• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What ONE disc gave you the most useful "AHA" moment?

lame.. but DX Roc field work when I was ready for it and had a modest practical understanding of what glide is and controlling spin

Also a short period of throwing one disc rounds with a Panther long ago was fairly aha and hit me stretching mid ranges out to 'fairway distances'.

DX Aviar, circa 1985 or so. First non-lid I ever threw, at Calvert Road, the first disc golf course in Maryland.

"Wow, this thing goes 'far' with a low ceiling!" :D

Proxy and Alias ---- it was "Ahh haaaa there IS a disc that can fly dead straight start to finish"
these are used so much for anything that NEEDS to stay straight. Tunnels, woods, approaches. these 2 discs you need to try to believe.

Used to throw the Proxy a lot. They are also sooo long. Can throw them just as far as mids and they will hold any line you put them on. Amazing disc.

Mine would have to be a Soft (firm) Wizard for both putting and throwing. Really taught me how to shape my shots and was the first putter that clicked with me while putting. I have since moved onto the Judge for putting but the Wizard is still in the bag as a drive/approach

Last edited:
Starlite Wraith, found it on the course and and was responsible for my distance breakthrough.

Z Xpress.

First disc I could hyzerflip. It was awhile before it happened and was a great feeling, watching a disc flip to flat for the first time. It chained out on this long (to me, at the time), double mando at my home course, that previously had been an unparkable hole for me.

I can remember that flight like it was yesterday, and that was 17 years ago, during my 3-discs-and-a-40oz days, before a looong hiatus. One of the three, first discs I purchased, and I have that one in a shadow box.

DX Teebird back in 2002. I was a major OAT machine back then strong arming the hell out of everything. When my Banshees flipped I moved on to the firebird, and did perfect hyzer flips with them. Yikes.

I bought a Teebird on a lark and was amazed how it would go further than my torqued out firebirds. Made me value clean form and glide over speed to this day.

For me it was a used Champion Dart I bought on whim last year. I was just re-learning the very basics after a 10 year hiatus. I took it and a few other discs to a soccer field by a local course. I wanted to see how much farther the Dart would fly vs my other putter at the time (Rhyno). I threw it with a decent hyzer release expecting it to the normal (to me) right to left flight instead it slowly flips up to flat and flies out straight with a slight finish at the end. I had heard/read the term hyzer-flip before but didnt really understand it until that day. I also had to replicate that shot several times that day mainly because whenever a disc does something unexpected I tend to think I screwed up.

The obvious answer for me is the Z Comet. I never really understood how to throw a disc until I got really good with Comets.

My other answer is the Zone. Exclusively for forehand approaches. I have learned really good finesse and speed/angle control with it and will use it for almost any upshot from 70-150'. I rely heavily on my ability to approach the basket using a zone forehand shot. It's one of the actual strong points of my game.

The obvious answer for me is the Z Comet. I never really understood how to throw a disc until I got really good with Comets.

My other answer is the Zone. Exclusively for forehand approaches. I have learned really good finesse and speed/angle control with it and will use it for almost any upshot from 70-150'. I rely heavily on my ability to approach the basket using a zone forehand shot. It's one of the actual strong points of my game.

Paul uses a signature Ti Zone now. Not seeing how that would be the disc. Comet Paul does not use. What is the other ROC like shaped disc Not the Wasp from Discraft Hawk or Meteor?

I reckon it was when the Stingray was released. It immediately added some distance to our throws. More importanly, we learned a great deal more about shaping lines and controlling hyzerflips with those.

Just to correct any misunderstanding: Paul has only thrown a Z Zone in any video I've ever seen...

But a Zone is pretty solid as a forehand approach disc, and was a similar experience for me as it was for VictorB. (The one that I first started using, coincidentally, was Ti.)

Just to correct any misunderstanding: Paul has only thrown a Z Zone in any video I've ever seen...

But a Zone is pretty solid as a forehand approach disc, and was a similar experience for me as it was for VictorB. (The one that I first started using, coincidentally, was Ti.)

Well some of the Pros may have said wrong plastic on Video Commentary. When it is a Discraft player commenting they will have the Z and Z FLX plastics for the most part.

An Aviar way back in the day. I was a one disc chucker, didn't think putters were important. Somebody gave me one. Putts were easier. Started shaving strokes. Began beating my friends. Disc golf became much more fun.