• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What the??

Nick481

Birdie Member
Was watching a random video, and there was a maximum time aloft competition. A big guy at 3:16 in the video does the wierdest throw ive ever seen. He like chicken wings his arm back and rotates his wrist, amd the disc just shoots off pretty fast. Maybe im just looking at it wrong but i can't tell what hes doing or how he gets that much speed on the disc.

When i saw him wind up i was like lol, whats he trying to do and when the disc came out i went "wtf". As many times as i watch it i cant figure it out.

lol, this is like 3 minutes from my house.

that's Max Crotts and yes it's a chicken wing. he can't throw FH's so he chicken wings and he throws them better than anyone i've ever seen.

That is crazy. The disc comes out hot as all hell. Way faster than you'd think seeing him lean back and cock his arm like that.

That video was fun. It looks like it was produced in 1998, not 2008, with the weird music, slo-mo and backward-forward transitions. Good times.

It's just a chicken wing. Many have perfected it. Any of you Carolinians every see Perry Hardison? He was throwing those things to perfection 20yrs ago when I first started playing.

I think what most folks don't understand is that a lot of the older timers started out as ultimate players and the variety of throws you see is directly related to this.

I think what most folks don't understand is that a lot of the older timers started out as ultimate players and the variety of throws you see is directly related to this.

Yup,
Learned and played around with this kind of throw in freestyle with buddies back in the day. Never really tried it with a golf disc, honestly not sure my arm or shoulder could do that today.

Chicken wing. 'Guts frisbee' players throw them as well. To throw a chicken wing: With the disc upside down, place your thumb against the rim(Scoobie style), bring the disc back and underneath your arm turning your wrist so that the disc becomes right side up, and snap your wrist forwards and down. Disc will spin the same as when thrown forehand(right handed), with a finishing fade to the right. Might be useful to the disc golfer if one were chin deep in the brush with the basket less than 100' out and to the right. Even then a thumber would suffice, IMO. Hard on the shoulder.

Yup,
Learned and played around with this kind of throw in freestyle with buddies back in the day. Never really tried it with a golf disc, honestly not sure my arm or shoulder could do that today.
Unless there's some weird reason not to throw a sidearm or overhand shot, there really isn't a great use for it in DG. Even if you do find a use you'll likely need very little proficiency with it to perform your shot (i.e. it's a short approach). It's awesome in Ultimate, though.

Unless there's some weird reason not to throw a sidearm or overhand shot, there really isn't a great use for it in DG. Even if you do find a use you'll likely need very little proficiency with it to perform your shot (i.e. it's a short approach). It's awesome in Ultimate, though.

Max throws them pretty dang far 250+. Its great seeing someone watch him throw up close for the first time.

Max throws them pretty dang far 250+. Its great seeing someone watch him throw up close for the first time.
I'm not saying you can't, just that there isn't a good, DG related reason to do that. You might as well just throw a sidearm or overhand at that point unless there's some weird physiological reason you can't.

I'm not saying you can't, just that there isn't a good, DG related reason to do that. You might as well just throw a sidearm or overhand at that point unless there's some weird physiological reason you can't.
There's a local GM I play with who throws chicken wings 350'+ like it ain't nothing and he's quite accurate. He calls it an overhand though and says a normal FH hurts.

Reminds me of ol' brucie at flip.

do they still do this event with all the old school games?