• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

what i am doing wrong?

gianetics

Birdie Member
i have a few threads about going back to the bh. figure i post a vid to get bagged on. But really ive been watching my form on video and from what i get my last step on the x step is to big and my arm is not pulling straight through. the disc also looks like its coming out too early and nose up.

most of my throws were between 280 and 325 (google earth). i suspect there is also some strong arming going on as well.

please give me some input, what can i improve. i am have been watching the dan beto vids, doing hammer pound drills, and watching myself on vid. i want to bust 375 bh by 2012(figure some goal setting is a good thing).

what is my biggest issue to work on right now?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKgk6_pJQUU

How does your disc fly, AND how does it tend to land? Does it fly flat and land flat after the apex or does it tend to stall and fade and land on the rim/edge more? (This could be based majority on what disc you're throwing. Which is why Roc's are best for Technique observations.) This will be a good way of judging if you're getting some nose down, flat, or nose up.

Good bit of strong arming in there actually, with little wrist movement at all so your snap is nearly non-existent. Your pull through is spot on in terms of height, you just need to get closer to your body.
You're mostly strong arming due to not getting your arm in close, and into the pec before you start accelerating.

I'm going to say your X-step is exaggerated, you should shorten your steps. All of them not just the last, but especially the last. Remember that forward momentum doesn't equal longer distances. Just slow down and walk it out till you shorten the steps some, then speed it up a little, but not too much.

There were several shots that seemed like you were struggling to get good pivot. Your chest is out correctly in a some shots, but not in others. This is mostly present when you fail to get your arm close to your chest and your follow through is hindered. A lot of this can be caused by your X-step, if you focus on pivot through the X-step and rotation speed instead of forward speed, you'll do much better. This is where Timing is so key. When you get rotational speed, and learn when to accelerate you'll have much better distance. This is why I tell everyone that when they learn a proper X-step, you'll know when to accelerate, because your body will be put into the proper positioning. Everything up until your hand is into your pec area is all body positioning from your X-step. You don't accelerate until you reach the pec area. You're accelerating from your reach back to the pec, and you're losing all your power. The key is to accelerate from the pec to the hit.

When you learn that look up some articles around here about wrist movement and stuff. I've written some and I think there might be some others around, but it's not something you should worry about till you get these issues worked out.

Read about ''power zone''. DGR is your friend

BTW. You're doing ''the same thing'' on your flicks. Delay that shoulder turn and keep your elbow in. You're losing tons of power.

i am realizing that im starting everything a little early. slow mo i can see that my last step is huge and the disc is riping out before i can get my weight onto my plant foot. i am getting no wrist bounce. ill go out on my lunch again and work on slowing down my footwork, change camera angles to show the flight of the discs. i was trying to throw flat line drives in the video. last thing slow down the linear speed and increase the rotational speed.

The biggest key that I can stress again is timing. You might slow the X-step down, but if you don't do it in the correct timing, you'll still be strong arming. Everything with your legs and hips put your upper body into the correct positioning to start the throw. The actual throw shouldn't start till the disc reaches the pec.

Snap issues: Looks like you're holding the disc wrong on reachback. You're gripping the disc in the front, not on the side. here's an old diagram I drew up last year (you obviously do not grip the disc with your off hand so ignore that). Notice where the hand is holding the disc in the Desirable position.

attachment.php

Attachments

• grip.jpg
    grip.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 176
It looks to me like you're starting your pull too early, your not getting the "late acceleration". You shouldn't be really laying into the pull until you're already near your right pec, hence the "right pec drills"

I would say there is no "rotation" to your throw. If you watch your pivot foot, there really isn't a pivot. It rotates a little, but then your body falls forward. In short, when you finish your throw, you should not be falling forward toward the basket.

Sorry if this comes off as harsh, I'm just being direct.
i am have been watching the dan beto vids, doing hammer pound drills,
I don't think they "took." I can't tell that you really did them by watching the video. Most of the stuff that they should help you learn isn't there.

The focus really has to be on pounding the hammer, which is another way of saying that you'll feel the weight of the disc pivot about your finger and that you'll actively aid in strengthening how hard it pivots. Your focus still looks like it's on the pull through and x-step.

Freeze your first throw at the point when the disc is at your chest and you're squared up with the camera. Compare that with what katchz's putter throwing video. You can see that your weight isn't in the right spot and that your elbow and forearm isn't lined up with your wrist right. It's easy to see that your hammer pound will be really weak.

If you get that stuff lined up and you "get" the hammer pound drill (the point is to learn the feeling of manipulating the weight of the disc) you'll hit 375' way before 2012. If you've already built your throw from the hit back once it will be a lot easier to do the second time. I find it's an iterative process, so not "getting" it at first is normal.

Honestly, I think there is too much over-analysis in this case - now hear me out real quick.

Gianetics, I can tell that you work on your throw constantly - and I'm going to wager that you're simply overthinking it. As I pause the video at different points, I think that 90% of still frames of your shot are picture perfect textbook examples of good technique. However (as you're seeing) that doesn't add up to distance by itself.

You gotta get a little more fluid in your throw. If you overly mechanize your movements you end up trying to start.and.stop.your.muscles.at.exact.points and it becomes very robotic, the issue with that is you lock out your power generated from your leg plant and torso rotation by killing the momentum.

Remember that the point of a run-up/X-step approach is to generate power starting with your feet at the moment they impact the ground, then transfer that energy up through your hips, shoulders, and to your hands to impart that extra "boost" of force that turns 325' of arm power to a 400' bomb.

Get a buddy to let your punch at his/her hands - first stand flat footed and punch straight out as hard as you can. Next, bend your knees, relax your muscles, then explode from your toes up and punch the hand again. Try to feel that energy channel through your body and time it so that your fist makes contact as that "energy" reaches your fingers.

You should feel a huge difference, and in all liklihood you didn't have to tense up or feel like you used as much force as the last time - that's the feel you're looking for on release.

Hope this helps!

P.S. I'm going to try to make it down to monterey again in the next month or so, haven't been since Otter, let's get together for some Ryan Ranch or CSUMB!