• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What division should i start out in?

Tross

I have yet to do any tournaments or anything and in 10 days there will be a championship going on at my local course. My avg for the course is +4 (keep track with easy scorecard on andoid). Wasn't sure if i wanted to do or should do recreational or novice.

Not sure if i can link this but if im wrong please tell me and i will remove it. Didnt see anything about it under the tournaments page for my area. http://www.discgolfscene.com/tournaments/Goldenrod_Championships_2011

If the estimated SSA on Easyscorecard.net are correct, then your +4 would be ~890 from the longs and ~860 from the shorts. That puts you pretty solidly in the REC division.

Very few players should their "usual" scores when starting out playing tournies. The easiest upshots and short putts have ways of getting hard, all of a sudden when every throw seems to count more. I'd say take the lowest Am division and enjoy yourself. Also, the TD can advise you, he's a helpful guy.

a local guy asked me what division he should play for his first tournament. i asked him to look online at the past tournaments (around here almost all are on www.discgolfscene.com) and find out what division he would have fit competitively in.

this took out any guesswork.

Without thinking about it too much go with Intermediate. If you find yourself struggling, try and learn some things and have some fun. If you're doing well, you're already in a competitive atmosphere so compete.

Ladies Rec.[/end]

If its your first tourney, def play Rec. Your scores suggest you will have to play very well to place well in the division.

it is much higher than entry level play, which is why there's a novice division for entry level players.

Rarely offered at most tournaments. Most the people I see playing Rec have either never bothered trying to get better or newer players.

Sounds like a problem with your local TDs not with the structure of divisions. Most around here offer all four am divisions and it seems to shake out very well for the most part.

Just play Rec. If you win then you get called a bagger, get some shwag, and move up next year. No one is going to shun you from the disc golf community for winning Rec in your first tournament.

that is why i said according to the pDGA. I completely disagree with their rating system. especially in NE AM2 is more 850-925.
Not unique to New England. Experienced tournament players pretty much everywhere tend to play up, even if they have a rating that qualifies them for a lower division. More than half of the MA2 players at my last event, myself included, could have played MA3.

Not unique to New England. Experienced tournament players pretty much everywhere tend to play up, even if they have a rating that qualifies them for a lower division. More than half of the MA2 players at my last event, myself included, could have played MA3.

The same goes here in Minnesota. Although I've seen TD's offer lower than MA2 I have yet to see anyone play MA3 or MA4.

Today I played in a tournament and no one was rated above 900 in the Intermediate (MA2) division. Only a handful of people shot a better than 900 rated round.

http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/64541

Just play Rec. If you win then you get called a bagger, get some shwag, and move up next year. No one is going to shun you from the disc golf community for winning Rec in your first tournament.
if you win your first tourney by say 10+ strokes you will get ridiculed.

good to know scarp

There's a lot of good ams here in Michigan, being a sanctioned tourney this will draw more of them in then a local club tourney. If its your first one play novice (am4) because your 4up will most likely double in a tournament setting. If your average holds or you beat it and crush your division don't feel bad, it doesn't make you a bagger. It's a completely different setting than the casual rounds your used to so don't be afraid to start low. Feel it out in your first tournament then you'll know where you belong the next time you play one.