• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do you aim at while putting?

What do you aim at when you putt?

• Total voters
Whole basket. Inside 30 ft I just focus on a nice straight putt into the basket. Outside of that, since I spin putt, I'll pick a line slightly to the right so my putter fades in and can hit the strong side of the chains. The farther away I am, the farther I aim to the right.

My putting has been pretty strong lately. Last 2 rounds I only missed once or twice per round inside the circle. And made quite a few putts outside of that.

My vision isn't good enough to pull the whole single link aiming thing at pretty much any distance, so I'm going for the pole.

I do this but I don't go "beyond the basket". I aim for a spot on the basket that's on the other side of the pole than I am. The reason I do that is because the misses don't blow past the basket as bad yet I'm still punching through my intended target.

I'll have to give that a try.

I'm enjoying this thread. Despite many years of perfecting my throwing/driving form it seems putting has never been a strong suit. So much mental stuff going on. Also how to visualize stuff as well.

I would be willing to be bet that even if you don't have super good hand eye coordination you can still learn to put well if you utilize other factors.

To answer your question the best place to aim-don't know. I did like one answer that it is actually some place in the air between you and the basket. A good zen like answer for sure.

Aim? I usually just fling my disc in the general direction of the basket and rejoice if it goes in. I only ever concentrate on 10' birdie putts into the wind :|

I concentrate center-pole, low inside the circle. Outside, I'm usually using a pretty overstable putter and aim for the curtains.

If there is tape on the pole about half way up, I try to make my putter hit the tape...the whole basket is too big a target for me...

If there is no tape on the pole, I aim at a link, half way up and just right of the pole, ..into the wind, I aim a little lower, wind at my back I aim a little higher, crossing wind I just add a little speed to get it there quickly.

The tape, when properly placed ( its doesn't come pre installed, and is at the discretion of the assembler to be placed in the correct area on the pole ) is stil the best aiming spot. Unfortunately, alot of targets dont use tape, so alot of you cant use this. :(

Other.

My focal point is a spot midair on the projected line. It's where I want the disc to break into the chains. Generally use slightly OS putters for this approach (RHBH, spush/pop putt, nose up). I pretend left of pole does not exist.

This often results in a line of sight that is through the basket, usually midway between the pole & outermost link of the right curtains.

For headwinds, the nose goes down & I reverse my approach.

Last edited:
The very right edge of the chains. I picked link but I guess it's more "links" plural for me. I noticed I putt slightly left of my aim frequently so I adjusted my aim - it's been treating me well for the past 2-3 years.

I'm really surprised Ricky Wysocki aims at the basket as a whole/relies on muscle memory when he putts. Especially after reading through this thread & looking at the poll results.

I just try to hit the damn basket, I'm the king of park jobs within 15 feet and still getting a 3.

Wrong, it's:

Drive for dough.

Putt for dough.

Upshot for dough.

:D

I like this. I got the drive, and the upshot...now I just need to work on the whole putting crap. Love doubles and getting on with a putting guy. I have been working on it, down to about a 15 foot circle that's nearly automatic. At 20 feet I'm about 7/10 or so and every once in a while I'll sink a nice long putt. 150-200 putts a day is paying off slowly.

I get my best results when I try to putt "through" the pole. Increasing the speed of the putt reduces the influence of the wind. 20 feet and in is well over 90%. The percentage goes way down when I have to alter my form for needed distance.

I use a "proven" form for short putts, but it just isn't reliable outside of 25 feet. I have 3 baskets in my backyard, but the long putt is still tough for me. My percentage of 30 to 40 foot putts is way below what the others in my group get.

I'm going to turn the floodlights on and hit a few right now.

Aim for the sticker on the pole. If there is no sticker just a spot on the pole about half way up.