• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What was your "Aha!" moment as a beginner

When a Mike C video showed me how to hold a disc. I used to have too much of my palm/hand over on the top of the disc when I used a power grip. :doh:

Learning the pull thru across the chest and what "snap" was and incorporating that into my drives. :thmbup:

Same. I started out with the power-control grip so when i first tried the power grip I just moved my index finger inside the rim and I was like "this doesn't work at all." When I saw a picture of where the disc is supposed to rest in your hand it was a big aha for me.

An Aha! moment I like to share with new players: You don't have to look where you are throwing. In fact, you shouldn't.

An Aha! moment I like to share with new players: You don't have to look where you are throwing. In fact, you shouldn't.

My aha is the exact opposite.

Look at the exact spot you want the disc to go. Really focus in on a small point. Especially for putting, like a weld in a chain link.

If it's a huge hyzer around the bend, and you can't see the landing zone, pick a spot in the air of your line and look behind it - to a tree branch, or a cloud.

For me, it was a reach back. I really exaggerated it at first, and with less power, using me core to pull the reach back through, I found I was throwing straighter, and getting more distance. As that honed in, muscle memory and building those muscles helped to push my distance.

I've had several but my first aha moment was after about 2 months of playing, when i first joined the weekly tourney/training at my club and i was told to not reach under my arm as that limited the amount of upper body rotation. Felt I lost some accuracy but instantly added 10 meter to my drive, and accuracy was gained back after a few days.

When I found out how to really throw putter and midranges.

This was my aha moment. Once I realized I could get rid of a ton of driver molds and do more with only a couple mids as replacements my game picked up a LOT.

I am still in the beginner stage, but one thing I have noticed and fixed was the shifting of my weight during the throw. I use to throw way too high and it would fade a lot. I realized it was because I was staying back for power like hitting a baseball instead of moving forward like a throw.

I had a couple actually.

One was realizing that I do not have to go for broke on every hole. Whether driving or getting out of a bad lie. I remember trying to escape the woods only to get further back or in a worse lie, rather than taking a nice opening out to recover more.

The other was realizing that I do not need the big boy discs to let them rip. I just needed to work on form and technique and then apply to each "slower" disc I had. Fun out driving guys with your putter while they bust out a Nuke or Destroyer early on.

Been playing (seriously) for over a year now and have "aha" moments all the time.

It's not about the destination, brother, it's about the journey. :)

When Scott Papa explained it in a Discraft video, as trying to start a lawnmower on a work bench when the rope breaks.
I use this analogy still, when I explain how to throw, to other newbs.

Trading the Champ Gator X my friend started me with for an FLX Buzz.

"Oh! So that's how people throw straight! Awesome!"

Changed my game for sure. I thought it was me making the Gator hyzer every single shot.

And that was the day a legend was born...

My aha moment

My aha moment was when I started asking questions. I found a couple of great disc golf mentors this way and because of them I have improved way faster than I could have alone or even by looking online for tips. Nothing compares to having someone right there with you to walk you through it.

the weirdest thing is that I never had it. I always threw frisbees as a kid. I walked to high school so I would stay after school and throw frisbees around the school and in the halls. When I went to college I played Ultimate. A dozen years later when I was 30yrs old I was introduced to disc golf and beat the guys who were doing the demonstration. Maybe it was because I threw lids both forehand and backhand. Even though I have played disc golf for 21 years I have thrown frisbees for longer.

i too started with ultimate. when i bought my first golf discs they we're all overstable, so i would always release them anhyzer to get them where i wanted them to go. anytime i would try a less stable disc i would flip it over it it turned into a roller. i used to think a lot of discs were crap, until my "AHA!" moment when i decided to change my release to hyzer for one of those discs i was flipping over. it changed everything, blew my mind that a disc would flip up from the opposite angled release, and fly straight for a long time. opened up a whole new side to my game.

Latest posts