• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is that?!

tamahawk

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Okay, so i was thinking about a gentleman that i ran into this fall at my local course. He was fishing in the lake off of one of the tee pads. As i was walking by, i stopped to chat with the man for a few minutes. He figured out from watching me throw that the concrete pads were for DG, but he thought that they had been made by the park for people to fish off of. We talked for a little while, and I explained the game to him.

I know there are many people who don't know about disc golf, and what those concrete pads and metal baskets are used for, so I was curious if anyone else had any similar experiences while playing or know of any odd mis-uses for the tee pads and baskets that they've seen or heard?

I've personally seen people of the Latino persuasion kick soccer balls into the baskets and I heard from a guy I played with one day that he saw somebody try and use the basket for a grill by laying foil in the basket.

I haven't seen or heard of anything unusual, but as I was finishing a hole, one lady said to me, "I was wondering what those things (baskets) were used for."

I haven't seen or heard of anything unusual, but as I was finishing a hole, one lady said to me, "I was wondering what those things (baskets) were used for."

i get that one quite a bit too. the other one is when i'm looking at DG stuff online at work, or someone sees a basket on one of my slideshow screensaver pictures they will say "i've seen those things at the park, i've always wondered what they were for!"

he saw somebody try and use the basket for a grill by laying foil in the basket.

and we wonder why foreign countries make fun of our intellect. freaking retards.

this happens the most as i think everyone has gotten this question at least once before.

I got a question the other day, "Is that hard?" How the hell do you answer that with a yes or no? You don't. I just thought for a minute and said "kinda."

My friend and I were practicing our putting late at night in a field with some light at a college campus. An older guy drove by as we were putting the basket together and asked us what it was? After we explained, he then said his original thought was that it was either an insect trap or a weather experiment!

With Disc Golf being really new to this neck of the woods, stuff like this happens a lot. When I set up my own baskets at the local middle school, I've had ladies walking laps stop and ask me what it is. At one of the local colleges when I set up my own baskets I had a girl ask me what I was doing and then se said "you're pretty good at that game." I was both thankful, and very amused.

And at Shawnee State Park, the course was just put in this past June. So a lot of the locals still really don't know what the deal is and I've explained it to several different groups of people. I'm always sure to mention that they sell discs at the park office and that they're pretty inexpensive. '

Hopefully this will pay off with some new players.

I have be come so what of a local celebrity in my small town that I live in. I practice in empty lot that is right off a major road, and is right next to the busy local library. I get lots of people staring at me going in and out of the library, and some people slowing down their cars when I am driving.
I go to the library about every two weeks,and I get lots of people saying
"Hey, you are they guy who throws the discs in the field". I just smile and say yes. I also have have had people mention that to me around town when I got to local businesses.

I have be come so what of a local celebrity in my small town that I live in. I practice in empty lot that is right off a major road, and is right next to the busy local library. I get lots of people staring at me going in and out of the library, and some people slowing down their cars when I am driving.
I go to the library about every two weeks,and I get lots of people saying
"Hey, you are they guy who throws the discs in the field". I just smile and say yes. I also have have had people mention that to me around town when I got to local businesses.

Yeah... I get reactions like that too. Only for sleeping in my car during lunch at work. I've actually been told "You're a legend." I thought that seemed like a strange comment, but whatever. I go out to my car to get away from everyone and relax. In the Summer I roll down the windows & put up sun shades all around. And in the winter I wear my Comumbia jacket and have a couple blankets in the car... what's the bid deal?

I practice in an open field behind a local school as well. It has plenty of room to attempt any types of lines I am trying to work on. I have never caused a wreck or anything but people will almost slam on the brakes in curiosity. It is amusing to watch them slow down just to see. We have a good course in our town but it is far away from the "main" areas of town. This field is in a fairly busy area. It also happens to be about 100 yards from my in-laws front door. I sneak out and walk down to the field a lot.

