• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What did I just score?

Like I said, I didn't handle the situation correctly. T'was a mess

I felt I deserved a much higher score than a double circle 6. The misplay out of the crap was a brilliant bit of field craft though lol

IMO walking back to retee is tacit declaration that the disc is lost. If the official 3 minutes hasn't elapsed, no one, least of all the thrower, should be giving up the search. If the search is being abandoned, the disc is lost.

please quote that rule?

Should have just played the found yellow disc as though it was the lost one and not said a word. Unless you won by a stroke or 2.

please quote that rule?

You're aware of what the acronym "IMO" means, right? "In My Opinion". I'm interpreting the action of a player, not a rule.

My opinion is that the act of walking back to the previous lie with the intent to re-throw is a tacit (defined as "understood or implied without being stated") declaration that the disc is lost. The player is walking away from the search in order to proceed as if the disc is lost, so how is he not saying that the disc is in fact lost?

Even if we're not buying the concept of tacit declaration, if he completes the re-throw, he has at the very least invoked the optional re-throw rule. Whether it's optional re-throw or calling the disc lost, the result is the same. The original disc's position is abandoned (found or not), a penalty is assessed, and the player proceeds with from the position of the re-thrown disc.

The only real catch with the OP's scenario is that he didn't actually get to the tee for a re-throw when a disc (ultimately not his) was found. But he admittedly was at/on the way to the tee with the intent to re-throw as if the disc was lost. That to me is what I'd call tacit declaration that the disc is lost. Nothing in the text of the rule requires a verbal declaration of such, so IMO, the action is enough to consider the disc officially lost.

JC - I understand what you are saying but the only reason we know that he was actually treating the disc as "lost" is that he told us on here; no one at the time of the search knew that was the case. He had not "declared" the disc lost as he had admittedly just gotten to the tee when he heard that someone had found "his" disc. You are exactly right on the optional re-throw if he actually had thrown a disc.
I don't feel that you can interpret the action of walking back to the tee as "declaring" the disc lost without verbal confirmation or an actual re-throw. I agree that the player should have announced his intentions whether it have been "I am re-throwing" or "I am gonna run back and get a better idea of where it went in". He said he still had time left.
All in all it was a crazy series of events without a doubt......................cheers

You're aware of what the acronym "IMO" means, right? "In My Opinion". I'm interpreting the action of a player, not a rule.
My apologies. I had overlooked that part.
But in that case I disagree with your opinion about a verbal or nonverbal declaration. IMO ;) The disc is lost when the 3 minutes are up. If you do a rethrow before that, it could be considered an optional rethrow (but the distinction is irrelevant). There is nothing about a declaration of lost in the rules, so even if you where to say out loud: "It's lost, I'm going to retee", that doesn't change that if at that second you find the disc and the 3 minutes have not expired, you should be allowed to play it. At least in my opinion there is nothing in the rules that disallows that scenario. The players on the card may see it differently, but playing it both ways does nothing for speed of play.

The whole point of heading back was I knew the 3 minutes was getting close and wanted to maintain speed of play

Latest posts