• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What the hell happened with Catrina at the Memorial?

So you agree, if someone asks you politely to move, then you should, first world or third world?

Sure. I was just trying to inject some levity because I'm not a fan of the saying First World Problems. As I've stated in previous posts the camera man should have moved, Imo.

Last edited:
I think I'd rather have a wall of homogeneous movement and noise than being able to hear a single person talking and your brain can't help but understand the words, or one person walking around. Of course I try to identify the situation and focus through it, but there is definitely a difference.

The same argument about how PGA players don't want any noise, but MLB players can hit a 90MPH ball with 40,000 people doing as they please around them.

Some of it is situational. No, we don't expect a basketball or football or baseball game to be quiet like a library. Golf ball golf is probably the more egregious example of players wanted quiet amidst large numbers of spectators.

As slowplastic said, if there is constant noise or constant quiet, it's a lot easier to deal with. What players don't like is abrupt movement when they're about to putt (DG or GBG), shout-outs during a golf swing, etc., cameras flashing right as one is swinging, etc.

I play tournament chess. Most of the time it's in halls or rooms with long tables set up and many players. There's a certain background of movement and noise, the people next to you finish their game, put up their pieces, collect their stuff, etc. If they're kids, they do it very loudly with no regard to the other players. But in the overall, it's quiet.

And then there was the time or two I was in the final round against a National Master, less than five minutes to go each side, for first place. People start crowding around, pressing to see what's going on, there's more whispering and talking, I'm trying to concentrate but every little thing is magnified with the pressure... and all eyes are upon me. And I'm not used to that. Talk 'mental midget' all you want, but when you're in that crucible with the sudden change in spectators, and magnified consequences of every move... that ain't easy to deal with.

I'd say the top players in golf (Annika Sorenstam and the crowds that followed her are one example, the crowds following Eldrick Woods is another) do amazingly well with their mental abilities to concentrate in spite of the crowds, and they get bothered by a cameraman moving from time to time. I'm not blaming Catrina for what happened, and I won't; I fully blame the jerk cameraman in this situation.

Last edited:
I feel for Catrina. If a camera operator had refused to move for my putt after I politely asked him, I'd have been furious, too, and I'm sure it would have affected me for a while afterward, especially if I had missed the putt.

I would have made a miss that looked more like a true miss and hit the camera operator. :D

https://goo.gl/images/qWNpL7
qWNpL7

Rats! How do you embed gifs?
Same way you do pics but sometimes they don't work...

Maybe the Memorial spectators are the same ones that attend the Waste Management Open ��

I liken it to a musician or a stage performer or any activity that kind of requires some sort of focus or a respect for space to do what needs to be done. Pretty simple to know why it's easy to get distracted when some chucklehead isn't obeying that trust when and where what you came to do is not being respected.
As a disk jockey, it's utterly annoying for me to have some people more interested in partying and bumping into me and blathering on about whatever while in the booth while I'm trying to hear something to cue up and blend into the mix coming out of the speakers. It can be fun, if it's other dj's. Because they give me room to breathe. But if it's punters and party people, and who do not. Ugh.

I totally forgot that disc golf took its origins from college basketball.

Here I thought it was from golf, which is a bit more reserved/polite.

Ha. Not to mention the lack of dress code, vulgarities on discs, formation of "group rules". Won't even begin to touch the AM side with drug and boozing, inability to maintain a pace, group courtesy.

Similar but very different

I have tennis is the football/basketball/baseball category. And if not, it's still not to the level of ball golf in people possibly being a distraction.

It definitely doesn't belong in the football/basketball/baseball category. Fans are expected to not move, not take flash photography, and generally stay quiet (except to gasp at interesting things) during a point. It is far closer to golf IMO

It definitely doesn't belong in the football/basketball/baseball category. Fans are expected to not move, not take flash photography, and generally stay quiet (except to gasp at interesting things) during a point. It is far closer to golf IMO

Have to agree with you on this 100%. Was at Indian Wells this week and I can say that everyone quiets down or is told to by the chair umpire prior to playing a point.

You are on a disc golf forum. Virtually every issue raised here could be similarly dismissed.

Except maybe "just taken disc to head, bleeding out, send help".

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

"Do a hammer pound drill and suck it up." :popcorn:

You are on a disc golf forum. Virtually every issue raised here could be similarly dismissed.

Except maybe "just taken disc to head, bleeding out, send help".

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

The response was a bit flippant, but was directed at the issue. I don't, and never have, bought into the "everything must be still and quiet". I think it is weak and entitled. There are lots of parts of the mental game that can get you playing any game, I think letting those out of your control bother you is kind of useless whining. I don't like the way someone was standing around me while putting......see, still seems like a first world problem.

The response was a bit flippant, but was directed at the issue. I don't, and never have, bought into the "everything must be still and quiet". I think it is weak and entitled. There are lots of parts of the mental game that can get you playing any game, I think letting those out of your control bother you is kind of useless whining. I don't like the way someone was standing around me while putting......see, still seems like a first world problem.

While I agree with you that it is "weak and entitled" at least to some degree there is ample precedent to support the "everything must be still and quiet" interpretation in regard to distractions and dg.

While I agree with you that it is "weak and entitled" at least to some degree there is ample precedent to support the "everything must be still and quiet" interpretation in regard to distractions and dg.

And a sort of key here is this: "...those out of your control..."

I've read all the complaints, and I know you've all been sworn...

Look, the simple truth is that the cameraman, while certainly trying to do a job, is also (presumably) well-versed in the general rules of etiquette in the games (both types) of golf.

If he isn't, he needs to be. Stat.

Assuming he does understand these simple, sometimes unwritten rules, then he was 100% wrong to deny the player her request. Period.

Without the player, he has no job.

As to ru4por's "out of your control" qualification, most would agree. But the young lady does have some control here. Or should. It's one thing to talk about outside traffic, crowd noise, birds, whatever - things that could reasonably be ignored.

It's another thing entirely to bring a human, who should know better, into the mix. And again, if he didn't know, her request should have been like a slap in the face. I don't blame Catrina at all for not only struggling in the moment, but also for continuing to struggle, if that's what truly went down.
But the loitering behind the basket in her line is not something we should expect, or have to deal with - especially if we ask a spectator to move - in a tournament scenario. Don't get pedantic: the cameraman is like Spectator-zilla.

Last edited:

Latest posts