• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What floats besides a Dragon?

The longest max-weight floater is probably Odyssey's Ultra Long Range, but it's got an odd double lip on it. Some people can't get past the tiered shape.
Another candidate is a 150g R-Pro Boss.
My personal favorites are Lightning discs. I use a #1 Slice and a #3 Hyzer. They're not the kind of discs that you'll throw a lot. They're just not that durable.
If you go the Lightning route, check your weights. Some of the designs only float below a certain weight. Check first.

The "Double D" by Quest floats, as do all their Ultralight discs.

blue. no green!

No one gets past Tim other than Arthur

tim-enchanter-monty-python.jpg

Lightning # 2 Driver. If you want a floater in a heavier weight, it's your baby.

Also the HI-FLEX RUBBER PUTTER from Lighting Disc and Hydra is a putter to.
Lighting Disc makes a few floaters.
picture.php

I got #2 driver in 171 grams and it floats. I can get a Dragon to go farther with no wind but if there is wind I use Driver #2. The course in the town I live in has 8 holes around pond. I owen 5 floating disc.

Hydra is a nice floating putter, before i got my Voodoo's i putted only with a hydra, its a great putter :) (and good for approaches on water holes)

The Epic floats! It's a disc you'll want to throw in the water... and it will disappoint you again when it doesn't sink.

Just ordered an Epic... just because it's easy to barrel roll an overhand shot. Gimmicky, yes... fun... oh yes.

Why not just throw over or around the water? I am confused. If it goes in it was a bad shot. How will you learn if there is no pain??

Oh, there IS pain, he attaches a baby alligator to each nipple before entering the water to retrieve.

#2 Putter is a floater and also an accurate, straight approach disc. Good putter as well.

Oh, there IS pain, he attaches a baby alligator to each nipple before entering the water to retrieve.

It hurts just thinking about this. But this does make me wonder why Innova named their floating disc the "dragon," instead of the "gator" or the "duck."

And then I wonder why Lightning didn't name it the "#2 Floater."

It hurts just thinking about this. But this does make me wonder why Innova named their floating disc the "dragon," instead of the "gator" or the "duck."

And then I wonder why Lightning didn't name it the "#2 Floater."

Yep, Dragons float, Sharks and Makos do not. Try explaining that to someone who knows nothing about the game.

Caution, a floating disc rarely does any good if you aren't willing to wade/swim to go get it, or if there is not a breeze blowing towards shore. In fact I am more tormented watching a disc float out to sea than to have one on the bottom- seeing it makes it worse.

sharks and makos should sink... cause they kinda swim and not supposed to fly anyways...

and as far as rivers and floating discs go, not all rivers are huge... at my park sometimes i barely flows, sometimes its up a few feet and moving... but theres beaver dams and whatnot that'll hold your disc, you may have to run down shore for a bit - no good in a tourney , but its fun to see for casual rounds

The Double D only floats in weights under 165g, I believe.
I had a 174g and it did float. I ended up giving it to a guy who found & returned a couple of my lost discs.