• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What happens to discs left in water?

leppard

Double Eagle Member
Just wanted to post pictures of 2 discs I found.

The first picture is a DX Cheetah. I have found several other DX plastic discs with similiar bubbles but the Cheetah is the worst example.

The second is a Pro Starfire. I have found another Pro disc like this also.

Both were found in a creek on a disc golf course established in 2005. They look like they are starting to break down.

I don't have a picture but I have found a few Champion plastic discs with small cracks similar to a windshield that has been hit with a small pebble. I haven't found anything odd with Star plastic.

Most are very nasty. About 8 out of 10 are stained so bad they have to be scrubbed with Scotch-Brite or an S.O.S. pad to get them clean. The stamp is removed almost every time.

I wanted to make people aware of what happens when a disc is left in water for an extended period.

Has anyone else found discs in water in these conditions?

Attachments

• P1010012 (2).jpg
    P1010012 (2).jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 145
  • P1010020 (2).jpg
    P1010020 (2).jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 167
i have had discs returned that have been in water for years and not looked like that- is there a chemical plant upstream?

Not that I am aware of. There is a dam and a lake where the city gets their water. I have found others at different courses - just not nearly as bad. I really don't know what causes it.

I'd politely suggest that the city test their water supply for chemical pollutants, if I were you ...

... just saying ...

I've had Champ plastic underwater for a year that with a quick wipe was a clean as new.

Yea, all discs I pulled out of water were fine.

if i ever get my elite-z buzzz back from the icy tomb its in right now, i sure hope it doesn't look as bad as either of those.....

if i ever get my elite-z buzzz back from the icy tomb its in right now, i sure hope it doesn't look as bad as either of those.....

There is a pond on the #1 hole of my local course & in the spring we would go looking for discs in it after the snow melted & never came across anything that looked like those pictured. Either the water is damn near toxic in that area or they have been there a very VERY long time.

Yea, I have found like 50 plus discs in Unger Lake returned all with names and numbers on them but some had bubbles and stuff kind felt like sand paper DX plastic and gateway s plastic are the only discs I have seen do that.

I find they become junk if in there for an extended time

My Pro Wraith spent the winter under the leaves and resurfaced all peeled like that....... cleaned it up and threw it once to discover that it was a flippy POS and gave it away that day.

back to the water with it

There is a pond on the #1 hole of my local course & in the spring we would go looking for discs in it after the snow melted & never came across anything that looked like those pictured. Either the water is damn near toxic in that area or they have been there a very VERY long time.

The course opened in 2005. I assume they have been in there less than 5 years. The thing is I see people fishing there all the time. I would not eat anything out of that water.

The course opened in 2005. I assume they have been in there less than 5 years. The thing is I see people fishing there all the time. I would not eat anything out of that water.

blinkythethreeeyedfish.jpg

Latest posts