• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is the oldest course still alive?

West Park in Joliet was put in in 1979 and is still going.

The first permanent course in Illinois was Gillson Park in Evanston, IL (or Wilmette?) from 1977-1983. It was a Steady Ed as well. 2 of the baskets from Gillson were purchased off Craigslist and are now practice baskets at Fairfield Park in Round Lake, IL.

Adler, in Libertyville, claims 1978. But I think the course is a lot different now than originally. I seem to remember it going from 9 holes to 18 and back to 9 again.

White Birch is Missouri's oldest course. It is located in Hazelwood (St. Louis). Installed by Steady Ed in '79.
I'd say at least 4 or 5 local tournaments are still held there every year and I think they still run a league there as well. It's a fun little 18 holer with dual tees for the majority of the holes. There is a lot of elevation change and risk vs reward shots.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=674

One of my must play courses every time I go to VA Beach is Bayville Park, 1977, Ed Hendrick according to this site. I also have to play Horizon Park in Winston-Salem when I'm in NC. I guess I don't mind dodging Disc for a chance to play these old classics.

At the IDGC they encourage you to putt into that basket, and they bill it as being a basket that Ed welded himself in his garage.
I've always thought that was one of the coolest parts of the museum there.

That is very cool, would love to see that

Cedars of Lebanon State Park in Lebanon, TN. Steady Ed design circa 1976 I believe, not the oldest but there can't be much older than that.

White Birch in St. Louis (Hazelwood) has been in since around 1979. It was Steady Ed original design, I believe...massive erosion, but pretty much the same as day one.

Its Oak Grove !
Its always been Oak Grove you chuckleheads.
Its not the old place down the street from you, unless you live at J.P.L.
Why is this still a topic. /damn thread.

^^ Because the OP asked

I'm a history nut and I'v been wondering where and how old the oldest disc golf course still in use is?

Does't matter how many times it's been changed or redone. Just has to be on the same peace of land.

I know the oldest one here in the Charlotte area is Reedy Creek at 1989. Let me know if you got it something older!

Its Oak Grove !
Its always been Oak Grove you chuckleheads.
Its not the old place down the street from you, unless you live at J.P.L.
Why is this still a topic. /damn thread.
On a site connected to a course directory where you can query by year installed no less. Granted, a lot of those old courses never made it to the DGCR era. The supposedly first course here in KS disappeared roughly around the time I started playing.

Now if the OP were asking what the second or third oldest course is, we'd have a discussion. There's a handful that claim that status.

Now if the OP were asking what the second or third oldest course is, we'd have a discussion. There's a handful that claim that status.

What are those?

(My guess: Morley? & Whammo Campus DGC?)

On a site connected to a course directory where you can query by year installed no less.

Search results are only valid to the extent that the information in the database is complete and correct.

As has already been noted, the Rutgers-Douglass College course (home of the infamous Cubby ace) was in place at least a year before Oak Grove.

Oak Grove can claim the title as the first permanent course with pole hole style targets; and it may be able to claim the title as the oldest permanent, public course still playable in its original layout, but there are several courses still in use that have been updated in terms of targets and layout over the years that have individual holes that predate Oak Grove.

Oak Grove can claim the title as the first permanent course with pole hole style targets; and it may be able to claim the title as the oldest permanent, public course still playable in its original layout, but there are several courses still in use that have been updated in terms of targets and layout over the years that have individual holes that predate Oak Grove.
The SoCal guys will have to chime in, but I believe Oak Grove has been to some degree altered as well.

Really, year installed is kind of a fuzzy thing, as there's no concrete definition of when a course goes in, and the more you go back in time, when you consider pre-polehole object layouts, the fuzzier it gets.

A course also named Oak Grove in springfield mo has been around since the 70's im told, but have no proof at the moment other than what i was told.

Ill look it up and see what i find

*this site says installed '79

NE Lions, Norman, OK 1977

Our oldest. Not THE oldest. Also a Steady Ed course.

Lake Murray Lodge still has the cone baskets if you wanna take a mutter or a lid and walk down memory lane. No one there is sure of date established.

My home course - also called Oak Grove - was installed in 1980. Not sure who designed it though. I'd guess that is the oldest course in ND by a decent margin.

Latest posts