• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do you love about disc golf?

I like getting up to the tee and just winging it. Love ripping into one. Low scoring is awesome but it's almost cathartic to launch one as hard as you can.

Chuck Kennedy said:
Lately, the fun has been in still beating the youngsters driving 400+ feet when I only throw Super Class discs for the whole round... :)
Seeing that Chuck made a post and betting with my buddy on whether or not he mentions Super Class. :lol: :lol:
Just busting your chops Chuck. Actually some guys at league were talking about super class events so word is getting around to the rank and file.

Giving people advice and actually seeing the results after a few drives is another one for me. So far I've taught 4 people how to play, and it's very satisfying when everything finally clicks mentally for them.

I also take pleasure in selecting discs for my friends then seeing what a dramatic difference it makes in just a few throws. I'm no pro or anything, but I understand power requirements/flight ratings and the basic fundamentals of proper form, so with just a few tips an discs I got them hooked on the sport and they are pretty good now.

domromer said:
keltik said:
alright dom i feel like i need to ask this.....did you just recently lose your job?......it's okay man i got laid off at the end of february and i've had trouble filling the days too......but damn dude.....you are about to set a record.....

okay back to what you asked: it's the challenge and the frustration and the payoff.....for every tree i hit, every spit out every brick, every low putt, every shank, every screw up is a learning point.....and it all gets smoothed over when i hit a 40 ft putt....or when i park a 330 ft drive.....or when i slip that 130 ft up shot between that tiny gap in the trees.....it all feels like an accomplishment.....and i'm becoming a minor league plastic nerd

word to your mother

Ha ha ... No not really. I work as a freelance photographer so I don't really work a 9-5 as it is. But it just so happens that we bought a new/old house and I've been spending the last 2 weeks working on it. I'm easily distracted and have my iphone on me all the time so it's oh see easy to take a break and hop onto dgr. That and I was living in Tucson for 9 months where they have one old busted ass course so some weeks I didn't even play golf. Now that I'm back in Flag with our 6 killer courses I'm back to playing 6 times per week. Actually the amount you see me posting is kinds normal. My first 2 years on dgr I was always amung the top 5 posters..... So does that answer your question?

that's a big 10-4 team buddy.....i'm still relatively new to the site.....and i guess now i'm seeing your resurgence.....

oh and chuck you make me want to throw pie pans at old garbage cans

I love that when I am at the course I don't think about anything other than this game.

When I can't sleep at night I play my local course shot by shot in my head. I have aced hole 4 twice that way, but I have yet to make it past hole 5 before I fall asleep.

It's played in beautiful parks.

Good exercise

Fills my competitive itch.

It's cheap recreation

Similar challenges as ball golf but less expensive and plays quicker.

The creativity you use in selecting what type of shot to play in a given situation.

All the people I've met in my 22 yrs of playing this game.

Summer disc golfing is what keeps me coming back. When I go to a beautiful course and it looks like a jungle, it makes me feel like a kid again. I can appreciate my surroundings and just get lost in them. Thoughts of the bull crap I usually worry about cease and I can just enjoy myself.

I love watching discs fly, and watching good players manipulate the flight of their discs to get a desired result.

It's also nice since my wife plays, we can spend time together doing something that we both love to do.

Mainly, it's because I've always been fond of progression type sports and hobbies. Every day you go out, you can learn something new about the game. No matter how much you learn or accomplish, there is still always another goal to shoot for when you meet your current one.

I could go on for days, there are just so many things to love about playing this game.

gratefuldisc said:
I love that when I am at the course I don't think about anything other than this game.

When I can't sleep at night I play my local course shot by shot in my head. I have aced hole 4 twice that way, but I have yet to make it past hole 5 before I fall asleep.

lol - yeah... some people count sheep when they can't sleep, I like to count throws from recent rounds - it is rare that I make it through an entire 18 before I doze off.

my fav thing about disc golf is being outside

i have always liked being in the woods even if it was just walking around but now that i have discovered discgolf i can do it almost everyday and only be 10mins from the house

I really love playing dg. That is the main reason. There is something hypnotizing about disc flight.

Easy to find 5 dollar leagues no matter where I am in the US and Canada . If its a place I go a lot I get to know the people. I've played leagues in san francisco more times than I've played leagues in minneapolis.
Its does not take as long or as much planning as other sports. This is important when you have a job and 3 kids under 6 years old.

Being outdoors, hanging out with good people, the sense of satisfaction you get when you play well.

Mainly the sound of the chains when you hit any shot from 15 feet and out.

Being able to play whenever I want, for free. I live in one of the sunniest places in America. I can probably count on one hand the number of days in the last year when the weather was bad enough to keep me off the course.

No green fees, no tee-times, no dress code.

I guess I oughta answer my own thread.

1. Being outdoors in the fresh air, often times deep in the woods while playing tree courses.

2. Travel! I go a lot of places with my job and always bring a few discs with me.

3. Meeting new people, I've met so many cool people through disc golf. Pretty much anytime you meet another golfer you have an instant repoir.

4. Competition, I'm a bad winner and a bad looser, golf gives me a chance to vent my inner jock.

5. Progress, watching myself get better remebering when I could only drive 80ft. Hell after 6 years of playing I can crush it 100ft like nobodies business.

6. You can be a gear geek in golf and it's still cheap compared to motorcycles and fast cars.

Chuck Kennedy said:
You might love it just like the thread title AND it might improve your game... :D

exactly!

my knowledge has improved even greater than that of Chuck Norris himself!

now, by replying to the actual original post to this thread i will say that the accomplishments you make throughout your years of DG if you search for it are far greater then finding out for yourself, unless your a prodigy is def. why i love this game.

some people get it, some people need coaching, but there is no one in this world that can NOT get it without hard work and finding and playing within themselves.

the whole point of the sport of golf is finding yourself and doing the best you can at beating the course, not your opponents. which is done through your mind of your own self.