• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do you throw over the water?

What do you throw over the water?

• Crappy plastic I can easily replace

Votes: 69 45.4%
  • A floater

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • My best disc. I've got this one covered.

Votes: 72 47.4%

• Total voters
Depends on conditions for me. For example, I visited West Lake Park in Davenport, IA for the first time 2 weeks ago. With sustained winds in the 20-25 MPH range and gusts around 40, I decided to take a chance with some older, beat up DX Valks, beasts and starfires.

I would not have taken a chance with my go-to drivers in that situation and it turned out to be a good decision b/c I lost a DX starfire on #2 and a DX beast on #5. I probably should not have thrown anything on #5 with that wind, but I could not pass up the opportunity!

i am right on course with about anyone else. if i have the confidence to make the drive, i throw the discs that i know will carry the line. if i am not sure or am having that kind of a day, i lay up and throw over. if i cannot throw over the water to begin with, then i have other issues no matter what i throw.

btw, a wahoo floats and is a long range driver. very flippy understable discs, but it floats.

I will almost always go with the disc I want to throw even if there is no water because that is most comfortable for me, but the disctance will be a big factor on water shots.

junk discs

i throw cheap discs that i can replace but still throw well.
this usually means a groove.
i can rip them 315 consistantly and somewhat accurately and they i get them cheap (see sig).

if i could get a box of destroyers for $4 a pop, that would be better than the grooves, but no one is selling destroyers for that ...

Option 4: whatever the shot calls for.

If its straight across, probably my Proline rogues. If its across to the right, forehand my SP rogue. If its over and left, either my teebirds or a predator, depending on how long the disc needs to carry before getting stable.

I am a mix of all 3, that is how I have lost a few nice discs. I normally throw something beat up, but I also carry a Wahoo and Hydra. I used to carry a dragon and dolphin.

I throw my favorite disc- got to go balls out and make the shot. Also, if it sinks, losing your favorite disc is greater motivation to go in after it than some POS you don't usually throw.

My approach to water holes is this. I don't throw crappy plastic, because I won't get the same result as if throwing the mold I'm most confident with. I used to be scared of water, but now that I throw molds I'm comfortable with(most of the time my best disc), I can score better overall.

Plus, that's why I have a rake :thmbup:

I throw whatever the hole calls for. I don't carry "water discs." I just don't want to carry sacrificial plastic. If I happen to throw something in, so be it. I am looking to score well so throwing the right shot/disc is what I should do to accomplish my goals. If I happen to throw poorly, that is on me and there are consequences. Plastic is replaceable and the locals are pretty good about returning discs to the local lost n found. I also carry a retriever.

One problem with floating discs is they're typically slow and understable because of the low density plastic. The only one I would recommend to anyone is the DKG Merc. Just don't throw it in the woods, the plastic is not very durable.

If you're willing to throw a crappy disc on a water hole, generally some of the most difficult holes on a course, why don't you throw those same discs all of the time. My game holds true to the opposite in that I'm going to throw my best disc for the situation, especially on water holes because I don't want a circle on my scorecard. It's not about going all out in my opinion, but having confidence in your abilities and knowing that you can trust your go-to discs.

Haven't had the good fortune of playing too many holes over water, but...

When I'm skeptical of my distance on a longer hole I'll throw a Dragon (which I keep in my bag as a really understable driver anyway). Otherwise, I'll throw whatever disc I would normally throw over dry ground.

I gave in an got a wahoo because of the layout at my future home course where I am moving to. Two back to back holes where you drive 250' parallel to a canal (nasty brackish water) and then back down the other side of said canal. Miramar near Houston, TX if anybody knows it. Silly course design if you ask me, its not a matter of getting over a hazard as it is playing along side it for 500 feet.

Does all R-Pro float btw?

depends which body of water is it. if its wide open ill throw normally but if thrr are trees hanging over the water ill throw something i havent spent a year beating in

Latest posts