• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What constitutes a putt?

tomschillin

Birdie Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I know the whole 30 foot ring thing...but does that mean then I could go 18 holes and have less than 18 putts if I make a 50 footer? I just started keeping track of my putts and this tought crossed my mind. Or if you have an ace, does that count as a long putt? or a hole played without putting?

10 meters is 32 feet 10 inches... how is that for an arbitrary number.

Folks obviously can make putts outside that range. They are called awesome shots.

:^p

http://www.pdga.com/rules

Putt: Any throw from 10 meters or less as measured from the rear of the marker disc to the base of the hole is considered a putt.

Putt (falling) " Falling Putt: A putt after which a player touches his or her marker disc, or any object beyond the lie, including the playing surface, before having demonstrated full control of balance.

Last edited:
I personally feel that a putt is a concept instead of a rigid, only takes place from a certain spot, kind of thing. You know if you are putting at the basket or just trying to upshot it close.

of course inside 33' its technicallly a putt no matter what.

I support the creative round approach where throws, putts, aces, bogies and pars don't fit an easy statistical paradigm but result in the low score on the course for that day. The throw that fits...one after another for 18 holes.

The "Playing a Round" scenario.

Just me.

I know the whole 30 foot ring thing...but does that mean then I could go 18 holes and have less than 18 putts if I make a 50 footer? I just started keeping track of my putts and this tought crossed my mind. Or if you have an ace, does that count as a long putt? or a hole played without putting?

Several threads on this already... for me a "putt" is anytime I'm using a putting stance/motion with the intent of putting the disc in the basket.

You can absolutely finish a hole without putting.

of course inside 33' its technicallly a putt no matter what.

For the purpose of testing a "falling putt", that's true.

But there are times when I'm out around 30' with howling wind or a serious drop-off behind the basket, or whatever... the conditions are not favorable to make a run at the basket. I will intentionally lay-up as close to under the basket as I can for a drop-in putt. In those situations I don't count (for DGCR Scorebook purposes) that lay-up shot as a putt since my intent is not to put the disc in the basket, just get it close.

Several threads on this already... for me a "putt" is anytime I'm using a putting stance/motion with the intent of putting the disc in the basket.

You can absolutely finish a hole without putting.

But there are times when I'm out around 30' with howling wind or a serious drop-off behind the basket, or whatever... the conditions are not favorable to make a run at the basket. I will intentionally lay-up as close to under the basket as I can for a drop-in putt. In those situations I don't count (for DGCR Scorebook purposes) that lay-up shot as a putt since my intent is not to put the disc in the basket, just get it close.
you said it perfectly.

good point. And on the falling putt issue, I saw a few rec players that had this problem this last weekend. One in particular me and another guy told a couple of times to watch it but never called him on it because we personally didn't care that much. He finished pretty high up and I can't help but wonder if he stopped falling foward on his short putts or if nobody ever called him on it.

... for me a "putt" is anytime I'm using a putting stance/motion with the intent of putting the disc in the basket.

This is what I consider a putt as well. If I'm not using a "putting" stance or motion, then I consider it an approach shot. This is what I use to determine whether to count a shot a putt in the scorebook. If I'm 60-70 ft away, I can't putt that far, so I throw the disc. I do not count that a putt, but more of an approach shot.

Think of it as being just off of the green in ball golf, a chip shot if you will.
That's my approach.

putt this

just got backfrom a little 9 holer with my son,and I did a 30 foot putt and a 45 foot putt,the firsts for me on this course in a long time:rolleyes:

You know anything that I throw my putter with is what I count as a putt, unless I am throwing my putter on the tee pad.

I would also say that another good rule is that anything you use a putting motion for as opposed to your regular throwing motion.

Officially though it is anything 10 meters and in.

In ball golf you have a well defined green and that makes a putt easy to define whereas we don't have that in Dg. I don't track putts and maybe that is part of the reason. According to Ericj's definition you could have a pretty good variance from one person to the next based on skill level. for your own purposes do what works for you.

You know anything that I throw my putter with is what I count as a putt, unless I am throwing my putter on the tee pad.

I would also say that another good rule is that anything you use a putting motion for as opposed to your regular throwing motion.

Officially though it is anything 10 meters and in.
If i did count putts and used everytime I threw a putter i would have tons of putts since i throw my putter on most approach shots of 150 or less most of which i am not seriously trying to make.

If i did count putts and used everytime I threw a putter i would have tons of putts since i throw my putter on most approach shots of 150 or less most of which i am not seriously trying to make.

iagree.gif

I use my putter (Rhyno) for almost everything less than 240'.

the reason it popped into my head is I had 23 putts on an 18 hole course (Zebulon, shot a 55)...it was a pretty good round, but I had 3 birds I should have made that would have dropped it to 21 putts...has anyone had a 18 putt or less round? that would be a pretty good accomplishment i would think

for score-keeping purposes, i've always counted putts as anytime i am trying to put the disc in the basket. on most drives I am not trying to make the disc into the basket, because if i miss, i will be way past the hole. the same goes for approaches. my goal on those shots is to be within putting range. However, once I get into the area of being able to either make the shot or miss and still be in my automatic area, then i start going calling them putts.

I consider inside 30' to be a putt and everything else is just a good run at the basket. I like to think of inside 30' as putting on the green in ball golf and outside of 30' is like chipping up to the hole.