• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What was the first course you ever played?

Vermilion Community College in Ely, MN was the course on my college campus. As a member of the parks and rec club we were in charge of the rental discs, or in other words, we got free rentals. I did try it out a time or two back in '03-'05, but never realized it was something that people did, much less a sport that existed. Well, I take that back, back in 1999 I went to a camp where a local pro worked, JD, as a summer Trail Guide - to me he was Mr. Frisbee Man. I guess I still didn't realize it was something that people did...

It wasn't until 2009 that I took a climbing trip with friends to Horseshoe Canyon Ranch, in Arkansas, that I was introduced for the third time. Disc golf was included with the climbing fee, along with free rental discs. That week we played a handful of rounds on that course and quite enjoyed ourselves. From that point on we took discs on every climbing adventure and mostly played object courses around the camping area. Then it was in Vegas, a climbing trip at Red Rocks, on off day in town, that I bought my first disc and the real addiction began. My traveling addiction was merged with this new passion, and bam - nearly 900 courses later I'm sitting in my van camped just above Milo McIver.

It was brutal Tower Ridge 1. Moved on, played for fun a couple of years, I then took a bunch of years off. I have been playing disc golf more seriously now for the past year+. :wall:

Sims Park in Euclid, OH right on the shores of beautiful Lake Erie, just east of Cleveland. Somehow when I moved to the Cleveland area I picked a home 1/2 from Sims. Started playing the next year and am now seriously hooked.

Rick G

Dorton Park in concord NC. I shot under par left handed the first time I played there. Soon realized the game was much tougher.

Latest posts