• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What makes a great disc golf photo?

I prefer the action shots of players teeing off or putting with the disc and/or basket in view. My wife takes a lot of pictures at our league events and it seems most people like seeing these of themselves. Quite a few of the players have used her photos for their Facebook or DGRUs profiles.

Here's a good example.

picture.php

I should clarify what I'm looking for. I'm not trying to take the artistic shot that everyone on the Internet will think is cool. I'm talking about photos that are most meaningful to the people in them or were at the event. I'm not a professional taking pictures to hang in a gallery. I'm a hobbyist taking pictures at events and sharing them with the players. My payment is in complements and when one of my photos becomes someone's Facebook profile picture.

Expressions, good tip.

In that case, get as tight as possible and really show the action. If that's the shot you are looking for, then having people in the background or other items can make the image cluttered. Sometimes, there's no choice, but if you can get in tight, it can work very well.

You can also still think outside the box to get some cool shots of the players in action but get all the action.

But if you want that "action" shot, getting all in tight gives you the action and usually some great expressions (as I haven't seen anyone yet that doesn't make a face when they chuck a disc!)

Such as Paul Ulibarri, in a shot I took last year at the Vibram Open:
6117967402_931f7e3a2b.jpg

Also, you mentioned focusing. Not sure on a Nikon, but with Canon, there's the servo settings. Not the one-shot lock. The servo settings focus on whoever you focus on and keep focused on it no matter the movement, as long as something doesn't get in the way of the object while shooting (in other words, if somebody put a hand in front of your lens during the action sequence, the focus would be all whacked).

6819530143_8ea46597d5.jpg

One of my favorites. My 6 year old teeing off.

6797620963_fd2aebe091.jpg

Body in motion, disc in flight, and all framed by the highlight of the hole.

6600506587_18ba2479d5.jpg

Definitive focal point which puts the awesomeness of the hole in perspective.

6159891827_14903eb2ac.jpg

The moment of expectation.

5861675009_d4bd46846c.jpg

Just put the camera on multiple shots and see what you get. This is two pictures before I released the disc. This is the same throw that is in this year's Innova calendar (June).

A key feature to a cool disc golf photo would be the bright yelow band on the Innova Discatcher or one of those brightly colored powder coated baskets. That makes the picture so much cooler, especially against a drab autumn or winter landscape

I should clarify what I'm looking for. I'm not trying to take the artistic shot that everyone on the Internet will think is cool. I'm talking about photos that are most meaningful to the people in them or were at the event. I'm not a professional taking pictures to hang in a gallery. I'm a hobbyist taking pictures at events and sharing them with the players. My payment is in complements and when one of my photos becomes someone's Facebook profile picture.

Expressions, good tip.

If you hit the key elements of photography, composition, depth of field, exposure, angle you are going to have a pretty good image.

Those were some nice shots.
What kind of fisheye was that?

Nikon 10.5mm, I just set it on f22 to get everything in focus so all I have to worry about is composition.

Man i wish i could afford a nice camera and start taking awesome disc golf photos.

I use my iPhone too and get some good pics. Granted pro gear helps but you are only limited by your imagination.

I've always preferred photos that evoke emotions or tell stories. I especially like the one above that shows someone's approach shot in midair across the water on hole 13. :clap:

I feel as if I should post some of mine :p... I'll start with the zero action ones.
1503300391_a2b217b811_z.jpg

The Champ calmly watching the second card start their round just before he went to on to win his 5 USDGC.

1526862229_6470bebe8d_z.jpg

This is one of my favorites.

1503300399_8dfca826ff_z.jpg

Schwebby doing calculus in his head to figure out which disc to thumb.

1526840809_e9953d687a_z.jpg

4010343462_984e83ed6b_z.jpg

Notice the guy planning something evil in the background.

If bored click Pictures in my sig. The arrow should be somewhat pointing to it.
ll
ll
v

I feel as if I should post some of mine :p

Very nicely done. I am still playing around with the settings on my DSLR as I have not quite figured it out yet. I get the one jewel amongst a million bad shots. I have a 30-80 and a 50-300 I think. Both came with the camera new, so I am assuming they are not the best lens available, but it is a matter of learning what I can do with what I have.

I tend to enjoy pictures of great holes or great views from courses. I also like the non action photos like the Champ taken above.

If I was better at catching action shots, I might enjoy those more than I do.

is this in a calender somewhere? This is got to be one of the best images of Disc Golf i have seen :clap:

HawkHollow218.jpg

is this in a calender somewhere? This is got to be one of the best images of Disc Golf i have seen :clap:

HawkHollow218.jpg

Not yet. I took that at Hawk Hollow the week after Innova had their photo call for the 2012 calendar. Biscoe suggested I submit it for the 2013 edition.

Hawk Hollow is a sweet course to photograph. There are so many unique angle you can find without bothering the players. Plus down in the "Hollow" there is a convergence of about 7 holes you can shoot without moving around too much. Great for a lazy photographer like me.

Latest posts