• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do you do when a "go to" shot isn't working?

What do you do when one of your dependable, "go to" shots isn't working for you?

• I give up and try to use a different shot.

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • I keep trying to throw it but fail, suffering many tree-hits, flex-outs, cut rollers, etc.

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • I fix it! I know how to correct and tweak my form.

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • What's a funk? My "go to" shot always works perfectly.

Votes: 7 11.7%

• Total voters

armiller

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Okay, so you've got "that shot" in your repertoire, and you depend on it. Maybe it's a nice laser with your Comet, maybe a perfect turnover with your understable driver that tends to drop onto unsuspecting greens. Or maybe it's a high forehand flex with a Teebird, or a handy forehand turnover with a Buzzz... You know the shot, and you depend on it to hit certain lines with confidence.

What do you do when something goes haywire? If you're in the middle of a tournament or day of disc golf, at what point do you quit trying and find another shot? If you don't give up on it, how do you go about fixing it?

I guess this applies both to "one day" funks, as well as longer term problems. I'd love to learn from DGCR's experience.

my go to shot is a 375-400ft FH with my Firebird. If it's messing up, it's usually because I'm rolling my wrist a bit, or let my release angle get messed up.

This can happen if I haven't played in a bit. As good as I am at throwing forehands, to throw them far and well consistently I need to throw them often to keep the timing and mechanics as solid as they need to be.

I've been playing for a little while now, so I can usually tweak my throws on the go. If something isn't quite right, for me anyway, the flight characteristics of the disc has probably changed due to normal wear or a hard crash into a tree or another obstacle. Then the task becomes finding a worthy replacement disc.

If my throws just aren't working for me...........just a normal day.

Comes down to confidence and whether you know why it isn't working and how to correct it or not.

I'll try to just focus on slowing down and simplifying the throwing motion. Typically my F-ups are when I'm trying to do too much and get sloppy. Getting to the hit clean and on your desired release angles is all you need.

If it's still not working, I'll disc down and accept a shorter version of the line I would otherwise try to throw.

I try to correct it, especially by throwing before a round, and by going through a checklist of the numerous things that can mess me up. If it's clear it's not happening for me and my brain won't let me fix it, I'll avoid that shot (like if my backhand tee shots are constantly getting pulled right, I'll just start throwing more and more forehands).

Comes down to confidence and whether you know why it isn't working and how to correct it or not.

If I have a problem (almost always) I can usually only pick two of the above three criteria and suffer through it till it comes together for a while.

Confidence
Know what's wrong
Know how to correct it

If I'm flubbing a shot I almost always know what I'm doing wrong and how to (hopefully) fix it on the fly. If I go through a battery of tweaks and I'm still screwing up I'll just clear my mind and throw without thinking about it and usually that's the ticket, just getting out of the way of the muscle memory.

Usually my trusty shot is a nice hyper flip to flat shot with my M3 that can ride for about 340 tops, then gently fall out of the sky. If that isn't working then I try beaming my m3 or being very touchy with my M4, and eventually I'll get the bad whatever out of my system and it'll come right back. But I'm voting "go-to shot equals money, every time" because I've literally only had that disc fail on me twice. And only once as really my fault.

2nd shot/putt always is how I wished the 1st went. Damn disc golf.

I find it pretty easy to adjust and let it rip. Biggest problem is just trying to hard initially-- being hulk or going fast etc doesn't add any distance or accuracy.

have a short memory

Forget the last shot, good or bad. Throw the next one.

About 2 years ago I had a 150ish big anhyzer upshot, hole 10 (I think) poor house farm. Ching! I nailed it. The resulting conversation:

Guy on card: "was that a jump putt?"
Me: "I don't remember." (I'm still walking to clear the basket)
Him: "what!!?"
Me: "really, I don't know."
Him: "bs, lol. What do you mean?"
Me: "I just threw it how I knew I needed to throw it. It went where I wanted. I don't remember how."

Paraphrased of course.

Always have a short memory and you'll never find the funk.

I couldn't find my response on the poll....

Curl up in fetal position and cry.

Thumbers

I've watched some videos and have been throwing thumbers for about 3 weeks now. Hit the football field for practice and bombed an innova wahoo 381 feet, about 1 foot off center. The wahoo is a very accurate overhand for me. A few throws later I threw my Epic 423 feet, but it coasted 60 feet right of my aimpoint. Heading back out today with my thumb wrapped in duct tape, because Owww!!! I can only get about 250 out of a flick before it spikes down. The wahoo and epic helix, then flatten out and fly forever when I get a good throw. They start left, tumble right, then usually fly left, the wind was left to right yesterday, which pushed my Epic right. I throw backhand like crap, and get about 300 out of my sidearm with a 150 class z flick. Thumbers are by far my most accurate shot, and my go to when my sidearm is acting up. Just picked up a used whippet yesterday, so I'll give that a go, but I haven't seen anyone post anything about overhanding a wahoo.

Attachments

• 20161001_124524.jpg
    20161001_124524.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 20
What do you do when something goes haywire? If you're in the middle of a tournament or day of disc golf, at what point do you quit trying and find another shot?

Had this happen to me on Saturday playing a tournament. I literally could not drive at all. Upshots and putting were fine, but I could not drive. Cost me stroke after stroke. If I would have just stood still and throw a mid or putter I would saved alot of strokes, but I kept on trying to recover my drives. I should have stopped trying and just throw a stand still. Hard lesson learned.

I've watched some videos and have been throwing thumbers for about 3 weeks now. Hit the football field for practice and bombed an innova wahoo 381 feet, about 1 foot off center. The wahoo is a very accurate overhand for me. A few throws later I threw my Epic 423 feet, but it coasted 60 feet right of my aimpoint. Heading back out today with my thumb wrapped in duct tape, because Owww!!! I can only get about 250 out of a flick before it spikes down. The wahoo and epic helix, then flatten out and fly forever when I get a good throw. They start left, tumble right, then usually fly left, the wind was left to right yesterday, which pushed my Epic right. I throw backhand like crap, and get about 300 out of my sidearm with a 150 class z flick. Thumbers are by far my most accurate shot, and my go to when my sidearm is acting up. Just picked up a used whippet yesterday, so I'll give that a go, but I haven't seen anyone post anything about overhanding a wahoo.

Good news, you'll never have to pay much for replacements.

Latest posts