• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is your policy on mulligans?

zepphead33

Eagle Member
Usually me and my brother play 1 mulligan every nine, but I am thinking about switching to none because I feel like I have cheated when I get a good score.
How do you do mulligans typically?

Casual rounds I'll throw 2nd and 3rd shot from a lie but always play the 1st. Then internally yell at myself to throw the 2nd shot 1st!

I generally try not to take them but I will take a couple drives off the tee on a new course with a particularly tricky hole.

Even in casual rounds, I always play my first shot, though I often take extra drives if I have the course to myself. When I'm playing with newer players, I encourage them to take mulligans, it often keeps the game more fun for them to have a second chance to stay out of the schule, and keeps them coming out to play.

Casual rounds I'll throw 2nd and 3rd shot from a lie but always play the 1st.

I usually do this. Although in casual play, one mulligan per round is the norm for most groups I play with, although most people rarely use it. It has to be a REALLY bad throw.

I've personally never used them, i will throw multiple discs when i'm by myself but always take the first one. I've been noticing lately that i always make the second putt if i miss the first one. Wish i could throw that second shot first every time lol

We usually throw two tee shots on the first hole, but other than that none. It's not really a mulligan per se, but it's the closest thing I ever do, for the most part, other than being the lone wolf in doubles.

I've personally never used them, i will throw multiple discs when i'm by myself but always take the first one. I've been noticing lately that i always make the second putt if i miss the first one. Wish i could throw that second shot first every time lol

This ^^^^^ When I'm with buddies we'll throw extra shots but we always play the first one. By myself I might empty the bag but I play the first

I don't use them when I am playing with others.

Alone I might take an extra shot or two but always play the first.

With the misses I usually throw two drives (on holes 250+ since she doesn't have an arm) and take the worst drive. Makes it more challenging to shoot under par if we are on the road.

I do not take them, but noobs are allowed 3 do overs, my friend calls them "triads".
They can have a re-shot (but only one triad per hole) or count the shot if their disc hits the chains, but they can only have 3 re-shots or "count-it" shots for the entire game.

It doesn't help their score more than 3-5 strokes, but it takes a lot of pressure and frustration off, so they keep playing.

I don't know anyone who uses mulligans---a do-over that counts in the score---but almost everyone I play with are tournament players, playing casually more-or-less like tournaments. Practice shots (2nd or 3rd, after the 1st shot which counts) are different, though. Or multiple practice shots off the first tee to warm up, but announcing in advance which one will be played.

Most of my playing buddies are ones that started after I got them involved with playing, so we're mostly still noobs (and playing for fun - from the fun/win thread). We'll typically only take mulligans on really horrible drives - like when the disc gets tacoed into a tree 5 feet in front of the tee pad. :wall:

Usually the mulligan is taken at the suggestion of the other player(s) in our group. Those really ugly drives are rare occurrances, so we almost never take mulligans.

Since I don't hit the driving range a few hours before I step to the first tee, I like taking the best of my two drives on the first hole. Other than that, a bad throw is just another stroke on the card.

I don't count mulligans, but there's usually at least one instance per round where I throw way off-line (usually because I second-guessed my disc selection, and my "mulligan" is typically the disc I would've thrown if I hadn't doubted myself!). Or I'll throw multiples for certain skill/finesse shots that I need to work on, like a get-out-of-trouble thumber.

NO MULLIGANS

^^ This. Sorry, but I hate 'em. Even when I get frustrated at a round, and "claim" I'm not keeping score anymore... I am. I can't help it.

One of my buddies is a little better than me, and would still use mulligans, and then brag about his score. Drove us all crazy.

It took months of heckling, but now he doesn't use them anymore... When he plays me.

His scores on the same courses are notably better when I'm not there, though...;)

I have played around 300 rounds of golf this year (since May 8th) and have taken a total of four mulligans.
I don't think you can take them and think your score counts.

I throw multiples when I'm by myself and there is no one behind me. I only count my first throw, however, I don't score the same way in casual rounds as I do in tournaments. In other words, I count the exact # of strokes and don't dock myself a stroke for landing in a creek or landing higher than 2 meters. If I land in the creek, I go stand in the creek and throw from there.

No mulligans at all. I've had the group I play with offer them to me when I've had a particularly bad drive, but I never take them. I just feel that it defeats the whole purpose of the game.

Latest posts