• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What kinds of plastic do you throw?

What kind of plastic do you throw?

• Total voters

Kaikias

Birdie Member
I have gotten to where I throw mostly star plastics; I have tried Z, Champion, Pro, and DX, and didn't like any of them as much as Star. What do you throw and why do you prefer it. Just wondering if I am an oddity, or if I am not alone…

I throw almost exclusively DX. I keep a newer Champ Roc and TeeBird for hyzers on windy days, and for shots where I need a harder fade. And I have a Star TeeRex for overhand shots and spike hyzers, only because the Star plastic stays stable so much longer.

Why DX? It's grippy, it glides better in my experience, it's cheap, and it beats up quickly.
If I lose a beat up champ or star disc, I've got 2-3 months of disc golf before I can get a new one to beat up. Basically, I lose a disc that can't be replaced for some time.
Keeping 2-4 DX discs of the same mold, each beat up in different stages, means that if I lose a disc, I've got one that's right behind it, ready to take its place.

Also, I remember seeing an article where all the Innova plastics were tested for glide, and the DX came out on top. Anyone see that article/post?

I throw mainly Opto, with a little bit of Gold Line mixed in aka my GL Core.

I have DX, Pro, R-Pro, Champion, and Star in my bag. In general, I use the base plastics for putting and mids, and the better plastics for fairways and drivers. Voted Champion.

I voted star.. It has grip and durability, but I carry some of every plastic. I like DX and pro for the glide. It also breaks in faster. I like my mids and driving putters to be star or champ plastic, for durabilty purposes.

Right now I am almost all Z, with 1 GL and whatever the ION is. Always liked Champ and Z type.

Putters: Vibram X-Link Supersoft
Approach: KC Pro
Mids: DX, Star, candy Proline, CE
Fairway drivers: gummy Champion, gummy candy Proline
Max D drivers: R-Pro

Right now I have Star, KC Pro, DX, E, S, X and Sirius in my bag. I generally use the lower end plastics for putters, mids, and control drivers and the higher end plastics for faster and more overstable discs.

baseline plastics, mostly (all putters, half of my rocs, half of my teebirds). i also use kc pro/pro, x-link, champ, and star depending on the disc.

how my 'everyday bag' breaks down:
2 baseline voodoos
1 x-link VP
2 dx rocs
2 kc pro rocs
1 150g star teebird
1 max wt. champ teebird
3 dx teebirds
1 champ orc
1 pro destroyer
2 utility discs in champ (FB, panther)

I use a lot of Elite Z, but I also like the Pro D for some discs. Wear it in and be rewarded. Too be honest though, I prefer ESP for some of my high speed drivers...The more I write about it, the more I realize that I use various plastics for various reasons. Z is just the most common.

Mostly Champion, w/ a few Elite Z thrown in (drivers/mids).
DX/ProD for putters...

Like most others, I don't just throw one kind of plastic.
Given a choice, I'd throw everything in ESP or Star.
On the other hand, I am re-discovering the advantages of DX and ProD.