• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What happened to Salomons?

Jimmy

Eagle Member
Everybody used to wear Salomons, and now I rarely see them or hear about them around disc golf. It seems that I hear only negative things about Keens, even though I know they do good things for sponsorships and tournaments and such. Why did Salomons fall out of praise?

I wear them for my everyday shoe. I love them. I got a pait of keens after my second pair of salomons because the Milo was supposed to be a disc golf shoe. I will get another pair of salomons when my keens give out.

Fads wear out, but Salomons still are gold. I have a pair of XA PRO 3D ULTRA GTX's that are the most bestest shoe to have hugged my feet.

Good question. I don't really know the whole answer but here's maybe a piece of it. A local golfer used to be a Solomon rep and as a result had lots of DG events in the area sponsored by Solomon. He now works for Keen, and since then Keen has been doing the partnerships with local events, including the Beaver State Fling NT. I figured this was most of the reason but I assumed it was a regional thing. It's kinda too bad because imo Solomon makes a far superior shoe to Keen.

Eric O said:
It's kinda too bad because imo Solomon makes a far superior shoe to Keen.

No, wrong, absolutely not, negative. They're on par. The only advantage Salomon has is they'll replace your pair WHEN you blow them out in 4-5 months.

To the OP question though: They're made for people with skinny feet so the hell with Salomon.

I never had good luck with Salomons. They shredded within week of getting each pair I had. As far as Keen goes, My Milos rips in 8 rounds but my replacement Obsidians are holding up well.

Jeronimo said:
Eric O said:

No, wrong, absolutely not, negative. They're on par. The only advantage Salomon has is they'll replace your pair WHEN you blow them out in 4-5 months.
Well for one, that is a pretty big advantage if you are implying that Keen won't honor their warranty after 4-5 months. For another, thanks for telling me that what I stated as my opinion is absolutely wrong. I'm still sticking with it anyway until most of the evidence I see no longer supports it. Thanks for the assist though.

I have 2 pair of XT Wings that I use for golf 8 months out of the year (when there's not snow on the ground). Hands down the most comfortable golf shoes I've owned.

I have 2 pair. One is a goretex hiker and the other is a mesh trailrunner.

I love them both. I got them on steepandcheap, but I havent seen much for shoes on there lately.

Eric O said:
Jeronimo said:
Eric O said:

Well for one, that is a pretty big advantage if you are implying that Keen won't honor their warranty after 4-5 months. For another, thanks for telling me that what I stated as my opinion is absolutely wrong. I'm still sticking with it anyway until most of the evidence I see no longer supports it. Thanks for the assist though.

Not a problem, I'm good for a rebound now and then.

No, but really I wasn't try to tell you your opinion was dumb. I was asserting my opinion by using yours as a reference. What I disagree with is that the Salomon is a "superior" shoe, I did however give major props to Salomon for standing behind their products by replacing them as experienced numerous times by members of this board. I've not heard of equal level customer service from Keen, though I've heard their customer service is better than average. To my point though, other than the Milo's I generally think keen's are made more rugged than Salomons. I have a pair of XT Wings GTX and a pair of Keen Obsidians, those shoes are fairly similar, however Salomon doesn't have anything as good as the Targhee II imo.

i haven't owned any keen product but do have a pair of salomon x-adv clima-dry boots that are now over 10 years old. really no sign of wear on the soles and nothing has ever worn out on them. they don't breath well enough to wear in the warmer months but for winter they are a fantastic boot.

i haven't any other hiking shoes/boots that have lasted this long.

for me they are some of the most comfortable but also have fairly shitty durability when it comes to DG, if the weather is too bad to wear my fivefingers im most likely rocking some Lowa hiking boots.......they are the shit

I have two pairs of XT Wings, and yes, I have narrow feet. Great shoes, although I wouldn't say they are spectacular quality. They get me by, but the sole came loose on both in the same spot after a couple months (outside ball of my pivot foot, I have a flap hanging off both after repeated glue-ings). I'm interested in looking into something else, but it seems like everything out there has problems after a few months of disc.

Jesse B 707 said:
if the weather is too bad to wear my fivefingers im most likely rocking some Lowa hiking boots.......they are the shit

i had two different pairs of lowa tempest lo's and they were great shoes.

They are still thriving around here. I just had to make a warranty claim on my Mid GTX's and Salomon customer service was spot on. They will be replacing mine in the next few days. They are tops in my book right now. Merrell can stick it where the sun don't shine as far as I'm concerned.

You guys should look into Inov 8 shoes too. I have a pair that that I have put 500 trail running miles on, and maybe 100 or more rounds of disc golf in and they are still in pretty good shape. They make a really divers line of shoes that seem to last really well.

peppermack said:
You guys should look into Inov 8 shoes too. I have a pair that that I have put 500 trail running miles on, and maybe 100 or more rounds of disc golf in and they are still in pretty good shape.
What model do you have?

I've got these. They are great for running in the snow and mud. And great for the course.

http://www.zappos.com/inov-8-mudclaw-272-red-black