• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] What do you throw for thumbers?

Select up to 3. What do you throw for thumbers?

• Nuke OS

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • Stiletto

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • O-Lace

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • D1

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Ape

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Giant

• Boss/Quasar

Votes: 8 4.1%
  • Destroyer/Scorpius

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • PD2 Chaos/Xcal

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Force

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Max

Votes: 8 4.1%
  • Flick

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • Monster

Votes: 12 6.1%
  • Firebird

Votes: 98 50.0%
  • Predator

Votes: 19 9.7%
  • XXX

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • Trident

Votes: 17 8.7%
  • Xtreme

• Viper

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Whippet

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • Banshee

Votes: 19 9.7%
  • Drone

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • Gator

• Zone

Votes: 12 6.1%
  • Pig

• Total voters
I selected Firebird and Zone but really I mostly throw upshot thumbers with an Anode. I can loft it up and over trees to finish right and land flat much easier than trying to stick a high anny.

I selected Firebird and Zone but really I mostly throw upshot thumbers with an Anode. I can loft it up and over trees to finish right and land flat much easier than trying to stick a high anny.

Same reason I have turned to thumber ...... Just haven't developed a trust worthy turn over/anny shot. I either glide a mile past my mark, or turn and burn. But, thumber/overhand just doesn't feel the same as the nice , smooth, traditional flight of a disc. But sick of posting a boge cause I can't work it to the right.

I have been using champ 12x third, but only cause I need it to beat in a little. It rolls a little faster than I would like and hoping the fbird will fit the slot. It sounds like it's the thumber disc to have. I am only good for about 230 with tb and hoping the slower roll of the fab will help me stretch it out a bit.

A Firebird will definitely give you a bit more distance due to its slower turn. I used a Champ Teebird to learn Thumbers with and then moved on to an 11x Firebird. I can get out to 300ft. on flat ground with my Firebird. I also like Champ Banshees when i need a faster turn.

Beast was the disc I learned to throw tommy/thumbers with and deserves some love, very accurate disc, not quite as long as some others but easy to land in the circle

I know what you mean, some of those stable to understable drivers are great for lesser arms or people needing easy high elevation to get over an obstacle, I use a Banshee now (or possibly one of the flatter more overstable Illusions if I am just bringing one driver to use since it has more varied uses), but I used to use an Archon when I started because the only person I knew who also used this shot used discs like that or the Sidewinder, I didn't know overhand was supposed to be the realm of overstable until later on when I had access to things like this site and flight charts. Even crazier, as universally reviled as they are on sites like this, now that I get around a bit and have played some different courses, I've met a few different people who swear up and down by the Groove and Monarch for overhand.

Ok, I got a beginner (dumb) thumber question for all you experienced players. I feel bad asking, but I want to start thumbing a specific 2-3 holes at my local course. Not sure where to start.

What would a faster speed disc flight be compared to slower speed (ie when it breaks, left to right movement)? And, how does a under stable vs. over stable disc fly (slower/faster turn)?

And ultimately, why does the firebird smash almost all others in the polls? Is it the perfect combo of speed and stability? (I was thinking of getting a lighter weight ape or destroyer, is this a bad idea?) thanks!

I would recommend using an OS disc that feels good in your hand with a thumber grip. XXX, Predator, Firebird. With those three you can't go wrong. Then just keep throwing it, and learning how it flies. Try different arm angles and releases to get different lines and flight paths. If you don't have one of those start with whatever you have that's close. A Teebird, Nuke, Trident or any OS driver will work.

zenbot's OH Rant: Copy and Pasted for your perusal.

zenbotticus "robotface" rex said:
There is conventional wisdom that can help you with disc selection. I don't subscribe to the theory that you should only use overstable discs.

Overstable discs will complete their turn more slowly. This increases the amount of time the disc is parallel to the ground which keeps it in the air longer.

Less stable discs complete their turn more quickly. Less distance but I find them to be more accurate as the disc starts falling to the ground quicker and is less influenced by wind and variances in your release angle.

One other note is that if you're throwing an understable thumber you need to aim slightly more left of the target than you would with an overstable disc. (Assuming you're throwing RH)

To get you started the Firebird is a very popular disc for overhand. I use my for distance thumbers and a Teebird for shorter shots. Keep in mind that overhand shots are rough on discs. I recommend premium plastic.

To read more about thumbers and tomahawks here's some other threads you might enjoy...but you don't have to take my word for it.

LEVAR-Rainbow.png

Why overstable for OH?
Thumber disc poll
OH distance
overhand plastic
Thumber Tips
Whats your favorite overhand disc?
Tomahawk vs. Thumber
Overhand Throws: Does discing down still apply?
What was your overhand disc of 2010?
Thumber disc?
Thumber/tohahawk thing...
Disc Selection for Overhand Shots
best tomahawk/ overhand driver?
thumbers - good discs to buy
Overhand disc
What is the best overhand disc?
Favorite Tomahawk Disc?
Trying to incorporate the Tomahawk into my game.
Help: Overhand throws.
Thomahawk and Thumber
Overhead Discs
mid or putter thumbers?

I was being nice, and offering him a short simple approach you big bully.

zenbot's OH Rant: Copy and Pasted for your perusal.

That'll do, thanks for the comprehensive guide to throwing overhand! :thmbup: I got some catching up to do.

I just went out for fieldwork, thumbers. Brought a variety of discs from understable to overstable and fairways to distance drivers. My Trident, Firebird and Flick all flew the way I was hoping too as well as felt the best in the hand. I think Ill work with these…

Thanks.

