• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do you consider a putt?

If it goes in the basket, it was a putt, otherwise, I was just approaching, even if I was only 15' away.

What I consider putts, is anything on the green/in the circle. Anything outside that I think of like golf - off the green Im going to chip the ball on to the green most likely. Not putt. So with that logic, outside the circle putts would be a chip shot.

For me it's all about intent. If I'm trying to put it in the basket, it's a putt. If I'm trying to putt it under the basket, it's a throw.

This. When I'm trying to make it, but it lands under the basket, I don't want to hear "Nice up". I was trying to make it. Without any danger near the pin, I'm running anything inside 120' and consider those long putts.

I agree - I think intent ends where your comfort zone ends though. At least in my mind it does. For me, Im pretty comfortable out to circles edge, which is why I said anything in the circle is a putt. as I get better out to say 40', that will be my "putting" range

The 10 meter circle is not the equivalent of the "green" in ball golf. It's not even close. The PGA tour 50% make distance for putts is around 5 feet. For 1000+ rated disc golfers the 50% make distance is close to the the 10 meter circle. There is no magic distance that would define a "putt" in disc golf, but it'd certainly be in the 100 to 200 foot range on a relatively open shot to be equivalent to the "green" in ball golf.

What is your definition of a putt?
Three things:
(1) Throwing my putter from a (2) putting stance with (3) intent to go in the basket.

Three things:
(1) Throwing my putter from a (2) putting stance with (3) intent to go in the basket.

Just to play De Ville's Advocate: Does it really have to be a putter?

Let's say I park my tee shot near the pin. I pick up the driver/mid that I just parked and chuck it in the basket.
Wasn't that a putt? :confused:

If that same gimme bounces off the chains, didn't I just miss a putt? ;)

I would argue drives, approaches and putts are different motions (mechanically), regardless of what type of mold you use to throw them. We often drive with mids or putters. Obviously certain molds are better suited for certain shots, but you get my point.

Last edited:
Three things:

Just to play De Ville's Advocate: Does it really have to be a putter?

Let's say I park my tee shot near the pin. I pick up the driver/mid that I just parked and chuck it in the basket.
Wasn't that a putt? :confused:

If that same gimme bounces off the chains, didn't I just miss a putt? ;)

I would argue drives, approaches and putts are different motions (mechanically), regardless of what type of mold you use to throw them. We often drive with mids or putters. Obviously certain molds are better suited for certain shots, but you get my point.
Okay ya got me, drop-ins are putts regardless of what disc I'm dropping in.

But there are also rare times I'll throw a non-putter (Gator, driver) with a putting stance and intent to go in the basket, but I don't count those as real putts.

I track my putts and for me, anything in the circle is a putt. I count anything over 45' as a zero putt. I picked 45' as the zero putt line because it was roughly 150% of the circle. If I was starting over, I'd designate 60' as the zero putt line, but I've been using 45' for so long now that I'm reluctant to change.

For tracking, since it is personal I use a combination of intent and what I think a "good" player would run.

Basically my comfort zone on a lot of tricky greens is closer to 15' and I'm laying up. My intent was not there but I count it because if I were a 1/2 decent putter I'd be trying to sink it.
If it is a big open green and I'm jump putting from 65' out I'm trying to putt so I count that as well.

In the end I want to track performance and see how my changes in scores corrolate to changes in putting attempts.
It's super subjective, but it kinda works for me.

If I could touch the basket from my lie it's a putt. Anything else is an upshot. I'm a pretty good player.

If I could touch the basket from my lie it's a putt. Anything else is an upshot. I'm a pretty good player.

Sadly, that's my 100% confidence range as well. I've certainly had misses from anywhere outside that range.

From 8 feet and beyond, I've had a surprising number of field aces while making those same "upshots." ;)

Latest posts