• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do you look for in a disc

Adaven

Eagle Member
Hello all,

I am working on an operations project for class which will entail that I write up an operations case study of Discraft. Right now I am looking to gather some preliminary data to better focus my paper.

My first Question to the forum members is what characteristics do you look for when you buy a disc? choose your top three reasons and think in general terms of what motivates you to buy one over another. Also, please note that this is not an Innova v Discraft thread, I would like to know why you buy regardless of brand affiliation.

the characteristics I look for are:
Quality
Consistency (discs in different runs act similarly)
Aesthetics

Thanks for your help in advance I think this is going to be a fun project.

I like my discs to have a good sense of humor, but not to laugh at all of their own jokes...I like them to be smart, but not arrogant about it. A disc that likes the outdoors is key...although sometimes it's nice just to spend a quiet night watching some tv on the couch with my disc...

In order of what I look for:

1. Aerodynamic shape - What's it going to potentially replace, what gap does it need to fill
2. Feel - Gotta feel comfortable in my hand
3. Weight - Drivers I like best in the mid 160s. Approach discs from 150 to 177ish. With the same mindset as the shape.

And aesthetics are important too. Once I settle on the right disc, then what color will be easiest to see when it inevitably winds up in the woods, a pile of leaves, the briars, bushes, creeks, and buried under the snow.

Hope that is helpful.

i would say i either buy discs to fulfill a need for specific flight characteristics (generally replacing something i already know) or out of curiosity (hard to resist the newest, fastest driver).

Are you talking about choosing molds or specific discs?

Imagine all your discs were stolen, you have to go to the imaginary store and buy new discs. At this imaginary store they have every disc in the world. At this point why do you buy what you buy. Don't think in terms of needing a specific disc for your new bag but again in very general terms. What motivates you?

I like my discs to have a good sense of humor, but not to laugh at all of their own jokes...I like them to be smart, but not arrogant about it. A disc that likes the outdoors is key...although sometimes it's nice just to spend a quiet night watching some tv on the couch with my disc...

Smart A$$.:)

Imagine all your discs were stolen, you have to go to the imaginary store and buy new discs. At this imaginary store they have every disc in the world. At this point why do you buy what you buy. Don't think in terms of needing a specific disc for your new bag but again in very general terms. What motivates you?

Honestly, I'm not one of those guys who examines his disc before he buys it...I buy based on marketing and reviews.
I think quality plastic has always been one motivator...as I don't really like my discs flight characteristics to change radically over it's life.

Don't think in terms of needing a specific disc for your new bag but again in very general terms.
I guess I'll try.

1. Mold
2. Plastic type
3. Weight
4. Color

There is a bit of overlap in 3 and 4. I'll look for a weight range and then pick the best color in that range if I have the options.

Weight! Good call garublador!
I don't throw heavies....if it's a driver over 170, it's probably not for me. Accurate weights!!

In order of importantance:

Function (driver, putter, mid)

Weight for function. (lighter for drivers, heavier for mids and putters)

Stablilty (an understable putter won't cut it)

Glide (the longer the disc the more glide I want)

Durability (ESP is nice in the woods)

Hand feel (of course it has to feel like I want to throw it)

Hope that what you wanted.

i like discs that arent uncomfortable in my hand, have good flight characteristics for all different types of shots also a disc with a good grip is good. and the best characteristic of a disc is they don't talk back to you also weight is important as i dont throw any drivers over 170g unless i already have them

This is a good topic and really has me thinking about what I actually do rather than what I think I do.

1. The first thing I think about is what I have heard about the disc. Meaning I will read reviews and look for a disc that I think is a good disc that will fit a need that I have. Even with no discs in my bag I am going to want a disc that fits into the way that I play the game.

2. The second thing is the feel in my hand. Obviously just holding it is important as there is something about the way a disc feel in your hand. This also will include the way it flies as there is a sense of being able t feel the disc through the flight. This is not always an option but I am more likely to buy a disc if I have thrown it somewhere else before.

3. The third thing I will look at is Color and Weight. While neither of these is super critical, they do become determining factors in buying one disc over another in the same mold. For instance, with drivers I want a color that is going to be easy to spot in most conditions. With putters I like the color blue because it is calming right before a big putt. Ideally I would also like my discs color cordinated by flight pattern. As far as weight is concerned I like stuff that is between 170 and 172.

In order

Stability
Glide
Distance
Speed as a tie breaker
(Here I know what mold I want)
Weight
Color (final decision of discs in the same mold and weight I want)

Please note that repetition is welcome. Don't think because someone else said it you are just being redundant.

In order

Stability
Glide
Distance
Speed as a tie breaker
(Here I know what mold I want)
Weight
Color (final decision of discs in the same mold and weight I want)

Shoot. Past my edit time but Plastic/Feel comes after weight. If I cant get the weight I want in that progression, I dont get it in that plastic, but certainly will pick plastic before color

i like a disc that listens to me... but is also willing to speak its mind. Fast is good... but stable is good too. Doesn't always have to be right on, but its nice to have a disc that wants to be on and is always willing to get in...

i like a disc that listens to me... but is also willing to speak its mind. Fast is good... but stable is good too. Doesn't always have to be right on, but its nice to have a disc that wants to be on and is always willing to get in...

I beat all my discs until they learn to listen to me. Chinese Water Drop Torture works great.

Latest posts