• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What was the first disc golf disc that you threw?

My buddy who was a chucker, got me to play. He had a bag of random sand told me to pick one. I proceeded to pick a ProD Reaper. Yep, I was that guy.

Dx cheetah. Oated it straight into the woods on the right. Never saw it again. First and last throw with a cheetah.

In 94 or 95 I bought a green Cyclone and a white Magnet from a local skate shop. I have been hooked ever since!

The first disc I ever used was a DX Eagle. I immediately became frustrated with how OS it was. I quickly moved to a DX & Champion Cobra and it was my main disc for a couple of years. I used to throw it FH all the time and got pretty good with it.

DX Eagle and I loved it. When I first started I threw it on literally every hole. When I lost it, that thing was so perfectly beat in, I was so sad. I've had many eagles since, none have been as perfect as my first.

My friend gave me a Discraft Nuke for my first round...needless to say things didn't go well! Noob hyzer fun was soon to follow. When we actually learned what it did he was like dude I am sorry!

This is kind of a riff on this, but when you take a first timer out what do you give them?

The last newbie I took out to play I gave a DX Roc and a DX Aviar, after seeing me flick a Firebird 350 down the fairway he begged for a driver. I gave him a Teebird and he threw it worse than the Roc. And decided that was becuase it was a fairway. So he pulls a random High speed driver from my bag, backdraft or destroyer I think, and throws 120 ft noob hyzers all day.

Kind of made me think he won't get as hooked becase he didn't listen.

Kinda funny. My buddy gave a disc. To this day I have no idea what it was. He told me to make sure I threw it to the right. I told him it was no problem.

I threw it straight left, about 150-180 feet (downhill) straight into a lake.

If you look at my disc organizer, that disc is commemorated as the unknown white color disc that I lost on my first throw ever. I owned it for about 30 seconds...and I was hooked on the game immediately after

Modern / Vintage

1976 - Four teenagers in a 71 Chevy Impala... stop by the park on the way to see a new movie called Star Wars. My best friend and his girlfriend along with my girlfriend (who was my best friends sister) and I purchased a Wham-O Frizbee. We threw the disc at various targets (objects) and keep score on who had least throws after 10 targets.

2014 - Another friend his wife, my wife (not the GF from 78) along with our four children spend a weekend in a cabin. He brought discs and we throwed a round of 18. He handed me the Discraft Buzzz offered a quick throwing fundamental instruction. I believe the disc elevatored stalked and hyzered out to about 70 feet. On hole 7 I accidently did something right and the disc glided out to about 175 feet. Been throwing ever since!

Guess I kinda had to answer this twice.

XD. It was originally named the XD to stand for extra distance. It did go a lot farther than a Frisbee would. I could only throw it about 150 feet at the time.

I don't recall what my "first" throw was with. I had a friend who played and helped me order my first set up of discs for me, my wife, and son. Well I went to the disc golf order archives and found what would probably be my first set of throwers.

My first 3 disc set was a Champ Valk 170, a DX Skeeter 168, and a DX Aviar 166.

Never could throw that Valkryie, so I ordered a DX Cheetah for my self 2 weeks later. That was the first disc I learned to throw and use on the course. I still have that beat to hell blue disc too.

I still have that Valk as well and still do not like it. I can throw it and have had some good drives with it but I still don't bag it.

I still have two skeeters in the disc box and dislike the two of them equally as well.

Last edited:
I don't recall what my "first" throw was with. I had a friend who played and helped me order my first set up of discs for me, my wife, and son. Well I went to the disc golf order archives and found what would probably be my first set of throwers.

My first 3 disc set was a Champ Valk 170, a DX Skeeter 168, and a DX Aviar 166.

Never could throw that Valkryie, so I ordered a DX Cheetah for my self 2 weeks later. That was the first disc I learned to throw and use on the course. I still have that beat to hell blue disc too.

I still have that Valk as well and still do not like it. I can throw it and have had some good drives with it but I still don't bag it.

I still have two skeeters in the disc box and dislike the two of them equally as well.

Continued:

That Aviar is in the disc bin too. When I got serious about DG I dropped it for something better AND Heavier!

Those were my stepping stones to get where I am today. I still fondle that Cheetah every now and then...

Yeah a noob with his first disc a 9 speed driver...mega overstable crash n burn hyzer disc...looking back, at least it wasn't a Groove!

Last edited:
Early 80's An AMF Voit 21cm. At the time I could throw a 165 gram World class around 290'. Instantly added 30+ feet.

Don't remember what it was, but my son and his friend were throwing one in the front yard and I asked them to throw it to me thinking it was a Frisbee. DAMN that thing hurt!!!! First one I threw on a course was a teebird and went about 100' forward and 75' left. Confused the crap out of me, I can throw a Frisbee what the hell was that?!?!?!?!? A lot of videos, practice and almost 2 years later I am starting to get it

Wham-O Under driver from a beginner set, first throw was on a course about 300' FH roller.

Latest posts