• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

what will your local store NOT carry?

Mabuku1

Double Eagle Member
The other day my wife wanted to get me some disc golf stuff and asked me what I wanted. I told her I just wanted a golden retriever. She went to Discovering the World out here in Buena park, CA and asked the man if they had any. He quickly snapped back we Don't carry those in a condescending tone, like he had a grudge against the product. She asked if they had anything like the golden retriever and he quickly said no.

She ended up getting me a proton alias.

This got me to thinking... Why would he be so emotional about a product he would most likely make money off of? And if this one shop was like that about an item, then there has to be more shops like this.

Which leads to my question.

What item(s) will your disc golf store refuse to carry or does not like to carry?
To me it seems counterproductive, but they might have legitimate reasons or they might just be a little nutty.

Maybe the owner wants to be the only person with one. He must be the guy pulling discs out of the lake at the local course. He probably sells the found discs at the store too.

Sometimes sales people are snappy because they're having a bad day...might not have anything whatsoever to do with the actual product. :)

i mean they are retail workers/owners. its not exactly the sweetest day gig.

it sounds just like a typical retail associate.

source- currently working retail (matter in fact- getting paid to type this lolz)

the closest thing to an actual dg store here is the local club. They dont sell anything Trilogy or MVP, just mainly innova, discmania, and some other stuff here and there.

Never heard anything bad about the Retriever guy or how he does business.

Some DG businesses do their best Tony Clifton when you try to sell their products. Just straight up infuriating.

Did your wife obey the "Shirt & Shoes Required" sign?

Lol, I cannot confirm, as I wasn't there.

Also I saw your Sig. She just got me two proton envy and I think they feel the most comfortable of all the different putters I've used. I definitely like them. Just like a kcpro aviar but doesn't slip through the chains like they do.

Last edited:
My closest DG store is kind of strange in that they only sell DG and disc game stuff. No sodas or snacks, no hippy crap, etc. Nothing but sweet plastic, and stuff to throw it at!

Any time I've encountered a vendor that didn't have a complete selection, I'd suspect that it was more of a matter with their supplier than some purposeful willingness on their part not to carry a particular brand or item.

Store owners need to think of their overhead and what they can realistically buy into, especially when worrying about other in-stocks each week. The company who makes the Golden Retriever could have a max quantity set for orders from their warehouse and if an owner feels they cant move the product they may choose to avoid the risk of carrying higher costs goods. But this is assuming the operation to create the Golden Retriever is a large one and if it's not then they could be maxed out to committing units to other shops.

But the above reasons should not lead to him being snappy to your wife!

GGGT carries everything I need year round. I also frequent Fairway Flyerz but have not seen any Discmania in the shop. My trips to Fairway Flyerz are mainly to buy form their used section to test discs and to chat with Mike about the history of certain courses/discs.

Going to Discovering the World has been hit or miss to me. Most of the time the sales person is really nice, helpful and will chat with you. Other times I have had a person help me and act like I am nuisance. For example, asking for a particular color disc for my girlfriend or asking for the soft wizard instead of a supersoft. Overall it is still a great place to get discs.

My retailer carries most manufacturers and has a decent selection, the only problem is the ridiculous pricing. 14.99 for a soft Wizard? 18.99 for a S-PD? I really want to buy something but man that is just too much.

What was this thread about?

Finally thought of one I can call out :)
... because it's not a DG brand

I freakin' love the Room-a-rang. Boss said he contacted them years ago and they were so hard to deal with, he gave up and was unwilling to try them again. There goes my cheap hookup on Room-a-rangs.

Finally thought of one I can call out :)
... because it's not a DG brand

I freakin' love the Room-a-rang. Boss said he contacted them years ago and they were so hard to deal with, he gave up and was unwilling to try them again. There goes my cheap hookup on Room-a-rangs.

I know Gary Broadbent, the Boomerang Man, maybe I can pull a few strings...

I know Gary Broadbent, the Boomerang Man, maybe I can pull a few strings...
Tell him Broadbent is the most badass name for a boomerang man EVER, please.

I'll definitely drop you a line if I go off the deep end. Keeping it at cheapos and room-a-rangs for now. I'm dangerously close to falling into boomerangs and kites like I did frisbee. There's a pretty sweet parafoil kite maker in Austin :| :doh:

my local shop quit carrying dynamic discs because he cant get rid of them. he said prodigy might go next

Latest posts