• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What kind of ace is this?

Big Nasty

Birdie Member
Today I was practicing for an upcoming tournament, but the basket was in the short position so I threw that shot. For my second shot I wanted to practice the pin placement that will be in place during the tournament. Low and behold, with the a friendly nudge from a tree, my Comet went in the basket. So what kind of ace would this be?

Is it a black ace because I was throwing to a different basket? (Even if it wasn't technically in the ground)

Is it just a run of the mill cubby ace since it was my second shot on the same hole?

Something else altogether?

Do I even make sense?!?

Ace=1

Any subsequent throws are just practice.

And since you were not aiming at the basket you hit, I'd put this into the "Something else altogether" category.

2nd shot throw in = cubby

If you weren't aiming at that basket, black ace (buy a case!)

If you didn't hit it on your first shot, it's not an ace :D

I'm pretty generous on calling things 'aces', but this was not a first shot from the tee in a round you were scoring, so for me, I'd call it a 'Cubby Ace': nice & fun, but I couldn't mark a 1 on my scorecard with integrity, so...
On the other hand, I'd look at it as encouraging, and smile! :eek:

It is nothing. You are practicing. If I am doing field work, aiming at a tree downfield....what kind of ace is it, if I hit the tree?

Call it a provisional. You could write "3" on the scorecard (which includes the re-tee penalty).

So yeah...sounds like a reeeeeeeeeeally good par shot.

You could call it a "field ace" if you wanted to, since it was your second shot, and nobody thinks of a "field ace" as a true hole-in-one. I don't consider something a "black" ace if the basket you hit is the correct one for the hole. If you were throwing from tee #13 towards basket #13 and the disc landed in basket #7, that's a black ace.

Now if there were more than one basket per hole installed on the course, as there are in a few places, and you "aced" the wrong basket on the right hole -- something I've managed to do once -- I like to call those "brown" aces. It's not "black", because it's the right fairway and the basket number and hole number match, but it's in a basket at the wrong pin position. So maybe you could think of it like that. Or you could come up with your own color. :popcorn:

Last edited:
We call aces on the alternate basket of the same hole "Purple aces". So on my scene...that would be a practice purple ace.

It's pretty common around here, as I'm sure it is around the country, to pay people 5 dollars for an ace and 1 for metal hit, especially with people who know each other. Question.
Would you pay someone for an "ace" or metal hit that is a second shot on a two off the top scenario on the first tee? I've never seen it happen, but it could, and I've wondered to myself if I'd pay or not. Probably would.

No two off the top at League etc. Just casual rounds, still keeping score though.

It's pretty common around here, as I'm sure it is around the country, to pay people 5 dollars for an ace and 1 for metal hit, especially with people who know each other. Question.
Would you pay someone for an "ace" or metal hit that is a second shot on a two off the top scenario on the first tee? I've never seen it happen, but it could, and I've wondered to myself if I'd pay or not. Probably would.

No two off the top at League etc. Just casual rounds, still keeping score though.

I say if you take the 1 on the scorecard then it is a payable ace if you are playing 2 off the top

Don't play much league, but I played one once...

There, there was an ace pot as well as two "mulligans" (re-throws) per round. I believe they had a policy of giving half the ace pot to a "mulligan ace." They didn't do anything for metal hits.

The easy answer is that it's whatever kind of ace you want it to call it. If you want to call it one, at all.

I'd call it a #@%@#!!!! shot, on the grounds that (1) it would have gone 30' further if the #@%@# basket hadn't stopped it and (2) Why oh why can't the disc do that when I'm playing to that #@%@# basket?

I feel you David. I've been playing a while and still waiting for my first ace. You would have thought that one would have found its way in by now. I'm not really worried about it, but I am sort of worried that it would be my luck to get one on a second throw from the first tee in a casual round. I would actually be a little sick if that happened. :doh:
I could not convince myself it was a real ace, so my head would explode.

No such thing as a "field ace". So dumb. Do you mark it a one? No? Then it isn't an "ace".

You threw it from the tee and it went in? But that spot on your scorecard was already filled in with a "1" (nice ace!)? Neat!

Walk to the next tee and throw.

I'd call it a #@%@#!!!! shot, on the grounds that (1) it would have gone 30' further if the #@%@# basket hadn't stopped it

Some people on here have said that aces are bad shots since you wouldn't have been close if it didn't go in. That's BS. I'd bet most of my aces would have been inside 20' if there was no basket.

Last edited: