• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is Par?

"What is Par?" - Imop it's a number for the non professional player used as goal to represent how many throws it should take to put your disc in the basket from the tee. In the professional world, it's useless since the outcome is based on number of throws not over/under par.

1k5unu.jpg

Putt for D'oh- that's hilarious and totally appropriate!
And I'm glad that you realized I meant the necro thread and not myself. Steve West had declared dead in his new par thread.

there is a thread about par here you should read & (maybe) add to.
Chevis, have you read this thread? There is a great deal of information here that will either answer the questions raised in Steve West's new par thread or at the very least provide helpful information and perspective for well informed posts.

Have you read about Close Range Par (CRP)?

Happy 10th birthday DGCR.
My all time favorite thread! No surprises there...
Thread #31.

Par IS the score of errorless play by an expert player

An expert player is a person who has the same skill level that a course was designed for.

An expert for a Purple level course is a Purple level player.
An expert for a Red level course is a Red level player.
An expert is NOT a 1000 rated Gold player for every course.

The current definition of par is "Par is the score that an expert disc golfer would be expected to make on a given hole with errorless play under ordinary weather conditions..." but the word "expected" is problematic. Since "expected" has various nuances it is open to several interpretations and that creates uncertainty, confusion, controversy, and discussions that cannot be resolved. I would like to see the definition clarified even more. Here is one simpler proposal-- "Par is the score that an expert disc golfer would make on a given hole with errorless play under ordinary weather conditions..."

What do you think?

Following up on the previous post... but then how do you determine the number for par? In my world, that number is determined by... wait for it... Close Range Par. So maybe verbiage about determining par from Close Range Par should be inserted into the definition. Just my suggestion

By incessant popular demand the BEST thread on DGCR is back from the dead!

Par is kind of dependent on who makes the course and is subjective to a certain degree. I do agree with one of the earlier posts idea of taking pro and amateur par out and just having a single par. Par should be an achievement like it is in Golf and therefor I believe "par" should always have the 1000+ rated players in mind. When I play a course like Caliber and get a par I feel good, when I play my local 9 hole course a par feels bad. Being a scratch golfer is an accomplishment that few golfers ever attain but strive to be. Par should be close to a 1000 rated round IMO.

Par is kind of dependent on who makes the course and is subjective to a certain degree. I do agree with one of the earlier posts idea of taking pro and amateur par out and just having a single par. Par should be an achievement like it is in Golf and therefor I believe "par" should always have the 1000+ rated players in mind. When I play a course like Caliber and get a par I feel good, when I play my local 9 hole course a par feels bad. Being a scratch golfer is an accomplishment that few golfers ever attain but strive to be. Par should be close to a 1000 rated round IMO.

Uhhhhh, that's not how golf works.

While the par on a (ball golf) hole doesn't (usually) change based in your skill level, the recommended tees most certainly does. It's most common to have 4 or more different tee boxes on each hole.

And the tee boxes on your average course won't accommodate pro play, certainly not at the highest level. There are courses that will have tee boxes designed for higher level competition, but those are usually in addition to your standard 4.

Maybe I've misunderstood your statement. If so, apologies in advance.

The current definition of par is "Par is the score that an expert disc golfer would be expected to make on a given hole with errorless play under ordinary weather conditions..." but the word "expected" is problematic. Since "expected" has various nuances it is open to several interpretations and that creates uncertainty, confusion, controversy, and discussions that cannot be resolved. I would like to see the definition clarified even more. Here is one simpler proposal-- "Par is the score that an expert disc golfer would make on a given hole with errorless play under ordinary weather conditions..."

What do you think?

I'm not one to dredge up old posts and quote them, but since this was from the person who dredged up the old thread.....

I find "errorless" to be much more imprecise than "expected".

"Expected" can at least be compared to results, to determine whether the expectations were reasonable.

I can fairly say that some of my throws are not errors, and many clearly are. But I'm not sure where to draw the line. 2% off target? 50% off target. Is anything less than perfect an error? I guess we could define it as a throw worse than what was expected....

When I'm just playing a recreational round, I score everything as a par 3. It makes it easier to keep up with the total score.

Many of us do. Though we use the word "par", this should be thought of more as a scorekeeping shorthand, than actually par.

Latest posts