• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What Division Do You Play?

What Division Do You Play?

• Total voters
Advanced all though some days I play like I am intermediate. My thing is consistency though as I am sure it is for most people. All that means is more practice for me grasshopper.

My thing is putting. LOVE IT! and the longer the better. Ah, the sweet sounds of my aviar bashing some chains. Time for some night putting!!! :rolleyes:

I am playing my first formal tournament in 12-13 years in late sept. My disc golfing got interrupted by a pesky reconstructive shoulder surgery, and having to work too much in the summers. I didn't really know where I'd fit in, somewhere between advanced and intermediate, but chose intermediate based on others' recommendations for this first one to see where I stand. If I do well, going to go advanced in a tourny the very next weekend.

I am playing my first formal tournament in 12-13 years in late sept. My disc golfing got interrupted by a pesky reconstructive shoulder surgery, and having to work too much in the summers. I didn't really know where I'd fit in, somewhere between advanced and intermediate, but chose intermediate based on others' recommendations for this first one to see where I stand. If I do well, going to go advanced in a tourny the very next weekend.

My first one in 12 years was last Fall. I was jacked! Until I spent most of the day steppin' all over myself. Hence the 816 rating. But for the pass year I've been playing like a dog eats its food, like someone might take it away from me. This website has not helped the situation either.

Intermediate. There are very few tourneys around here that offer anything lower.

I play Ams doubles league more often than tourneys, and pretty much all the guys who play Advanced in tourneys are in the doubles Open (it only has two divisions). If I'm throwing well I'll normally cash at league, but to win a singles Intermediate tourney, I'd have to absolutely be on fire. I know I have the capacity, but rarely the consistency yet.

Intermediate. There are very few tourneys around here that offer anything lower.

I play Ams, and pretty much all the guys who play Advanced in tourneys are in the doubles Open (it only has two divisions). If I'm throwing well I'll normally cash at league, but to win a singles Intermediate tourney, I'd have to absolutely be on fire. I know I have the capacity, but rarely the consistency yet.

Keep at it. You never know when you'll light that match.

Us "old guys" were the ones that you saw throwin' frisbees at funny metal things and wondered WTF we were doing........ you're welcome ;)

Dude, I knew exactly what you were doing. I'm an old guy too. Check the numbers. Compared to most folks on this site, we are very old guys. ;)

I voted Grandmasters cuz I'm 51. But the tourney thing seems kinda wacky to me. I feel there should be Pro- Division and anything else is Am. Playing Rec or Inter for cash seems....goofy and just an opportunity for baggers.

I get my butt kicked by the best players in town on a regular basis. Of course they are 20 years younger than me. I do make them work...but I can't beat them. Then again..if I can get a few strokes... well...? I have a chance...but I still have to throw my best.

So....baggers can win some cash at tournies playing in levels that they can beat. Ha Ha. I beat you.

The Field...in those tournies are just regular guys who like to throw.

The Baggers.....can't compete with the real pros...hence...baggers.

But for an intemediate player...baggers blo hard. Or suck...which ever.

There's Pros....most of us are not. There's good rec players who don't have the time, $ or structure to practice as a Pro. And there are really good players who have no desire to play with the Pros and... a willingness to scam the Ams..

So.... the Tourney Payout thing is a scam. The best in Dsic Golf are making a living, but the rest are just being funneled thru the " Tourney" / " Player Pac" sink hole.

I voted Grandmasters cuz I'm 51. But the tourney thing seems kinda wacky to me. I feel there should be Pro- Division and anything else is Am. Playing Rec or Inter for cash seems....goofy and just an opportunity for baggers.

I get my butt kicked by the best players in town on a regular basis. Of course they are 20 years younger than me. I do make them work...but I can't beat them. Then again..if I can get a few strokes... well...? I have a chance...but I still have to throw my best.

So....baggers can win some cash at tournies playing in levels that they can beat. Ha Ha. I beat you.

The Field...in those tournies are just regular guys who like to throw.

The Baggers.....can't compete with the real pros...hence...baggers.

But for an intemediate player...baggers blo hard. Or suck...which ever.

There's Pros....most of us are not. There's good rec players who don't have the time, $ or structure to practice as a Pro. And there are really good players who have no desire to play with the Pros and... a willingness to scam the Ams..

So.... the Tourney Payout thing is a scam. The best in Dsic Golf are making a living, but the rest are just being funneled thru the " Tourney" / " Player Pac" sink hole.

Wow, Tri. Do I sense some bitterness? :confused:

I play in the women's division. I dress in drag and just murder the competition, the ultimate bagger.

Wow, Tri. Do I sense some bitterness? :confused:

Bitterness? Did it show? I love this sport, but I'm conflicted with how it tries to develop itself and yet 60-70% of the Disc buying Nation couldn't hit a 10 meter circle from 240 in an open fairway, yet....carry a PGDA # AND play as a rec or Interm. player. ....for money. Thats hardly Pro...in my opinion.

I play street B-ball. intermediate/ advanced/ rec.. I want a NBA Pro B-Baller card. Then I'm a Pro. ( and I can almost dunk and my left hand dribble is lame.)

Its a thread about player divisions....that seem to think they are pro caliber.... and I question that.

Last edited:
Intermediate right now. But I hope to go into masters at the Fall Colors in Newport News.

That looks like a great course in Newport News. I've been at the HS across the street a few times for All-State Band & Orchestra Event but never had my discs with me. I'll get to that course one day. Sounds like a ROAD TRIP!! :D

I play streetB-ball. intermediate/ advanced/ rec.. I want a NBA Pro B-Baller card. Then I'm a Pro. ( and I can almost dunk and my left hand dribble is lame.)

Its a thread about player divisions....that seem to think they are pro caliber.... and I question that.

Okay Tri, I don;t mean to kick at the horse but I just needed to noodle this through a bit. Seems you are miffed that any body can pay their fee and say they are a pro. That point is true. When I went pro, it wasn't because I was lighting it up in the Am division. It was because I had been playing for a while and I wanted to play with the pros. Back then there were only two Am divisions: AM & Adv AM. Now our poll, with the exception of the Open division which is strictly a pro division, the rest are represented in the AM division as well and Amateurs don't play for money (which I think is another sticking point with you.) They play for plastic and prizes. If an Am takes money at a PDGA event, they are no long an AM. I've always thought that globally the difference between an Am & a Pro is that Pros get paid. I think that you think that the PDGA just represents professional players which is not true. It represents ALL players & ALL skill levels. I'm not sure the PGA is the same way. So the fact that someone has a PDGA # doesn't mean they are playing pro. It just means they are part of an organization that is promoting the sport in more ways then just competition. I am assuming that you have been to the PDGA website and have checked things out. This is an interesting topic and I look forward to more chat & debate. :D