I personally don't need much else besides the flat 12x ones - I carry one 157g and one 171g; very predictable and can be quite long as well, I can throw my 157g 325ft+. I honestly don't get great results with less OS stuff - it flips very fast (doesn't go far) and I think the amount of power I throw with causes fluttering out of my hand. I've gotten so used to the flat FB's that I put a huge amount of force behind my thumbers. Here is my mini OH rant from another thread:

Tomahawk = similar to sidearm grip - usually two fingers or power gripped; starts to the right and finishes left for a RH player.

Thumber = completely different grip using thumb to 'hook' the rim and thrown like a fastball; starts to the left and finishes right for a RH player.

Most 'overhanders' are good at one and not the other - sidearm people tend to gravitate towards tomahawks. Both shots can be used for precise placement, distance (typically very OS discs like the Firebird), and just to get over obstacles. Headwind causes a thumber or tomahawk to 'lose' its' flex out to the left or right (in the early portion of the flight) - essentially forcing it straight and then heading left or right (depending on shot) of a 'straight-center' shot. Angle of throwing can also have a big impact on how much a disc flexes out to one side and/or when it begins it's fade back to the left or right. For example, using something like a Firebird for distance and throwing it on a near-vertical (|) angle will cause it to flex out hard and fight back to a 'straight-center' landing spot; throwing a Zone on a near horizontal angle (-), which is really tough to do with a tomahawk and easy with a thumber, will result in almost an immediate 'fade' action (right for RH) with no early flex ... making it useful for sharp angles and weird approaches.

OH shots are some of the least understood shots in DG - and some of the least performed as they are not particularly good on the elbow and shoulder and require some natural arm strength and baseball type skills to throw effectively. Even though I can throw a good thumber I've learned to rely on my backhand instead; prolonged and constant OH shots will eventually result in injury. I try not to throw more than 3 per round - often just 1 or 2.

My main disc for thumbers/tomahawks is an Opto XXX. It never leaves my bag for that reason. Depending on the line I want to shape, I will occasionally use a PD, as well.

I will say, also, that in my one-disc rounds, I've had some success with overhead Anode throws.

Like others above, I don't use them much, maybe a couple times or so per round. A little hard on the shoulder these days, like trying to throw a baseball long-toss without warming up.

Right now if I have to throw a Thumber which I try to avoid I use a Z Predator for longer ones and a Glow Roc3 for shorter or maybe a Pro Pig. I want to get a Banshee and give it a try for this slot.

Ok, I got a beginner (dumb) thumber question for all you experienced players. I feel bad asking, but I want to start thumbing a specific 2-3 holes at my local course. Not sure where to start.

What would a faster speed disc flight be compared to slower speed (ie when it breaks, left to right movement)? And, how does a under stable vs. over stable disc fly (slower/faster turn)?

And ultimately, why does the firebird smash almost all others in the polls? Is it the perfect combo of speed and stability? (I was thinking of getting a lighter weight ape or destroyer, is this a bad idea?) thanks!

I throw Teebirds, Resistors, Firebirds, Mantises (Manti?) and Eagles in that order for thumbers consistently. I'll occasionally toss something more understable when i want a quick roll through a tree-lined window or some other tight shot. I use a champ Teebird because it gives me 95% of the distance of my Firebird with a tighter, more controlled roll. I use a thumber as an approach, or trouble shot mostly, but occasionally there are tee shots where I trust it more than any other shot in my arsenal.

iDG, to answer your question, yes the Firebird is the perfect mix of overstablity and speed for max distance thumbers. However, as many others have stated you can thumb any disc. The only thing that will change is how quickly the disc rolls. Personally I like a little quicker roll in order to maintain control. Just experiment and see what you like. I'd recommend the Eagle or a similar disc as a good starting point.

160 Firebird is always in my bag as a utility disc that I can't live without... great for thumbers,FH, BH. I pull it out in the wind, I don't know why I didn't put one in the bag sooner. The thing I love the most is how tough it is to burn it into the ground it will take a considerable amount more anhyzer than a Predator before it hits that critical angle. Glow Stalker.. it's not on the list for good reason I'd imagine but it's offbeat thumber dynamic and great BH flight make it a utility staple in my bag. On short shots I can thumb it out straight and it cuts back hard to the right saving the embarassment of a botched FH. I also didn't see the Beast on the list same thing great all round utility and thumber disc.

Wow….guess I'm the only thumber to use a Villain. Won't get me max distance but has a very predictable flip and rarely rolls away.

i haveve been using a tbird 12x champ. its good for aroud 230+/-. rolls fairly quickly. I also threw my tl on some shorter approach thumbers, it didnt move too much left to right and was easy to toss overhand. i did huck the tbird on a couple of down wind thumbers yesterday. it didnt roll all the way and went about 100 ft past the target on a upside down glide. i found a guy at local course that hated his firebird and he gave it to me. he only had about 250 ft of power and trying to throw a firebird backhand? anyway, i will be checking it out for thumber duty.:thmbup:

i throw a thumber if i absolutely have too. i can throw most ways out of every situation other than up. that is when the thumber comes in handy. i also suck at thumbers.

It's shocking to me that there aren't more people voting the Flick on this. If you haven't tried it, I HIGHLY recommend it. For me, it's hands down the most comfortable to throw as a thumber due to it's extremely thin profile, not to mention you can bomb them, and because they are so thin, they often tombstone and stick right where you put them, very seldom to I ever get rolls or bounces with my Flicks!

Latest posts