• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What happened to the Phenix Quadshocks?

Those are actually nearly exact copies of DGA Gel Straps (not Phenix Quads). I got them from Home Depot for $25.

The link that was provided was to a place where they are no longer available.
HERE they are $21.99 and offered free shipping when I got my pair.

Can't see paying an extra $20-60 MORE for a pair of bag straps just to have a disc golf brand name. I have heard many stories of dissatisfied users with the stuff that is on the market. Since my Fade Gear tourney bag looks to be around for the long haul I decided to try these out.

The link that was provided was to a place where they are no longer available.
HERE they are $21.99 and offered free shipping when I got my pair.

Can't see paying an extra $20-60 MORE for a pair of bag straps just to have a disc golf brand name. I have heard many stories of dissatisfied users with the stuff that is on the market. Since my Fade Gear tourney bag looks to be around for the long haul I decided to try these out.

how high on your back do they ride?

IMO straps aren't worth it if they don't keep the bag high like a backpack does. i feel it would add more stress to your body than just carrying it over your shoulder.

I guess I'll have to wait and find out. I have a Catalyst backpack and a Nutsac, so these were for my Fade Gear tourney bag. Hopefully they will keep it high on my back. If not, perhaps with a slight modification they can be made to accommodate my needs. This will be my first set of straps so I'm hoping to learn from this experience....for better or worse. It just seemed like a less expensive way to get to Point B, but we will see. Thanks for the input Kodachrome. I'll let ya know when they arrive.

IMO straps aren't worth it if they don't keep the bag high like a backpack does. i feel it would add more stress to your body than just carrying it over your shoulder.

One difference I noticed with mine was how much better the quads stayed on one shoulder versus the single strap. They're curved in such a way that it's more comfortable and less prone to slipping when just using one strap on one shoulder. (At least it was on the LatPro.)

They look like different clips then golf straps. Do they connect easy to golf bag? Did you say you use a Fade bag. Did you see if these straps go with other bags? Looking for options for my Karma bag.

Just cannot wait. Since I spent all my money on my new Karma I bought the Brown Bag Company ToolRider from Amazon for $23.23. Looks exactly like the DGA gels priced at around $40.00. Will give feedback once received and tested with the Karma & later my other bags.

I'd forgotten all about this post. Heck yeah!!
The Toolrider Gels are awesome. It rides mid back just like a regular set of quads would work. They have the clips instead of the clasps. The foam padding could be over the top though. It makes the pack feel like nothing is there, but they are also kind of bulky. Don't mind the trade off. I've only got to used them 4-5 times so far, but I'm satisfied.
THIS is actually what I wound up going with.

The Toolrider Gels are alright, I guess. They were my first straps. They're definitely decent enough for the price point...enough so that I'd buy them again if I really needed to. The main beef against them is they're a little floppy, so that it's sometimes a bit of a struggle to get them untwisted and on my back without issue (in comparison to the more "rigid" Phoenix quads).

They also fell apart super quickly...which is kinda expected for such an inexpensive option.

A mediocre product that definitely gets the job done at a reasonable price.

So you didn't get much use out of them?
Which other brands have you tried? recommend?

I got a ***TON*** of use out of them. I beat them to hell and back on some pretty tough courses. Lot's of on and off with the bag. ;)

Plus, I had 'em when I was a noob so I was in the rough a bunch (not much has changed, lol).

I'd say they lasted maybe a year. I got some added time out of 'em by duct taping the **** outta them. The stitching came out all over (the major issue) and the mesh padding ripped (cosmetic more than structural) when snagged on thorns, etc. (to be expected, imo).

I'm also super rough on my gear in general, and took many extended road trips with 'em.

Like I said, decent enough for the price point.

I also have used Ph(o?)enix quads. The ones WITHOUT the little sternum attachment between the shoulder straps. I never use that in dg and it just gets in my way.

I've had those going on 3- 3.5 years. I love them. They're as good as new after undergoing at least as much abuse, etc. as the gelly ones.

I'd definitely recommend the Ph(o?)enix quads over the others (even if they're pricier and/or you have to pick up a pair lightly seasoned), but cannot speak for any other products, as I haven't tried them. :shrugsmiley:

Hope that helps! :)

Edit: the one thing I loved about the Toolbelty Gel straps was the phone holder on the strap. Not for a phone (pffffffft to cellphones) but for a headlamp....saved a lot of lost discs around dusk/nightfall because that pocket was there. :thmbup:

Last edited:
Phenix straps will last a long time, my wife and I each used phenix straps for 4ish years and they'd still be going strong if we hadn't switched to backpack style bags.

Just cannot wait. Since I spent all my money on my new Karma I bought the Brown Bag Company ToolRider from Amazon for $23.23. Looks exactly like the DGA gels priced at around $40.00. Will give feedback once received and tested with the Karma & later my other bags.

So I received the Brown Bag toolrider straps. They are way too large (straps too long) for me. I did shorten straps to min- setting & the bag hung down on my butt too low & too much play in chest. They are not designed for d-golf & do not support the bag at the proper height. If you are somewhere between a size XXX & a silver back gorilla they may fit you just right. I am 6' tall 195 pounds & wear a xl shirt. If you are not way bigger, the toolrider is too large for you. will return to Amazon for refund less $5.89 for return s&h.

Latest posts