• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What constitutes a "Legitamate" Ace

If you stand there and throw one disc after another, that is called "practice".

When I go to the practice field with my basket and nail 100ft -200ft shots, I don't call them aces, I call them practice shots.

A true ace is - When you are playing a round of disc golf , in a tournament, or a casual round, and you tee off from the tee box and land you disc in the basket with one shot. That is how I view a "Ace".

Agreed, If you throw more than one disc you have the chance to correct your shot to come closer to the pin. That is the way it is with any sport - you get one chance.

None the less, those throws in the video were impressive, yet not aces.

Does anything that you do that doesn't win you money or give you a better score in competition really count for anything more than just practice? I hit a putt during a casual round the other day but what really would have been different had I missed it? Does it "count" as being in the basket? If so, what does it count twards?

I agree 100% with Midnightbiker. I must disagree with garublador however. Dg(and all sports) is to me about having fun and testing yourself against a course. the site has score tracking because people want to keep up with what they do. Most players will never make money at DG and many will never play in a tournament.

I agree 100% with Midnightbiker. I must disagree with garublador however. Dg(and all sports) is to me about having fun and testing yourself against a course. the site has score tracking because people want to keep up with what they do. Most players will never make money at DG and many will never play in a tournament.
We aren't talking about tracking your improvement, though. We're talking about whether or not a shot "counts" twards anything. Of course it all counts for practice and I mentioned that in my post.

i have sat there and shot 20 discs at a hole until i "aced" it plenty of times. i don't count them as aces though. every time i have done something like that its just for the thrill of making a shot off the tee. it is by no means an ace unless it is truly your first shot off the tee. there is nothing wrong with what he is doing in the video though. because as i said, whether it's a true ace or not, it's still one hell of a thrill making a shot off the tee.

Does anything that you do that doesn't win you money or give you a better score in competition really count for anything more than just practice? I hit a putt during a casual round the other day but what really would have been different had I missed it? Does it "count" as being in the basket? If so, what does it count twards?

Huh?:confused:

Why keep score at all? Nothing counts anyway? Why do people keep track of anything? Because it is a significant event in their lives. Everytime I play Dg, I keep score and so does everyone else I know. People also keep up with and talk about their Aces and best scores. It's part of the human condition.

If I'm playing an I make it on my first shot, it should count as an ace. When playing ball golf if that happens people count it, why should disc golf be any different? Does it need to be in a tournament to count...I don't think that is fair to people who don't play in tournaments. A "hole in one" is just that, you made the shot in one attempt. So when playing a round, if you make it in one attempt you should be proud and put that ace on your list.

Does an ace count for anything? Sure it does! It counts as an eagle or double eagle depending on the hole's par. If you make a 100 foot second shot on a par three, it counts as a birdie. This is no different. However, aces have no bearing on how good someone is or I feel should be a measurement on how you play. Some people play courses that are so long, there is no real chance of them ever getting an ace. And others play pitch and putt style courses where every hole gives them a shot to rack up those aces.

So aces are fun to make and a can be a real thrill for some. If you want to track aces for yourself, then go ahead, but I would never make them the premiere judgment of someone's game.

It had not occurred to me to even keep track of aces in disc golf before joining DGCR. Although, I did keep track of them in ball golf. ;) That is my opinion on this, at least so far. Gotta keep an open mind after all. :cool:

Why keep score at all? Nothing counts anyway? Why do people keep track of anything? Because it is a significant event in their lives. Everytime I play Dg, I keep score and so does everyone else I know. People also keep up with and talk about their Aces and best scores. It's part of the human condition.

Sarcasm aside(well sort of ;) )....I totally agree brother. Let's face this fact. Games that keep score individually AND have few limitations on personal improvement possibilities, is exactly what attracts us to play those in the first place. It gives us a chance to measure our progress and we love to try and get better and have that "once in a lifetime" self accomplishing game....untill the next time you go out and try to beat that one! :D

I don't think that an Ace is the defining characteristic of a Dg player. If you have 2 aces in a round and 4 bogies you will still be even par. They are just great shots that you remember. I believe there is also an element of luck involved. An inch can seperate a great shot from an Ace. Also a 150-200 foot shot from a fairway can be just as impressive. The main thing is to have fun.

I always keep score so I have a chance to improve my personal record. I usually go discing with the same group, and we keep track of the best round the group has shot on a course. It is something to compare yourself to. With any sport, you want to compare yourself to others.

Back to the Ace debate, if one wanted to consider a second toss an ace, why not call a long fairway shot an ace too? THey are both second shots.

If it's just bragging rights then my opinion is to count whatever you want. Unless you're able to give an accurate ratio of the number of aces you called and the number you hit I couldn't really care less. I'm guessing even the people that stand at a tee and fire off shots until they ace will have a pretty low "shots I called as an ace that I hit" to "shots I called as an ace" ratio.

If it's to compare scores then the ace itself doesn't matter except for its impact on your overall score. It also doesn't make sense to score any differently than the rules of the game. Using a pre-defined set of rules is the only useful way to compare scores.

If it's to track your progress then whether or not you call it an ace is based on whatever definition you want to use. IMO it's not a very useful statistic, though.

This is why I keep asking what your "counting" your ace for. The answer on whether or not it "counts" depends on what you're counting. As far as I can tell it's just an argument on semantics. What you count as an ace depends on how you define the word "ace." Without that definition it's difficult to give an answer.

FWIW, the only times I keep score are for tournaments...so maybe once a year. I remember some great shots I've had but I don't think they "count" for anything. The only thing that really "counts" is consistancy. If you can't do something consistantly then you can't "count" on it when it "counts." ;)

I used to play a long time ago when there were no baskets (at least not around here) and had many object "aces" The way we used to play they were much easier to hit than on a basket. Normally we would hit a tree or light pole etc and we usually counted any part of the target. This makes it easier because you can shoot for the base of something without fear of going 50 ft past. Now that I play on baskets I have kept track of those Aces but do not know how many object Aces I had in the past. If the course I regularly played was object then I would probably count them.

The term Ace comes from ball golf and refers to a hole in 1 which would be diffferent from a 2nd shot from a fairway, which could be just as good a shot. I believe that the vast majority of players consider an Ace to be the 1st shot off the tee going in the hole when you are playing a round of DG, not practice, not extra shots or unloading the bag.

Latest posts