• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What division do you play in.

disc junkie said:
Parks said:
disc junkie said:
974, Advanced with a lil Open on the side

Going for Am Worlds this year?

that is definitely something I am considering. I would love to do it as 2010 will be my last year playing in advanced. After that itll be Open from here on out
What do you have to be rated to play Am Worlds?

Furthur said:
Nope. You just can't have taken cash in a sanctioned event.

yeah we have a guy around here doing that. He's won a couple of Pro events but is taking merch so he can try to win am worlds.

I know that there's been a big deal made about NC Ams that win Worlds, but it doesn't look like that translates that well to pro success. Just looking down the list of 2009 MPO participants, I think the best finish for a NC guy was Koling at 60th (which is a missed semifinals cut).

rodman20 said:
JimW said:
Intermediate, 900. Only one tourney is factored into that though and after my Mocassin Lake debacle I think I'll be able to play novice after the next update :lol:

Hey i think we met. We were hanging out in the backup on 16 and we talked for a sec about DGR and The Simian right?

Yessir!

so you can take cash in an unsanctioned event and still play ams for sanctioned events?

you can take cash in a sanctioned event and still play am (excluding majors) if your rating is <975.

hmm or <970, can't recall now.

Furthur said:
I know that there's been a big deal made about NC Ams that win Worlds, but it doesn't look like that translates that well to pro success. Just looking down the list of 2009 MPO participants, I think the best finish for a NC guy was Koling at 60th (which is a missed semifinals cut).

We've got a lot of good guys coming up right now that are right on the cusp of breaking out. I think in the next year or two NC is going to be making a comeback.

-especially now that Koling is over 1000 his confidence just went sky high.
-Johansen is probably playing some of the best disc golf i've seen out of him pretty much ever, he was in contention at USDGC the whole time.
-If Schwebs can keep healthy he's always been among the best
-Terry Gallops might be the new hotness as far as ams are concerned nation wide... that guy is monstrous
-David wiggins will be trying again at Am Worlds I hear
-Nate Brewer is a huge up and comer

NC is looking pretty strong atm...

NC has a massive talent pool. But let me see the results at a Major. I know both Schebby and Johansen have a strong USDGC track record, but it sort of falls off after that, especially lately.

I hope NC can put it together at some majors. It always seems like someone starts off strong but has a blow up round and ends in the middle of the pack. We need someone to go out and play consistent golf in an NT or Major event.

Terry Gallop will seriously be blowing it up soon though, the man has a thumber to rival Schwebby and is playing in every tourney he can.

Advanced, 922. I played my worst golf during many of my pdga tourney rounds, and some of my best golf during new england points series events. Hopefully I can keep improving my focus as much as my game, so I don't throw strokes and entire rounds away. I guess that's what the advanced division is for though :p

Open

Not sure about my rating...not a current member. At the last ratings update I was eligible for, it dropped from 973 to 960-something. I'm planning on playing more events in 2010, so I'll probably rejoin the PDGA soon.

Advanced rated 943. we have no courses around where I live that EVER have sanctioned events so the Sanctioned rounds I play are usually the first look at the course about 4 hours away. :cry: I usually have 2 good rounds and a sub 900 round :lol:

Where should a persons rating be at before they move up in a division? For example, 850 and below- recreational;910-850- Intermediate and so on.

I don't think it matters, as long as your not ignorant or obnoxious to people. A guy in town is trying to talk me into playing Open from now on.

sunspot said:
Where should a persons rating be at before they move up in a division? For example, 850 and below- recreational;910-850- Intermediate and so on.
All relative to the player.

I'm convinced I need to compete at the ADV level even though my rating tends to be lower. I know I can hang with or beat the best in my division when everything clicks for me so that is what I do.

I would suggest playing in higher divisions to see if your game elevates to the level of competition or if it gets in your head too much. I know if I was playing with a putt to win on the last hole it would be a lot more rewarding in ADV or Open than INT or lower and that is what I play for personally, that adrenaline/excitement...the only drawback being when nothing is working for you and you end up DFL instead of being somewhat competitive in a lower division.

I play rec (only played in 5 tournaments). I think I'm going to jump to INT for personal reasons. Rec just seems too casual for me. I love to just have fun, but when I'm in a group of some old guy, then a really good sand bagger, and maybe some annoying guy It really hurts my game. Is that a good reason to move up?

My best placing is 13th out of 42, along with 25th out of 48, and 16th out of 38. Also I don't like having excuses but I will say every tournament I've been in I have had a broken or sprained foot. My last tournament (13th) my foot was some what healed, but I wasn't 100%. First round I went +4, second round I went +12. You can see how walking around with a broken foot all day, fatigue took over me. If I would have went +4 each round (which would have been easy, I could have went even on that course) I would have been first or max top 5.

Again I don't like making excuses, if I belong in REC, I belong in REC. I think 2010 I'll be playing INT for the sake of the environment.

Latest posts