vibram - I don't want some discs in my bag feeling 100% different from others...I throw lots of companies but they are all champ or star style plastics from several brands (plus MVP, but it's similar type of plastic)

Legacy - I get scared from all of the "this colour does this" variation talk

Prodigy - Just hasn't appealed to me, plus their bland naming and as people said the flight chart/description stuff. Just doesn't seem as exciting to me.

Quest: heard terrible things for years, and their gimmicky discs just look like crap
Ching: threw some Ching stamped Innova way back when, and a Tank, but the current stuff they run looks like it belongs in a Toys R Us
Daredevil: cool stamps and its nice to see a Canadian company, but way too overpriced (import tax?)
DGA: aside from the Breaker, I've just never tried any of their discs...I have no idea why