• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What potential "exciting" disc golf courses are in development in your area?

How many disc golf courses are in development within a 100 mile radius?

• Total voters
Columbia, SC area

Pretty reliable rumors of a "championship" course going in at Carolina Adventure Park, about 30 miles north of Columbia. It's a private, 2500-acre facility dedicated to ATV and motorcross riding and other adventure sports, in a very hilly and rural area.
Any idea who is the designer. I was talking up DG to a nearby landowner over Christmas who owns several large tracks.

Any idea who is the designer. I was talking up DG to a nearby landowner over Christmas who owns several large tracks.

Now you've got me talking out of school.....it's a local player, Alan Kane, behind this project. I don't think he's designed other courses, but he's a very smart guy with good disc golf credentials, so I have high hopes. He announced it a club meeting, with an anticipated May opening date---but hasn't made a formal announcement yet.

Are you trying to create a Disc Golf Destination up there in the mountains? A cluster of private mountain courses in a place that's already a tourist destination?

Now you've got me talking out of school.....it's a local player, Alan Kane, behind this project. I don't think he's designed other courses, but he's a very smart guy with good disc golf credentials, so I have high hopes. He announced it a club meeting, with an anticipated May opening date---but hasn't made a formal announcement yet.

Are you trying to create a Disc Golf Destination up there in the mountains? A cluster of private mountain courses in a place that's already a tourist destination?
Interesting. There is some fantastic land for DG in that section of Fairfield County if it's not been clear-cut. Pine ridges and hardwood bottoms with big elevation changes. I walked alot of it in the 80's, doing forestry work.
I think Elk Mountain is really the only PC up here trying to be a destination.
The rest of us just build courses to stay "down on the farm". We rarely even play each other's private courses.

Well, 3 here in the QC:

* R.L. Smith District Park
* "The Scrapyard" (Idlewild Rd. Park)
* R.C. Bradford (which I am volunteering on as much as possible here in North Mecklenburg)

Oh, and the new one down in bikinjack-ville (aka "The Gas House") makes 4. I think it's named after some rap song by Young MC.

The Charlotte area is lookin' to be straight SATURATED by the end of spring from how it looks. You wont hear me complainin'....

And maybe, hopefully, possibly two more near Brackett's.

Chris & I tried buying land in Fairfield County before ending up at Stoney Hill, looked at lots of parcels, had one deal fall through. Some terrific terrain there! Carolina Adventure park is 2.5 miles off I-77, so will be very convenient to travelers.

I just think if you've got a cluster of private courses, it'll sure be inviting. Visitors can camp or get a hotel, play a half-dozen private courses, and enjoy the other tourist activities for week or long weekend. Many of the "Disc Golf Destinations" touted in discussion threads aren't so great vacation spots, other than the disc golf.

If Canandaigua is within 100 miles of here, there is a course being planned that's in its infancy. So I said 3. I included the 2nd 18 at Chesntut Ridge and the new course planned for Darien Lakes.

Chris & I tried buying land in Fairfield County before ending up at Stoney Hill, looked at lots of parcels, had one deal fall through. Some terrific terrain there! Carolina Adventure park is 2.5 miles off I-77, so will be very convenient to travelers.

I wish I knew you back then. Know it like the back of my hand. There were some real deals when the paper companies were selling off their land.
I actually owned half of a 200 acre tract on the other side of the county that was once a granite quarry on part of it. It would have been perfect for DG.

I just think if you've got a cluster of private courses, it'll sure be inviting. Visitors can camp or get a hotel, play a half-dozen private courses, and enjoy the other tourist activities for week or long weekend. Many of the "Disc Golf Destinations" touted in discussion threads aren't so great vacation spots, other than the disc golf.
Like I said the only one set up to make it economically feasible is Elk Mountain because of all their other activities that generate income.
For the rest of us, having a dg course is just a hobby that got out of hand.
Shoot, there's two unlisted courses up here that I haven't even played yet.

DisCap is blowing up the sport!! We have 5 new courses in various stages of development and a redesign of a 9 holer to a full 18 going on in the NY Capital Region.

Fortin Park, Oneonta, NY has gotten approval has been designed and is in full fund raising mode right now. 9 holes paid for already. Hope to have 9 holes in this spring and the ther 9 this fall.

Hunter Mountain, Hunter, NY We have approval, funds, and design done of the 1st of 3 courses planned in Hunter. Another mountain course planned on the peak, possibly lift based and preliminary walk through of town property that has been offered up for our use are starting.
http://www.huntermtn.com/huntermtn/summer-activities/discgolf.aspx

Chatham Town Hall, Chatham, NY We have had a proposal in front of the town board that is being received very positively. Town board seems to be all for it. next meeting 4/7/11 were we hope to have final approval.

