• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

what will your local store NOT carry?

One store barely has any DX plastic discs, so it is hard to decide on putting $12+ on premium plastic for a disc I have never tried before.
Another store doesn't carry any discs under 170g. Most everything is max weight. There is a tiny section of 150 class, but what about those of us in the middle who enjoy throwing and only have an arm for 163-169g?

One store I know does not carry Vibram but does carry many other newcomers.

Disc Nation in Austin, Texas lets you throw before you buy ...

~ edd

My local stores are more limited by lack of knowledge and shelf space than a "we won't carry that" attitude. The park department won't carry Gateway becasue somebody got a little too pushy during the course installation phase, but that's about it.

Raquet and Jog lost my business after blatantly lying to my face. Went in when I first started playing and bought my first DG bag ( Blue Innova Deluxe) and had a great experience. Came in a month or two later to buy some sweet plastic i saw and there was none to be found. Asked the folks there where the disc golf section went to and they replied , " What are you talking about, we've never had disc golf stuff here! That's a stupid sport"

images+%281%29.jpg

Me: "Dude, I bought a bag and a disc from here a few months ago, what are you talking about?":thmbdown:

Manager/Owner:" He's ( the clerk) is right, I've been here XX years and we've never sold that stuff here, you must be at the wrong store.":mad:

I walked out and haven't stepped foot in one since.

Aside from that isolated incident, it seems no one in the area carries MVP or Dynamic disc plastic. Its a crying shame.

I guess I am kinda spoiled there are four great disc stores within an hour of where I live. The one at mt airy pretty much has anything you need but I haven't seen a Golden retriever anywhere but online.

Dtworld is the type of store where sometimes you need to remind them that you're there to spend money and that they need to change their attitudes. It's gotta be at the point where every sale counts to them with disc golf being so small.

my local shop quit carrying/lost the ability to carry Discraft misprints when they started making their own discs

Academy Sports - Innova and Discraft only.
Dicks - Innova only.
Smoke Shop - Innova and Discraft only. (They only seem to get new stock once every 2 years)

Infinite's End - Innova (a lot), tiny selections of MVP, Prodigy, and Lat64.

Alpine Ski Shop - Everything. Best place to go in Charlotte area but they're almost 45 minutes from my house.

So, I mostly buy online. Plug for Communitydiscs.com
Do they have any used discs at Alpine? How do their prices compare?

No local stores here in Boise carry Vibram, they got one or two initial shipments and haven't got anything new since. Dang. Hopefully the Birdie Bash will drive up demand!

Discraft Elite X selections are nearly non-existent around here, aside from the Buzzz everything else is either base plastic or premium.....

Only one store in my area has any disc golf stuff at all, Big 5. And that's just Innova and only DX, Champ or Blizzard. Very limited mold selection as well. I pretty much buy everything online...

Dtworld is the type of store where sometimes you need to remind them that you're there to spend money and that they need to change their attitudes. It's gotta be at the point where every sale counts to them with disc golf being so small.

The only time it's a good experience there is when the cute blonde is working the front. She is the only one that has a good attitude there. But they are the only disc golf store in socal so they can afford to do whatever they want. I'll keep buying discs from there, but I won't like it. Lol.

Discraft Elite X selections are nearly non-existent around here, aside from the Buzzz everything else is either base plastic or premium.....

Wow, that is too bad. I am a big fan of X plastic. Maybe some education, proposed in a professional helpful manner?

No local stores here in Boise carry Vibram, they got one or two initial shipments and haven't got anything new since. Dang. Hopefully the Birdie Bash will drive up demand!

The problem with Vibram is they only wholesale direct and it can be 1) a pain and 2) prohibitive for smaller stores who don't want to order 50 discs at a time. We used to wholesale a ton of Vibram before they pulled it all in house.

There's a distinction between what stores don't carry, and what they won't carry.

It's hard to carry everything. Heck, it's almost impossible, when you multiply the number of manufacturers x models x plastics x variety of weights; it costs a bunch just to stock 1 of each possibility. And don't mention bags, and other stuff. So there's a lot that stores don't carry because they've got to make choices.

Won't, on the other hand, makes you want to know the background story.

there's a vendor here who doesn't carry prodigy, surprisingly. never really asked why, but it's clear that if they wanted to, they could easily do so.