As far as gross misuse of baskets, I believe the post by "t i m", which gets my vote for best post of 2008, would be the worst/funniest I have ever heard. If you know what I am talking about, then you understand. If not, it is not up to me to explain. I am just too lazy to research and quote that post...but it is famous...in DGCR circles.

As far as gross misuse of baskets, I believe the post by "t i m", which gets my vote for best post of 2008, would be the worst/funniest I have ever heard. If you know what I am talking about, then you understand. If not, it is not up to me to explain. I am just too lazy to research and quote that post...but it is famous...in DGCR circles.

all that and you leave us hanging?

Jerk!

the park that our course is in is used by several folks who ride horses.
so the best one i've heard is: "we thought is was awfully nice of the park to put so many hay feeders around to have hay for the horses!"

I'm assuming you meant this:

Cedar Hill in Raleigh, NC, earlier this year. Since I've never played the course before, I join up with a couple of NC folks -- Stack, Kolling and Buddy -- for a practice round the night before a tournament round. It's just starting to get dark, and we're rounding into the back half of the course (hole 10?) -- a framed downhill tunnel shot of low trees, with a great big open route for the thumber.

We walk out of the woods and onto the teebox, look down the fairway, and it seems like there's some kind of animal moving behind the basket, but we can't tell what it is. I start walking down the fairway towards the basket, making some noise. All of a sudden the "animal" moves, and we see a girl stand up butt naked and realize the moving "animal" was a guy standing behind her. The girl had been bent forward, bracing herself on the basket with both hands while getting plowed from behind. The two of them are wearing nothing but their shoes, see us, and take off into the underbrush. Twenty seconds later, the guy runs back up, grabs an armload of clothes out of the basket and runs back off into the woods.

We all sit there for a minute or two, trying to figure out if we really just saw what we think we saw... Cedar Hill is not a particularly private course, and this was daylight on a Saturday evening. When it finally registers what happened, we all just bust out laughing and spend the rest of the round making jokes along the lines of "a whole new meaning to 'banging chains'."

Yeah... I get reactions like that too. Only for sleeping in my car during lunch at work. I've actually been told "You're a legend." I thought that seemed like a strange comment, but whatever. I go out to my car to get away from everyone and relax. In the Summer I roll down the windows & put up sun shades all around. And in the winter I wear my Columbia jacket and have a couple blankets in the car... what's the bid deal?

I understand where you are coming from. I used to have to leave my job at lunch time, because I would be sitting there eating my lunch, and people would expect me to answer the phones if things got busy. I had to each lunch in my car. Plus it was nice to get away from the job and everyone for an hour. My co-workers used to say I was antisocial, but I don't care. That's why I know drive a truck, because I like to work alone.

We came up on a group once that had a basket just blazing...they had chicken hanging from the chains and a big 'ol fire going in the basket. It was hysterical. I was laughing so hard I didn't even care that we had to skip the hole.

When we told the guy who was cooking what the basket was really for, he looked at us like we were insane. Dude is standing in the middle of a park 1,000'+ away from the nearest picnic pavilion wearing a "Kiss the Cook" apron and has a couple of chickens dangling off the hooks of Headrick, and he looks at me like I'M crazy? Damn it was funny. That was probably 15 years ago, and it's still making me laugh just thinking about it.

We came up on a group once that had a basket just blazing...they had chicken hanging from the chains and a big 'ol fire going in the basket. It was hysterical. I was laughing so hard I didn't even care that we had to skip the hole.

When we told the guy who was cooking what the basket was really for, he looked at us like we were insane. Dude is standing in the middle of a park 1,000'+ away from the nearest picnic pavilion wearing a "Kiss the Cook" apron and has a couple of chickens dangling off the hooks of Headrick, and he looks at me like I'M crazy? Damn it was funny. That was probably 15 years ago, and it's still making me laugh just thinking about it.

Ive never seen anyone do it, but Ive heard people mistake them for grills quite a bit.

Latest posts