• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What is a disc that, despite all the hype, you didn't like?

I really hate throwing the wangbird. It feels great in my hand, but just hurts to throw.

PDs and Thunderbirds. Just can't click with them. I'd rather put some hyzer on a Valk. For me they are dumpy Teebirds. Well, I do have a PPD that flies really well but it is understable.

Roc - Just never clicked with the feel of it in my hand, prefer a Gator/Spider midrange duo
Kaxe Z - Hard to tell why I don't click with it, seems awfully similar to the Vamp which I dig but I'm struggling with the Kaxe Z
Blizzard Boss - Carries a ton of hype, found a few and gave them a try, didn't fill a role for me and the plastic is wack

Hahaha I don't fall for hype. I used to be that guy who bought the new hotness as soon as it dropped. I learned pretty quickly that a disc will only do what the guy throwing it is capable of making it do. With that being said, I harbor no hate for any particular mold. It is plastic types that bring out my hateful side. Flimsy, fragile, can't take a tree shot plastics can GTFOH.

Comet- I tried. I could throw a Fuse on the same lines as a Comet and nail it. Drove me nuts trying to get consistent shots.

Wizard- Just not shallow enough. They feel so great- flew so bad (for me). I know people love them.

Wizard. Felt just completely wrong in my hand. And the flight didn't help either.

Leopard for me. While I agree it's a stellar mold, I just could never get used to the notch in the rim so I throw other molds in its place.

The brave MVP hate circlejerk hurts my feelies but I know y'all are trolling when people don't like Leopards. "Flew too much like a Leopard, so I don't like the Leopard, it kept doing Leopard tricks". C'mon.

I don't hate any disc. Even the paper plate ones are fun to schomahawk from knife hyzer angles. But I've been consistently let down by the MVP hype. Bought an Anode to replace an APX ... flew more like my beat up Zone. Got a Tangent to test against Comets/Rocs; flew more like my Squalls/Leopards.

Always been intrigued by the idea of a super OS MVP disc, but then I think "I have a Nuke OS and Drone; why would I even try one?" But maybe I should try one to replace my Comets. :p

I used to hate Leopards. Then I got control of my OAT.

I used to hate Wizards. Then I fixed my grip.

Who woulda thunk it was me, and not the disc? :confused:

I am shocked the Valkyrie is not touched on. Its the only disc that i have thrown it in every plastic pro,dx,star, champion even CE and not one flew right. The star was new i threw a spike hyzer and it turnd over the whole flight and nearly landed upside down. Amd no its not cause i cant throw undrrstable as i can throw my beat DX stingray just fine.

Comet.
I know a lot of people say its a great teaching tool and all that and, moreover, I've seen MJ just own the course with a Comet.
B
but I could just never make it work. Probably because my form is terrible,but I can get Comet shots out of other discs easier.

This. Me too.

I don't hate any disc. Even the paper plate ones are fun to schomahawk from knife hyzer angles. But I've been consistently let down by the MVP hype. Bought an Anode to replace an APX ... flew more like my beat up Zone. Got a Tangent to test against Comets/Rocs; flew more like my Squalls/Leopards.
Well first off I love dollar toy discs so right on there.

"Hype" is dangerous to me as a marketer who's trying to inform people well enough in the presentation of products that they don't make a bad purchase. Hype exists (post-release) because people have tried and enjoyed the disc, but their throw is probably flawed, their method of describing their experience is probably flawed, they may or may not have ever tried a comparable disc but don't know that, just everything about communicating disc behavior from one player to the outside world is flawed at this point in DG. And from my pro shop years, I know what people say about their throw vs. what their throw actually looks like on the range... I got pretty good at diagnosing issues just by reading between the lines of what they say is good about their game.

I know it sucks for people who need things shipped, and they can't go into a shop with a driving range and inform themselves without spending anything. But there's nothing you can do but try the disc and let it tell you what it does for you at this stage in your game, and only then run it through the calculus of your bag and see if it's a good fit. The trouble and disappointment comes when you want a trial disc to perform like a disc you're much more familiar with. All brand feelings aside, do you have a use for a beat up Zone? Because if so then an off-the-shelf beat up Zone (for you) would be a useful disc. For me Anodes are a premium Omega which I like. Ions I don't like nearly as much, because I grip a Wizard differently than an Omega, and the Ion/Anode core grip doesn't suit my Wizard grip. Envy does a better Wiz slot than Ion, but that's specific to me, I'd be let down by auditioning Ions in place of Wiz.

Anyway to bring my essay rant to a close, I hate hype. This isn't a hobby where buyers have a ton of money to waste, and saving people from bad purchases is insanely valuable. If I ever crack the egg of a product presentation that keeps people away from a bad buy, that's gonna be one hell of an achievement (step 1: show a fast disc blowing goats at low power on a flight chart). Still working on it. If you ever want to try an MVP/Axiom disc again feel free to PM me and I can try to help form some realistic expectations. Just be ready to send wing pics of any comparable discs you bag/own. Tellin' you, I've saved thousands of people from buying the wrong disc. And if you're happy with the flight and availability of a disc already, no reason to change anything. Definitely never break that rule over internet hype.

World
Halo
Verdict (too high speed flippy sometimes, other times very OS, too thin for a mid)
PD
Roc, its fine, but prefer the feel of a buzzz
Destroyer, now, its a great disc, but SO many varieties and the rim width is a little wide, prefer Trespass

I got it hyped in my head that i needed midranges. so i went on a buying/trading spree for all sorts of mids. after trying most of them (roc's, buzzz, truth's, Bard, vector, M2, pain, shark's mako... you get the idea) i decided that i dont need one after all. i can do what i need with my my fairway/control stuff and putters.

so maybe this will change again in 8 months.. who knows. but for now, i am gonna not use mids.

So much hate for the ion lol. I throw a soft ion for all my putts and I love it.

For me, it has to be my roc.
I got a star roc, it's supper gummy and domeyou while my brothers of the same star plastic is flatter and stiff. So inconsistent and confusing.