• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What Is/Was Your Favorite Now Extinct Course?

Cloverland Farms in Lyman, ME

It really wasn't much of a course. It was basically just 9 short fairways cut through a field of high grass, running down and back up a gently sloped hill. But I can have fun on just about any dg course, Cloverland included. So why my favorite? Two reasons.

#1) I hit my first ace there. Nothing to brag about, just a 158' Aviar throw, but it was my first. I thew a 17 for the nine holes that round. :)

#2) This was the first course that my daughter played a full nine holes with me on. That was something to brag about. :clap:

Last edited:
i have only seen video of either one but blackjack looks steeper, laurel springs more manicured.
I've played Black Jack, but not Laurel Springs, and judging by the only known video of Laurel Springs that sounds about right although I'd say Black Jack is more wooded and also tighter on the open holes. The closest thing now to Laurel Springs is probably The Woodshed, which Spence told me was the inspiration for The Woodshed and he is even the video and some Florida sunshine kid named Kleemo. :cool:

The Woodshed

Tom Bass, Houston TX. Two mammoth world class courses, really well laid out. The Parks Department never got behind the courses and never mowed. It took a long time, but eventually they pulled them.

It's already been mentioned, but coyote trace in Louisville is my first choice. It opened quietly on private land well off the beaten path, and only when it was completely ready - the property owner/course steward was very particular and it showed in the quality of the course. Just a phenomenal layout, and it was only going to get better with the plaaned addition of more tee/basket locations.

Then, just as quickly as it appeared, it was pulled. I believe the main factor was the amount of damage done & debris left from some flooding. Sadness ensued.

Coyote Trace and Holler in the Hills.

Flooding and the Emerald Ash Borer did Coyote in. Part of that course will live on. Only played it once, wish I would have had more time to get down there.

UC Santa Cruz back in the mid '80s. Different era though given that few of us used golf discs and it was an object course. The hole in the old quarry stood out.

Northern AZ University course 2.0. such fun holes, fun lines, course I learned on. The course is still fun, but the current iteration just is not the same.

Coyote Trace and Holler in the Hills.

Flooding and the Emerald Ash Borer did Coyote in. Part of that course will live on. Only played it once, wish I would have had more time to get down there.
Yeah, so lame we lose such a great course because of bugs. Definitely couldve been top 10.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I really liked the Original 9 of Bill Allen. Side note: I've played 106 courses and 10 are now extinct. That seems like a high % to me.

My favorites that are gone:

1. The Original Rockledge Disc Golf Course in Rockledge FL. Pay-to-play course carved out of a mangrove swamp in 1978, designed by Steady Ed. An early cauldron of disc golf talent, regularly hosting World Champs and Hall of Famers like Jeff & Mark Watson, Gregg Hosfeld, Steve Slasor, Tom Monroe, Tim Willis and springtime out of state visitors John David, Alan Beaver, Carlton Howard, Gary Lewis and Brian Cummings. I cut my teeth there and cashed at a qualifier for the Wham-O $50,000 tournament when I was 17, which is how I got my low PDGA # (1752). Paved over by a WalMart.

2. Emerald Isle in Oceanside, CA. One of the best disc golf layouts on an executive-length ball golf course. Pulled because of disc golfer shenanigans.

3. Florida State University Disc Golf Course, Tallahassee, FL. Only 9 holes and crappy Tri-State baskets, but fun nonetheless. Removed by the football stadium and parking lot expansion project.

Along with others in this thread and a related one, I miss Houck's CR and San Saba courses. I also miss playing a great course in Dallas that was vandalized into extinction, Crawford Memorial Park.

About to be extinct Bear Creek. It's a done deal basically :/:wall::doh::mad::thmbdown:

I've played 3 extinct.

Hornet's Nest is the one I'm going to miss. How much will depend on the new layout once it's up....

Update: I have 4 extinct courses in my list now. Park Circle in Charleston, SC looks like it was redesigned.

Update: I have 4 extinct courses in my list now. Park Circle in Charleston, SC looks like it was redesigned.

They didn't redesign. They just don't understand what it means to retire a course on this site.

They now have baskets in both positions full time, and to the locals, that means it's a new, 18-hole course. Remember this is the disc golf club that renamed Tidal Creek to Fire Swamp.

Oh, and they're home to MY LIFE.

Latest posts