• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do you play for?

banknwank

Eagle Member
I met a group of guy last week at the local dg course and joined the group for a few laps around the course. The weather was cold, no sun, a little wind and snow on the ground. it was the most fun i have had in a while. They had a grudge match going on over the prized "trophy disc". just an average used golf disc, butt it was the bragging rights that was the true prize. They allowed me to participate but i couldnt have the disc if won, but i could sign and date if i won. It was alot of fun and we were all evenly matched with a tie for second only being one throw behind the winner. there were a few rule disputes and as the neutral guy in the group i got to make the call.

point being, it was a blast and a touch more competetive than your average casual round. What kind of stuff do you play for with your friends.

To be crowned champion of all things disc golf of course. No really, the thrill of throwing that perfect shot, the pressure, the exercise, the comradery, the competition, the list goes on and on. But specifically, bag tags are always fun, even throwing down a couple bucks is fun. What I'm trying to say is, IT'S ALL FUN. I can't put my finger on one thing. Disc Golf is just the best sport in the history of sports. To choose one would be disrespectful to the game.:clap:

To be crowned champion of all things disc golf of course. No really, the thrill of throwing that perfect shot, the pressure, the exercise, the comradery, the competition, the list goes on and on. But specifically, bag tags are always fun, even throwing down a couple bucks is fun. What I'm trying to say is, IT'S ALL FUN. I can't put my finger on one thing. :clap:

couldn't have said it better myself :thmbup:

To be crowned champion of all things disc golf of course. No really, the thrill of throwing that perfect shot, the pressure, the exercise, the comradery, the competition, the list goes on and on. But specifically, bag tags are always fun, even throwing down a couple beers is fun. What I'm trying to say is, IT'S ALL FUN. I can't put my finger on one thing. Disc Golf is just the best sport in the history of sports. To choose one would be disrespectful to the game.:clap:

Agreed. Just with one minor switch..

I wanna be the very best...like no one ever was.

Really though I just want competition and to get better. I've always been competitive. The prize for me is winning, period. Practice rounds, casual rounds are fun and I enjoy them, but as far as "what I play for" i just love to win and see how much better I can become. My buddies and I used to play dollar skins, but as I kept practicing it quickly lost its appeal. Now we play for beer. :) winner of the skin gets a beer or gives a beer, their choice.

To be crowned champion of all things disc golf of course. No really, the thrill of throwing that perfect shot, the pressure, the exercise, the comradery, the competition, the list goes on and on. But specifically, bag tags are always fun, even throwing down a couple bucks is fun. What I'm trying to say is, IT'S ALL FUN. I can't put my finger on one thing. Disc Golf is just the best sport in the history of sports. To choose one would be disrespectful to the game.:clap:

This nails it.:hfive: And either a couple bucks or a couple beers as Whitefedora mentioned is good. :thmbup:

We have a group of 5 from Iowa who drive to Tulsa and meet a group of 5 old high school and college friends who live in Texas for a weekend of disc golf: Iowa vs Texas. We have singles matches, doubles matches, one team alternate round, and one team best shot round. Everyone pays $10 but it's more about the bragging rights. Team Iowa won last year and donated all of our winnings to buy pizza for everyone on the last night there. So I guess we play for $10 each.

well stated!

I just want to say that, personally, I play in pursuit of that one beautiful shot that inspires me to do it again. The little tickle of an adrenaline rush when you face a beautiful, natural hole on an awesome spring day, with a line you're pretty sure you can hit with this disc, and that release...and you exceed your expectations as the disc arcs gracefully down the fairway to land parked by the basket. I can live a whole week on that feeling. :eek:

So I look for new courses to bring me a novel grin. I play in leagues and tourneys to learn from and compare myself to others enjoying the journey. And I spend too much time on DGCR reading how we all try to help/ tease/ abuse/ and amuse each other about this fun sport.

For the money, for the glory, and for the fun... mostly for the money.

I think he's asking a specific question of "what do you play for when you play disc golf with your friends?" rather than a general "why do you play disc golf?".

.. to try and beat my main discing buddy..

Last edited:
To be crowned champion of all things disc golf of course. No really, the thrill of throwing that perfect shot, the pressure, the exercise, the comradery, the competition, the list goes on and on. But specifically, bag tags are always fun, even throwing down a couple BEERS is fun. What I'm trying to say is, IT'S ALL FUN. I can't put my finger on one thing. Disc Golf is just the best sport in the history of sports. To choose one would be disrespectful to the game.:clap:

Yup, well put. I would add the chance to commune with nature. I have ultimatley seen so many spectacular natural moments. Of every kind.

i agree, and that is the point my post. but i was more lloking for the goofy things like a garden gnome, or anual grudge match between old friends. the goofy prize , is just a goofy prize. but all the above is what the goofy prize stands for.

Two of my friends that I play with are brothers. Every Sunday we all go out and they have their own tradition: whoever shoots worse has to wear a pink hat that says "loser" every match until they win. Right now it's winter so it's one of those warm hats with the little dangly parts to tie snug under your chin. In the summer it is a pink visor.

Fun. It's all for fun. Casual rounds, or playing for tags, or just playing solo with my kids in tow. I play to clear my head, get out into the woods, and relax. I occasionally play tourneys, and I like league nights, but I know I can't really compete, so I just try to have fun and socialize.

Two of my friends that I play with are brothers. Every Sunday we all go out and they have their own tradition: whoever shoots worse has to wear a pink hat that says "loser" every match until they win. Right now it's winter so it's one of those warm hats with the little dangly parts to tie snug under your chin. In the summer it is a pink visor.

THATS MORE THE KIND OF STORY I WAS LOOKING FOR. :thmbup: I would have be the one wearing it , more often than not....

Last edited:
I play with a few crews (be cool, get invited :thmbup:) and one thing that keeps me coming back is the grass roots sh!t talk. The type that solicits questions from non-regulars, explanations, and reinvigorates the value of the initial comments.

Then there's the World Champ Medal. It's actually made of wood harvested from a dead tree on a local course. There's a whole subset of rules and regulations subject to a commissioner approval. One time, I won it. I wore it during the 2nd round during which other players would notice it and ask about it. I felt incredible.

And some small wagers. It's fun winnng 40ozs from a sad player, going to sad player's abode to drink the 40oz, and rehashing the round with sad player.

And of course shutting down sh!t talk is always good. I get called out often for 2-3 discing. One time I was down 2 (3 holes in) when this fella wants to make a wager. I agree because I got that swagger. But then he says I got no chance cuz the pros need more than 2 discs and that I can't ever be a pro. You see, this particular sh!t talk was weak in content and thusly just obnoxious. I tell you what, I played with a purity in mind as though I was an instrument of divine fate. Ended up 3 in front of the fella. We did not see him the rest of the week. Spirit broken, harmonious balance secured, and another 40oz to my account.

Latest posts