• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is your throw style outside of 40ish ft?

bhuff

Double Eagle Member
I have gotten pretty good inside the circle, and just outside it with push putting. But when I get to far out for my putt style to reach the basket, I find myself throwing like I used to putt, not very accurately. I can't "paint the basket" from that distance without putting tons of hyzer on it. And usually far right of the basket if I start trying to loft it there. Doesn't feel comfortable throwing it like I would a mid because i'm to close to the basket and would probably overshoot by a ton.

Jump putt. Up to about 100ft. Can go farther but then there's a higher chance of illegal release etc.

I switch to more of a spin putt from about 40-80 feet, then use more of a frisbee style toss with a putter up to about 150'.

jump putts and then when i get outside of that (90'), i do the frisbee style toss with a putter just like mashnut mentioned.

Attempt to putt and horrible results. Maybe 1-2 out of 10 from 40 feet. Just need to practice.

I will use my regular putt form out to about 60 feet. My percentages are fairly low but I know that I wont blow past the basket with an approach shot. Ive been struggling with this tweener range (50-80 feet) for a while and feel like I have a much better command over it in the last week or two.

The main thing that helped me is playing a lot of catch with a frisbee. I tell myself to throw the putter with pretty much the same amount of effort and it works pretty darn well. It has helped my longer approaches a ton - I can throw the 150' approaches with just a bit more power and a little more height - it almost feels like the same throw. The hardest part is getting good snap without crushing it. My accuracy from 60-70' is probably the same at 100,' or maybe a bit worse. I end up overthrowing the shorter ones more than longer ones. Just need some more practice :)

just outside the circle (30-60 feet) I like to line up like I would for an upshot, I keep my arms low like I i normally do when I putt but I release with a slight anhyzer. I release it a little higher than i normally would for a putt, and for the most part it holds a very steady line to the basket. for the most part its a height issue and not an accuracy issue.

I can putt from 100'+ out with my 150g Champ Stingray. Same motion and follow thru. Pretty dang accurate too. But from the circle, all I do is throw Steady Ed's Blowfly

I do a big hyzer putt that has a chance of going in but will land nearby if it doesn't.

These don't often actually go in, they're not meant to...but when they do they're SEXXY.

\/\/

I'll have to start playing catch with a putter 30 minutes a day or something. I know when i'm playing catch from shorter distances I can almost always hit the person in the chest, not so much when i'm actually playing.

i normally throw stationary across the chest if its open. if its wooded i jump putt

When I try pulling accross the chest with my full range of motion it is hard judgeing the speed and snap so that I don't wayyy over shoot the basket. Or the big lip on the putter catches and makes me throw left of the basket by 50feet.

I'm horrible at 30-60ft. I've been working on lining up with toe of my lead foot pointed at the target and using kind of a bowling swing. It's helped a lot in keeping a my arm motion in-line with the target and keeping me from throwing way left or right.

In order of preference:

1 - Jump putt, if height/line allows - up to about 60ft for me on calm days (looks ugly, though)
2 - slight anny throw/spin putt - "go for" shot or soft landing
3 - hyzer throw - if missing is too risky, usually means I'm laying up for a tap-in

If I try to jump putt, it usually goes horbily wrong. So 40-50' I am probably still toe pointing at the basket, but I do a lot of wrist snap. Outside of that, I turn my body like I would be throwing and do a finesse frisbe style throw.

Up to 40' I just putt normally, from 40'-120ish' I jump putt,over that I ussually throw a putter on a high approach hyzer and let it fall toward the basket

Latest posts