• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What info do you wish your shop had on each disc's page?

justin

Double Eagle Member
We all know there are 16 million aspects to every disc beyond the Innova flight numbers. Is it flat or domey? How flexible is it in certain plastics? Is it a pop-top? Will it clash with my purse?...

Just as an example, the PDGA Tech Standards doc (http://new.pdga.com/sites/default/files/documents/pdga_approved_discs_121111.pdf) has tons of info but not every column is important to everyone and if a shop had all of that info for every disc I think it would be information overload. Personally, I really like to know the Rim Thickness when buying a max distance driver and I wish shops had a Flexibility rating in a simple 1-10 type format.

I would love to hear others' thoughts on the subject. It's great when you can handle a disc before you buy it but we've all bought a new mold online hoping it's what we think it is. I don't want to get too bogged down in the PDGA Tech Standards but it's just an example of information you have to hunt for which most online shops don't include.

What info do you wish your shop had on each disc's page?

I think most buyers arent that concerned and it would end up being more hassle for the shop, possibly hurting their stock rotation.

With that said, ive called gggt to specify chalkyness and dome. I like that the local throw shop has a scale.

I can search the tech specs myself for regularly-issued discs.

For special items, I wouldn't mind a brief description of what makes the particular disc different than the normal stock.

I thank each of you so much for your feedback. I'm working hard on getting everything just right on my site for an official launch which basically means I start advertizing on DGCR. I feel that differentiating an e-commerce site comes down to price, selection, & being an informative resource. Perhaps I'm worrying too much about the last part. I sincerely appreciate the three of you taking the time to comment.

the amount of dome would be nice. maybe just a 1-2-3 scale of flat, mix, domey. maybe a link to an image with an example of each rating on the scale so that the buyer is aware of what the shop considers flat/domey; image examples could even be under a FAQ/help tab or something.

i understand you can call about these sorts of things, but i do a lot of my online shopping late at night after im done doing my day to day stuffs.

Attempting to quantify the attributes of a disc that vary, like flexibility, dome, PLH, tackiness, translucency/transparency, etc. for every disc in stock would be way too laborious. Even if you could, you'd then have to keep them organized so you could easily access each one once it sells.

Seems like it's a lot more practical to just take requests on the order form or over the phone.

^What he said. I call and specify what I'm looking for and they let me know exactly what they have. Then I place my order. Gotta Go Gotta Throw and DG Values have been great at this.

I'm impressed how practical everyone is by putting themselves in the seller's place. I like the 1-2-3 comment about dominess above. I was thinking something simple like that if I do try to rate dominess and/or flexibility.

I suppose that encouraging people to call or click on the online chat link (which I'm hoping to implement) will be a great opportunity to impress people with customer service.

Thanks again everyone. You are the best as always. I need to start working on my banner to put on DGCR in a few weeks :thmbup:

yea, the more i think about it from a seller point of view i wouldn't list too many details about a disc outside what most retailers do. if you have some freak disc that has a combination of features that makes it to where no one would want it you could have a hard time moving it off your shelf, as opposed to just dropping it in a generic order.

i know most people wouldn't like this idea from a consumer point of view, but product has to move to get more in.

All I care about is how it feels in my hand. Charts aren't ever going to tell me that. There are plenty of molds that I have never thrown. I just put the disc away in storage or sell them.

All I care about is how it feels in my hand. Charts aren't ever going to tell me that. There are plenty of molds that I have never thrown. I just put the disc away in storage or sell them.
Thanks once again everyone. To Chris' point I know an online shop can never replace a disc in the hand. I've been emailing with a guy in Denmark about Vibram and how X-Link feels but I can't bring myself to sell him a disc made of a material he's never felt...especially since players either love or hate the rubber.

I appreciate everyone's comments and hopefully you'll see my ads on here within a month. Ideally, I'll eventually have all the information you need to select a disc on my site. Yes, it would be a lot of work upfront but it should only be required for each new model. I don't want to go to the extent of having a photo of every single disc. I'm doing that for Vibram (today!) but that's an extreme exception.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts,
-Justin

Thanks Mark. Of course when I started configuring the e-comm platform I'm on back in Aug/Sept I thought I'd be done in no-time! I'm very close though. I'm taking pictures of discs today which I wasn't able to get from the MFG's a couple months ago and I need to type up some policies and such. At some point I need to whip-up a DGCR-compatible banner.

I think Disc Nation's disc pages pretty much cover what I need to know.
Stability vs Skill Level vs distance
Overall description
Specs
Similar discs
Flight numbers
Pick your exact color and weight

Another thing I like about Disc Nation is their "fly before you buy" policy. If you're lucky enough to live nearby that is.

"What info do you wish your shop had on each disc's page?"
I wish they'd tell me which dealer has that disc for the lowest price... :p

No more online disc purchases for me - my favorite dealer in the plastique trade is:
The Throw Shop in Ypsilanti, MI.

Incredible selection, good prices, people who know the sport and can make solid recommendations, other schwag, etc...

Not only can you touch and feel the disc to see what it's like in your hands, but you might even be able to take a few practice huks;demo discs available in many popular molds. Located right at the course so you can throw a round with a mold you were thinking about buying, but weren't quite sure how it'd fit into your game.

Keep in mind there is such a thing as too much information. Particularly if it's overly technical or weakly quantifiable. The casual customer is primarily concerned with how the disc flies and what it looks like. Adding too much else to the description can be distracting and actually turn customers off.

Perhaps you can mitigate this somewhat with a simple informative page for each product that hs an option to view more detailed info.

Last edited:
Weight
Flight rating
Flight chart. I like Innova's little flight chart graph. I know, snowflakes in the breeze. I still like it.
Intended use
Color
Innova style 360 viewer