Willow Park, Bennington, VT We have redesigned the existing unfriendly to park patron 9 holer into a playable 10 holer this past fall with permission to go into wood surrounding the park to design/install the remaining holes. Hopefully this summer if we can raise the funds.

We also have been contacted by Niskayuna town officials last year about installing a course at Blatnik Park in Niskayuna. They were willing to pay for everything and have us install it. But it has been put on a back burner. Hopefully we can get moving on this project again soon.

Last edited:
developing or rumored to get developed in the cleveland, ohio area

- (Wadsworth)
- (Westfield)
- (Veterans East Side Back 18)
- (Tri-C West Campus)
- (West Creek Reserve)
- (Cleveland Metroparks)
- (Hudson adding 18)

Like I said the only one set up to make it economically feasible is Elk Mountain because of all their other activities that generate income.
For the rest of us, having a dg course is just a hobby that got out of hand.
Shoot, there's two unlisted courses up here that I haven't even played yet.

To clarify---by "Disc Golf Destination" I didn't mean profitable for you.....just attractive to the rest of us!

As a fellow course owner, I suspect you feel as we do; we're happy to have visitors, and wouldn't complain if someone paid us, but it's a labor of love.

If Canandaigua is within 100 miles of here, there is a course being planned that's in its infancy. So I said 3. I included the 2nd 18 at Chesntut Ridge and the new course planned for Darien Lakes.

Will Carpenter's working on Canandaigua:thmbup:, but I didn't know about Darien Lake!

Powdermill Park is a project in the wings, but most plans are on hold as all of our local manpower is being dedicated to getting our current courses ready for you guys at the Ams this summer!!!

Yuba City, CA is in the planning stages
Redding the buckeye course is always being worked on
Lava Creek, Paradise CA is working on cement tee pads by the end of summer

To clarify---by "Disc Golf Destination" I didn't mean profitable for you.....just attractive to the rest of us!

As a fellow course owner, I suspect you feel as we do; we're happy to have visitors, and wouldn't complain if someone paid us, but it's a labor of love.
I think you and Chris do a much better job of compartmentalizing your course where it doesn't interfere with your job,than I do. When working on site, having a course can be more of a distraction. At that point it becomes a losing proposition.
So you have only one course owner that wants the traffic (EM),
One that is ambivalent (me)
and three who definitely do not want the traffic.
So although there might be a cluster here, 60% are closed to the general public.

How 'bout the folks with large tracts nearby, potential course owners, you referenced earlier?

Here around Buffalo, NY we are getting an 18 hole course at Darien Lake State Park and a 2nd 18 at Chestnut Ridge (Eternal Flame course) put in. The Darien Lake course will be great because you can go to a good amusement park then go play 18 before/after and the fact there is not much East of the city. The 2nd 18 at Chestnut Ridge is nice because the it is easily the most heavily travelled course in the area and will easy some of the traffic on the course.. or not.

I'm excited for the second Chestnut Ridge course. I love playing the first one.

There supposedly are three new courses (scratch that, two new courses and one re-designed re-installed course which was pulled last year) around the Wichita area going in this year. The two new courses are supposed to be 9-holers. One looks like its going to be silly short, we don't know much about the other. The reinstalled course will eventually be 18, but due to lack of getting help with clearing brush over the winter, it might only be 9-10 holes this year.

Not within 100 miles, but there's a course that has been a work in progress up at a Corps of Engineers park at Perry Lake NE of Topeka for over a year now. They've already poured pads, and have ordered baskets, but have not installed them. We're eagerly waiting completion of that. Course is supposed to be huge.

How 'bout the folks with large tracts nearby, potential course owners, you referenced earlier?
Sorry for the confusion, these large tracts are near Carolina Adventure Park in SC. As you know, the most common recreational use in that area is hunting.

Oh, well, sorry I misunderstood. Now, if a few folks with large tracts of land in Fairfield County were pursuaded to install disc golf courses, that would be exciting!

You should see the courses there that I designed in my head while trying to buy land there. Heck, I think we even named a few of those imaginary courses!

top O' The Hill Disc Golf

I have a course that will be opening 1st weekend in May.It is located in Canterbury N.H. It is pretty much in the middle of the state.Easy access from the highway.The course itself is through the woods with 30 to 40ft wide fairways.The holes are generally long and shot placement is a must,It has options for different throws on most of the holes,play it safe or go for a big crush,you have the option!!The baskets are Chainstars.I started a facebook page, check it out. I only have a couple of pics for now,just waiting for things to get green for pics. About me I have been playing disc golf for 15 years.I started playing in Austin Tx,what a City for disc golf.Bart ,Pease, Zilker,Circle c,Searight all great courses.My wife and I Moved to nh 12 years ago,we bought our farm and ever since, I kept thinking disc golf course!!!.3 years trying to make it as technical,long,short,left,right,as I could.I think the course is ready for pro players as well as great for beginners because of different tee boxs