• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

what to do with non-throwing arm?

Q: what to do with non-throwing arm?
A: whatever.

I don't even think about it. Have a feeling the minute I do, it's downhill from there.
I suspect it swings around, pretty much opposite of my throwing arm as a bit of a counterbalance, but I've noticed lately that less is more. As I've allowed myself to take a more "intuitive" approach to the game over the last year or so, my game's improved.

Once you know what your discs do and how a hole plays, you can overthink things - like Nike says, "Just do it."

my $0.02 worth... :|

I use my offhand to keep my throw in balance. I keep it down until I pull back. Then when I go to release I use it for my follow through. Allowing the rest of my body to do less work for drives. Swinging it accordingly to what throw I am throwing. Anhyzer, hyzer or flat.

similar to minute 20 of this video. Except he delays his arm more than I do. Then again, if you swing that arm too fast you'll mess up your throw lol. I would just leave it alone. I only bring this up when I'm walking up to putting with my brother cause it bothers him cause he doesn't know what he does with his left arm, and it completely throws his putt off. xD

Last edited:
F.O.!

You are an idiot if you think the pros are standing on the tee thinking where their non throwing arm will be when they release the disc. :doh:

They dont have to think about it on the teepad, they thought about it during practice and know it by now. Also, they passed on their knowledge on many occasions.

Paul is very young in this vid, but here is what the left hand should do. see the timing of the reach back, how close he pulls it to his body and the timing of that and then how the left arm follows through.

My left arm is a huge part of my distance throwing. I developed almost a mental step-by-step that I used to run through before it became ingrained in muscle memory:

starting at the reach-back:
1) reach left arm back as far as possible, and right arm back inline with my intended line.
2) focus on rotating hips 180 degrees away from the target when stepping through the x-step with my left leg.
3) swing pivot foot to plant, and focus on swinging hips around, keeping my arms back until they can't stay back anymore.
4) swing left arm down and through HARD.
5) let left shoulder push right arm into the power zone.
6) shift focus to my right arm, pull in tight and focus on the hit and wrist angle, squeezing the ever-loving god out of the disc as it comes through.

#6 is probably the most difficult, because if you do the previous 5 correctly, you're coming around pretty damned fast at that point, and getting the timing right is hard.

The way I throw is probably best described as a 'Swedish Lever' style throw, but it works for me. If I don't focus on my left arm/shoulder when starting to rotate, I end up strong-arming pretty much every time.

Latest posts