• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What ONE disc gave you the most useful "AHA" moment?

The Warden comes to mind, I learned to throw it far and accurate because it made finally find a fan-grip that worked for me.

Throwing the Opto-X Compass sidearm was a very recent game changer too...

The Vibram Putter aka VP (RIP). It showed me the how useful an OS approach disc can be. Currently carrying a Zone.

JK Aviar and Roc. The JK gave me the perfect feel in hand and enough stability that taught me that I have to putt flat with confidence. I'm still trying to find the most comfortable motion, but putting and throwing JKs has been really eye opening. The Roc showed me how versatile a midrange can be as well as how to efficiently throw any disc. The Roc illuminated errors in my throwing motion that I had been ignoring, but once they were dialed the Roc quickly became the disc I reach for most and gave me much more control over all of my shots.

Everyone should bag a neutral flight 1 speed. They're perhaps the most insightful discs a person can throw IMO.

I agree, currently my other putting putter is a slow Magnet being the DGA Proline Titanic more for hot days in summer where the Jawbreaker Magnets do not or rather will not work in hot weather. The Titanic Should be speed 1 due to being taller/more nose but the mold is same 2 as a Magnet. Titanic is a slow speed putter that can be used to throw a tad harder then a Magnet as a Magnet would really go sailing past basket due to being slightly lower profile faster disc.

Star destroyer from a McBeast challenge.
I realized I had no business throwing a disc like that. Shortly after I got rid of a lot of discs in my bag and focused on what works rather than what I thought would work.

The superhero taught me to throw a backhand hyzerflip properly, because if you mess up it will turn over very fast but done right it will flip slowly

I'm going to say a beat-in stable putter. For me, a JK Aviar was my first disc to hit that spot (now it's Wizards), but it totally changed my game to be able to hyzer-flip to late turn without having to mash on something.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Throwing a comet pretty close to driver max distance with half the effort was certainly eye opening. That really changed the way I approach the course. I now love throwing putters and slow mids as a direct result of that "aha" moment.

I threw a comet on #9 at seviren lang (459' turnover downhill, plays closer to 425' or so) and parked it! Beat x comet thrown high and hyzered. I couldn't believe it went that far! Amazing glide!

Champ Firebird - unlocked many overhand lines and ... skip shots!
Star Teebird - showed me the beauty of a high, nose-down flex line; also proved that a speed 7 can go just as far as a "distance driver"
Z Comet - a truly neutral disc that holds an anny without fighting out
Z Buzzz - especially eye-opening for many forehand approach lines... everyone should forehand a Buzzz some time
Zone - easy forehand approaches

1. Comet - I built my throwing around being able to toss an X Comet clean.

Honorable Mentions:

2. Wizard - along with the Comet, I threw Wizards while developing my form.
3. Dx Eagle - learned how to throw drivers BH
4. Buzzz - you can throw an non OS disc FH!?
5. Rhyno - where everybody should start in developing FH
6. Roadrunner - you can throw an US driver FH!?

Wait, are you me?

Wasp taught me to love a stable/OS mid. Used to be, I would only throw rancho rocs with the intention of beating them in to a useful stability.

Soft Harp. Made me learn to throw a FH approach.

Proxy and Alias ---- it was "Ahh haaaa there IS a disc that can fly dead straight start to finish"

these are used so much for anything that NEEDS to stay straight. Tunnels, woods, approaches. these 2 discs you need to try to believe.

The pure. Taught me that putters could actually go further than 100 feet. I also loved overstable discs because I thought they were more predictable but didn't realize how much easier distance was with a neutral disc. Made me appreciate the finesse game much more. Had a similar experience with the M4

The pure. Taught me that putters could actually go further than 100 feet. I also loved overstable discs because I thought they were more predictable but didn't realize how much easier distance was with a neutral disc. Made me appreciate the finesse game much more. Had a similar experience with the M4

I found the same thing with the #2 Upshot in Prostyle plastic, I found that putters can fly with accuracy for driving. Rubber Putter 166 grams was my first disc ever given to me by an uncle was hard to get to fly accurately due to the amount of glide, when I got better in that first year the glide became a problem when tailwind was involved, when trying to tying to putt, and some of the approach distance.

Last edited:
DX Thunderbird. I bought it used for $5 because its supposed to be stable and close to what I throw and it was bright orange (easier to find in the very wet and overgrown spring). It ended up being considerably more understable than what I was used to. From what I've read, this is abnormal for this disc. My local course is very woodsy and its my easiest to find disc, so I've been using it a lot. Now its my #1 distance driver and I've been getting better at hitting those sweet hysers.

Latest posts