• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What distance do you putt from?

I'm sure folks will eventually tire if I make too many analogies to my experience, but, that's what I know right?! Anyway, I look at it much the same way I would look at which weapon to employ in a tactical situation. Like someone said earlier... just cause I can throw a putter 250' doesnt mean I putt from 250'... I would liken this to 'Point' targets and 'Area' targets. I have found my drivers are good for 200' point and 250' area, my mids are good for 150' to 200', and putters are 80' to 120'. Otherwise... I can get it there to an area range... I can get it close to a point range. It took me just throwing all of them enough times to figure those ranges out. I've met people who claim to have discs, like clubs in ball golf, that are for each specific 20' increment... whatever... I just play. Orc/Wraith/Teebird/Banshee for drivers, Roc/Panther for mids, and Omega Soft Putter. Nothin' fancy.

I usually use my putter from 150ft and in unless there's trees in the way and then I pull out the Roc. Anything over 250 and I pull out the drivers.

Use the putter if your in danger of flyin past the hole to much, either over a hill or hazard. The putter will stop quicker.

i would practice fluffing a putter at the basket from about 100-150 then work on "snap" putting don't change your normal putt(60) an in. just use the snap put on 70 plus shots. work on making your putter float to the basket for 100 plus shots. snap holds the putter in the air while force/arm speed projects it forward. same with a drive..... hope this helps, i jump put from 100 and snap 70 to 100 also fluff from around 150 - 200

I use a Ridge for putts inside the circle. (spin putt) I am pretty consistent inside 20 feet or so, but I struggle with putts longer than 25-30 feet. Typically, the fade of the disc comes into play and I find myself trying to hit the target as the disc goes from right to left with limited success.

For these longer putts should I just be putting more umph on my putt with the risk of it missing and going by the basket or switch to a more understable putter for longer distances?

I am really just curious if folks use the same putter for longer, "jump putt" type circumstances that they use for normal putts inside the circle.

Just started using a Zone, I putt up to about 50

from that far out i putt with a mako, but inside the circle use a zone.

I use a Ridge for putts inside the circle. (spin putt) I am pretty consistent inside 20 feet or so, but I struggle with putts longer than 25-30 feet. Typically, the fade of the disc comes into play and I find myself trying to hit the target as the disc goes from right to left with limited success.

For these longer putts should I just be putting more umph on my putt with the risk of it missing and going by the basket or switch to a more understable putter for longer distances?

I am really just curious if folks use the same putter for longer, "jump putt" type circumstances that they use for normal putts inside the circle.

The Ridge tends to drop pretty quick when it loses momentum. The way I play the putting game with my Wizards is generally I'll do a straight run at the chains from anywhere within 50' if the run doesn't present any hazards like a drop-off behind the basket. Further out and I use progressively more and more hyzer, to avoid the long come-back putts. With shorter ones I'm usually accurate enough to hit part of the basket and stop the disc if I don't make it, not so much with putts outside 60'. Using a jump putt with a strong hyzer release lets me confidently run the basket from 120' and not fear the come back putt at all, because when my disc lands it stays put.

Another thing to do is experiment with what ejank talked about, throwing longer putts with a more active wrist snap. The extra spin will help keep the disc in the air. A good way to practice this is putt from somewhere where a low hanging branch forces you to keep the disc no more than 10' off the ground, and putt from longer and longer distances. Putters can fly pretty far on an 8' high line given some strong wrist snap.

I'm wondering what distance is average when someone moves from mid-range to approach/putter discs. I'm wondering because there are so many putters out there but it seems like it doesn't make a difference since you're so close to the pin so something like "glide" wouldn't matter at that point.

Since I'm beginning... perhaps I'm waiting to pull out the putter too long.

How far do you comfortably putt from illuminatefreak? Most of my putts over 50' have very little chance of going in, but I can put it within 10' or less from under 100' most times with a jump putt. The big advantage I see from trying to throw a putt from that far away is that you keep the disc in front of you in your sightline, so you will rarely miss right or left. The downside to trying to jump putt from so far away, it that you may focus on the target so much that you fail to see small branches that may be hanging down in your flight path. If there is any sort of low ceiling, I would recomend you pull out your trust midrange and aim at the bottom of the pole instead. <-- Learned the hard way. Good luck.

50' to about 80' I will FH a JK, if the approach is tricky I will FH my gator, if the approach calls for a large hyzer or anny I will use my Blaze or the JK depending on distance.

I generally do not "go for it" outside the circle too far (maybe 40') because I have had too many instances of hitting the basket or top and ending up with another 40' and wind is a factor here a lot so open putts I will rarely putt very far because I have a pretty high loft so I switch to my gator for 20' in to minimize the effects.

My general goal is to not have to putt at all and place my second shot within drop in distance. If I am on this happens frequently...if I am not I swear a lot. :)

So on a 670' par 4 hole (#11 at Deis Hill Blue Tee), I made an awesome putt today, best one I've sank in a while. Threw my first drive to the left of the gap on the right, but got good D. Threw a small FH roller around and turn to line me up for a clear approach. Got the roller just far enough to feel comfortable jump putting my approach shot, so from 135' (Measured with steps) I took my 166g OG Wizard and jump putted it with a strong hyzer angle, 20' high and 20' wide of the basket. Hit center pole near the bottom of the basket, it was perfect.

I throw a mid(Cro) for putts, and only throw a putter on drives and upshots 150'-275'. Its all a matter of technique and feel. You may be confused for a while, but eventually something will click.

You may experience better releases with different putters and mids, all depending on domeyness of flight plate and depth and thickness of rim. I know I'm going slightly off topic, but just reflecting on my DG beginnings.

Bottom line, its all about what you're comfortable with. This can also apply to all aspects of your game. And what you're comfortable with will always be changing based on level of;
-technique
-experience
-strength
-knowledge of disc physics and technology

I putt from about 80 feet in. I throw my putter from 150-200 and in.

Straddle putts inside of 20'

Most other putts from 20' to 60', usually resulting in a big FAIL

I putt from about 80 feet in. I throw my putter from 150-200 and in.

^ +1

@OP
putting and throwing a putter is different.
depending of the terrain of the putt (steep downhill behind basket, ob, rollaway potential, etc.), i run at a putt from 45-70 feet. over that, i usually lay up or go at it very conservatively.

no if you're asking how far i use my putter from, i normally use it if im inside 150ft. i carry 4 different putters with me (3 wizards and a rhyno) and they all fly different and come in handy

being able to throw your putter dead straight with no fade for upshots is very valuable and a necessary skill

all depends on how I'm throwing and whats going on but usually only putt from fairly close range (50 ' and in) but have been known to pull out the putter wayyy deeper sometimes at an ace racer

i'm usually putting up to about 50-60 ft but will throw a putter up to 150 for an upshot and can drive a putter up to about 250-275 (which i don't do very often because my putters get a little squirrley when i really crank on them). if you only use a putter to putt with, glide or speed doesn't really matter