• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is your "Epic Roadtrip"

• Sun X-mas Day: I unwrapped all 3 IDGA courses in Appling, GA and spent spent the night.

I know you were dead tired after playing all 3. I try to get out there every few weeks and do either a Jackson/Steady Ed or Warner/Steady Ed. First time i played all 3 in one day, i slept for like 2 straight days. Seriously though, thats a tough walk and a lot terrain. We have an Iron Man tourney that plays all 3 in a day every year though.

I appreciate the offer. Although I have no idea when....it will happen! :thmbup:

I'd love to time it around an SCI show or 3 at Hornings, but it's not going to happen for me this August. Are the courses still playable during that kind of event?

Yes they are closed but at most show there are 3-6 holes on all three you can play.. When ever yah can get here i can show you around. This is the best time of year to play there...

Hippy007

I know you were dead tired after playing all 3. I try to get out there every few weeks and do either a Jackson/Steady Ed or Warner/Steady Ed. First time i played all 3 in one day, i slept for like 2 straight days. Seriously though, thats a tough walk and a lot terrain. We have an Iron Man tourney that plays all 3 in a day every year though.

We played all 3 in addition to a couple other courses the day we were there, but three tournament rounds out there sounds like a really long day.

Are they also closed on the days leading up to or after the events?

yup

Here is what Bob Horning posted back in april, on the local boards about dates for this year it is closed. It gives an idea of the times.

Hi all,
Below is the current list of limited use or closed dates for our summer season. Some dates we are completely closed, others are limited by such things as a tournament taking up a course or two:

April 20th evening: Glow Dubs

May 3rd and 4th and morning of 5th: 800 person Boy Scout jamboree that will close Meadow Ridge, limit Canyon and Highland courses.

June 8th: 5th annual Brenon Jones open. This event has been historically small, all courses will be open.

June 22nd: Huck for Independence. This may be a large tournament, in the least Canyon will be in use for tournament, maybe more.

July 15th - July 23rd: All courses closed for preparation and use for the NW String Summit concert.

July 27th and 28th: Chick Flick Clinic and tournaments, limited use on Saturday, stay tuned for use if any on Sunday.

July 29th - August 6th: All courses closed for preparation and use for the String Cheese Incident Concert.

August 17th: Highland course will be used for the Ace race by DGOD.

September 3rd - 10th: Closed for preparation and use by Warrior Dash.

Hippy007

Just got back from our epic roadtrip a couple of weeks ago. We played the courses near the Twin Cities in MN. Blue Ribbon Pines, Kaposia, Bryant Lake, Valley DGC, Acorn, and Hidden Lake DGC. Acorn wasn't exactly epic but it was still a part of the trip. The other 5 were all amazing for different reasons.

My serious answer to this question. Having seen nearly all the top courses in every corner of the country, suggesting the most "epic" road trip possible is intriquing, and I gave it quite some thought. As unbiased as possible, I suggest a Wisconsin focus with a taste of some neighboring states. In logistical driving order, this trip would include: Mont du Lac, 2 days at Highbridge, Sandy point, Tailings, Winter Park, Rollin Ridge, Zobel, Standing Rocks, Justin Trails, with another couple days I'd add Twin Cities, MN area courses. Good luck fitting that all into a week, Epic is the name of the game.

Just wait a few weeks longer and add...
Powder Mill DGC (18) in Marquette after Tailings
and Pioneer Trail DGC (27) in Gladstone on your way back down to Winter Park

I have made many trips to the DFW area and had a great time there. But for a dream trip I would probably wind my way up to Flip City stopping along the way. Cinncinatti is just about on the way from here so maybe Idlewild and any other highly rated courses between Ms and Michigan.

as a long haul truck driver i live my dream dg road trip every day. my biggest hurdles are truck parking near courses and the cab fee's to get there can be astronomical.

but the bucket list i have is

idgc.
winthrop
milo
most of CA courses. oak grove, santa cruz/monterey bay area. and tahoe
im saving to have me and my wife rent an RV and plan a road trip to visit the dgcr top 10. hopefully next spring it will happen since we will be taking about 2 months off.

Of all my trips, this one in MN last July was the most epic. Even without the 90 degree, muggy weather.

Friday (Left work at 1:00) - Wisconsin
Lake WaZee - 9
Black River Falls - 9
Mount Simon - 9
(27 Total)

Saturday
Fort Snelling - 18
Hyland Ski & Snowboard Area - 18
Bryant Lake - 18
Red Oak - 10
Kenwood Trails - 18
Alimagnet - 12
(94 Total)

Sunday
Riverside - 18
Calvary Hill - 18
Mayhew Creek - 18
Millstream - 18
Hidden Lake - 18
Becker - 18
(108 Total)

Monday
Blue Ribbon Pines - 27
Elm Creek - 18
Basset Creek - 12
Plymouth Creek - 12
Crown College - 18
(87 Total)

Tuesday
Oakwood - 18
The Valley - 18
Kaposia - 26
Lakewood Hills - 18
Acorn - 18
Garlough - 9
(107 Total)

Wednesday
CP Adams - 18
St. Olaf - 18
St. Charles - 18
The Willows - 18
(72 Total)

So, that was 30 courses, 495 holes. Phew!

Of all my trips, this one in MN last July was the most epic. Even without the 90 degree, muggy weather.

Friday (Left work at 1:00) - Wisconsin
Lake WaZee - 9
Black River Falls - 9
Mount Simon - 9
(27 Total)

Saturday
Fort Snelling - 18
Hyland Ski & Snowboard Area - 18
Bryant Lake - 18
Red Oak - 10
Kenwood Trails - 18
Alimagnet - 12
(94 Total)

Sunday
Riverside - 18
Calvary Hill - 18
Mayhew Creek - 18
Millstream - 18
Hidden Lake - 18
Becker - 18
(108 Total)

Monday
Blue Ribbon Pines - 27
Elm Creek - 18
Basset Creek - 12
Plymouth Creek - 12
Crown College - 18
(87 Total)

Tuesday
Oakwood - 18
The Valley - 18
Kaposia - 26
Lakewood Hills - 18
Acorn - 18
Garlough - 9
(107 Total)

Wednesday
CP Adams - 18
St. Olaf - 18
St. Charles - 18
The Willows - 18
(72 Total)

So, that was 30 courses, 495 holes. Phew!

this in no way sounds enjoyable to me. epic for sure though.

Sounds like a blast to me, that's the kind of trip my fiancee and I take a few times per year. :thmbup:

Latest posts