• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is worst a horrible putt or a bad drive?

chris717

Eagle Member
I could drive really good but when i get myself on a par shot- 15fter, I sometimes miss causing me a stroke. Would it be better to have a ok drive and a killer putt and always par. :confused:

I hate bad drives, just snowballs my score into a snowman, all the time. I don't mind a blown putt here and there.

Just shoot the best you can trying to beat the course.

Dont worry about a bad drive just focus on a good upshot and putt to solidify the par.
If you have a good drive that leaves you with a 25-40 footer. Focus on that putt and make it count. and if you miss try not to go long by finding a putting style that lets the disc settle close to the pin.

Missed 15 footer is definitely worse. With a bad drive you still have a chance to save par. A missed putt is a stroke gone forever.

I hate the bad putts. That may be because Im much more familiar with them. My driving is typically at a pretty high level, while my putting absolutely does not follow suit.

yah really sux to miss an easy bird

that is my weakness horrible miscalculated putts, sometimes i overthink it too much. I miss so many easy bird attemps its so sad sometimes, I ve tried so many putting styles it gets me confused .:wall:

Putts. Putts. Putts. I missed so many ones I should have had the other day and that's what I remember -- not the bad drives. Putts haunt forever!

I'd usually much rather have a bad drive. A bad drive i can normally recover from and scramble to save par. If I miss a horrible putt, I'm usually coming back for bogey.

The worst for me is bad drive, good upshot, missed 15- 20ft putt. Holes like that make my round blow up, I can handle the occasional f-up (drive or putt) but when I throw a bad drive and then throw a great upshot to combat the bad drive and then blow the putt it gets in my head

To me a bad putt for sure.

I can get out of **** with a good next look pretty often. If not, a pitch out and a good look from there is much less demoralizing than donking one off the front of the basket of smacking the chastity belt.

Man, that gets in your head quick.

I could drive really good but when i get myself on a par shot- 15fter, I sometimes miss causing me a stroke. Would it be better to have a ok drive and a killer putt and always par. :confused:

if we are assuming that we always get par i dont care how it happens. and considering that "horrible" is a worse form of "bad". i would say that a horrible putt is always, unarguably, worse than a bad drive.
:p

Missed 15 footer is definitely worse. With a bad drive you still have a chance to save par. A missed putt is a stroke gone forever.

that really depends on where you are playing, though. a heavily wooded course knocking your drive off the fairway into intense thicket because you barely nicked a tree less than 100 feet down the fairway and ballooned up. i watched 1000+ rated pros barely miss a drive through a tight spot and end up taking WAY more strokes than they would have just by missing, say, a birdie or par putt.

a horrible putt.. nothing is worse then 3 putting from 10 feet away :doh:

you have a couple throws to save your bad drive for par

Last edited:
I'll go with a "horrible putt" being worse than a "bad drive."

You can make-up for a bad drive with a good upshot...
You can't do anything about a horrible putt...you already missed and cost yourself a stroke.