• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What putting style do you use and why?

What putting style do you use?

• Push Putt

Votes: 25 21.9%
  • Pitch Putt

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • Spin Putt

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Hybrid Putt

Votes: 47 41.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I usually putt in a similar style to Jay Reading. I guess it's a spin putt, but there's kind of a pushing straight at the basket motion, so I voted hybrid. I've tried the Feldberg approach, but I seem to miss left and right as often as with any other style, so I gave up on it. I figure Jay Reading is one of the best, (I'm pretty sure that not all of the top pro's participate in the putting contest at worlds, so it's tough to say he's the best for sure, despite multiple world putting titles.) so I might as well copy his style. I wish he had a clinic or two on YouTube for putting.

I MMA putt. If you only know muay thai putting you're gonna miss a lot of wrestling putts, only know wrestling then those jiu-jitsu putts will get you. Gotta have a well-rounded putting style.

I've been playing for a year and started out spin putting but could never get a lot of speed on my putts. Then I found, practice and got pretty good at pitch putting. I'm pretty good up to about 30 feet. After that it's a toss up.

So, after trying different ways to get more distance with pitch putts I've started to practice spin putting when out that far because I know and have seen people spin putt from very far out and get a lot of power behind the putt. Up until two days ago I was spin putting incorrectly.

For whatever reason I have always used my fingers as a spring or flick at the end of my putts. That's probably why I've gotten decent at pitch putts and also why I sucked at spin putting. That finger spring was messing up my release on spin putting.

There are all kinds of thread for how to pitch putt but little on the mechanics of spin putting. I friend shows me that he literally just open his finger after snapping his elbow, then wrist. No finger spring. No hooking my pointer finger under the rim trying to snap it off of that point. (I've tried all kinds of things).

I tried it. I just opened my hand letting my elbow and wrist along with my arm motion be the force to accelerate the disc. Wow. Once I get some body motion and timing down I think I'll have a new weapon on distance putts.

I'll still never give up my pitch putts inside the circle though. :D

I will push putt everything else though. I used to spin putt, but my accuracy changed so much from day to day. Now I'm generally always on line, just gotta fix the height issue.

Thanks! I am going through a stage where I need to finally convince myself to dump spin putts. This helps reenforce. :hfive:

I would call what I use as a hybrid. I definitely spin it, but I try to push from by belly button to the basket. So, while I follow that line as much as I can, I do break my wrist and put spin on the disc. If it's straight on and outside 30', I will follow a straight line but faster, and I will always try not to break my wrist past the pole. This ensures I don't griplock the putt and the only way I can miss is high/low and to the left (RHBH). I also putt on a hyzer line at almost all times, so that if I do miss, I miss small and the putt will hyzer out and leave me with a shorter return putt. I always putt confidently knowing that if I do miss, I won't miss by much and very rarely have much more than 10-15' on the comeback. This helps knowing that I can only lose one stroke by 'going for it' at any time. What got me to this point, is the fact that from inside 30', do whatever you have to do to hit metal consistently. You should never airball a putt inside 30', ever. If you do, you're doing something very wrong. Do what you can to hit metal but still give the putt a chance. When you have done that for an extended period of time and are confident you will at least hit metal, it gives you more confidence to run the putt in.

I push put at 15-20 ft or less and then spin putt from the hip. Push is accurate but it just seems like you can't get any real distance with it.

I push put at 15-20 ft or less and then spin putt from the hip. Push is accurate but it just seems like you can't get any real distance with it.

I've been wondering about this exact thing recently...

Take a straddle putt like Nikko's (I know you said 'push putt', but my problem's the same - in that I can't get distance in putting without doing hard spin putt). Is it actually best to let just the momentum of the pendulum-arm-motion itself be enough for the putt?
I've been trying to exert force in the upswing.... of course this won't work, right?
THe arm for balance & force & aim is the reason I can't putt I've realized.

I think I've been trying too hard. Does this make sense?

I push putt, though I probably have a teensy bit more spin than Feldbeard might want.

Why? Because I'm pretty darn accurate with it, and it made sense. I make enough putts that I consider "relatively easy" that still get a "nice putt!" comment.

hybrid. i keep the arm pretty straight; just a little pop of the wrist to jet the disc out and get some spin so i can still run the basket hard without worrying too much once i get far enough away.

I spin putt 100% of the time. I don't like to change putting styles once I get outside of the circle (which many pitch/push putters do). I feel always using the same style leads to more consistency. I've tried pitch & push putting but I wasn't very good at it so I just stuck with spin putting. Also I feel you can putt better in the wind & make longer distance putts easier when spin putting.

This.
Also, I don't use 60 feet of power on a 30 foot putt. Not all spin putt misses leave huge come backers. In the circle I'm probably hitting metal anyway.

95% of the time I use a straddle pitch putt. Inside the circle I use a max weight Wizard, outside I use a 170-172g beat Wizard. When I am looking at a sharp anhyzer putt, I will usually spin putt, as well as putts beyond my jump putt range (75'+).

I used to be a push putter, but had issues with missing left or right. Now that I have switched to a pitch putt, my accuracy has gone up quite a bit. It's rare when I don't at least hit metal out to the circle. That didn't used to be the case...

I Turbo putt because I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn!! when I started to turbo I at least hit the basket high or low without going to far.

Spush. I went from straight out of the chest spin which was very difficult to master to Nikko style push, which can get really ugly if you lose confidence in it to a McBeth/Feldberg hybrid which allows for decent distance and much more consistency. On bad putting days I still hit metal or even if I miss I always have a very make-able comeback.

95% of the time I use a straddle pitch putt. Inside the circle I use a max weight Wizard, outside I use a 170-172g beat Wizard. When I am looking at a sharp anhyzer putt, I will usually spin putt, as well as putts beyond my jump putt range (75'+).

I used to be a push putter, but had issues with missing left or right. Now that I have switched to a pitch putt, my accuracy has gone up quite a bit. It's rare when I don't at least hit metal out to the circle. That didn't used to be the case...

Have to agree that switching to a pitch putt really takes the left/right aspects out of putting. If I miss now, it's usually either long or short.

Those of you who enjoy the push putt but have trouble making it go the distance, I suggest investigating the pitch/loft putt. It works on the same principle as a push putt but it involves putting some spin on the disc so distance capabilities are higher.

Most of the top pros throw with some variation of a pitch/loft putt. Even if you see their disc go straight at the target, it merely reached apex at the target.