• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's a good starting driver?

I'm going to go a little out of the box from what people are saying and tell you that you should get a Discraft Comet. This is a mid-range that, if thrown correctly, can go farther than a lot of drivers. Can be used to short shots, long shots, I can make it go hard left or hard right if i need. If I had to play with only 1 disc for a round, it would hands down be the Comet.

I will also say that the 150g Leopard would be a fantastic disc to start with

I would recommend you try a Discraft Impact. Very easy to throw, straight and good distance for a fairway driver. Leopard as also recommended is a great easy to throw disc.

I second this and the JLS love. The impact is great b/c it kind of blurs the line b/w driver and mid so it's easy to get use to throwing either.

when I started, I had a 150 gram Valkyrie and it was great. I recently got a friend started discing and set him up with a Leopard and a putter (Aviar) it has worked out well, he did really good his first 2 rounds out with me. He now has the bug and calls me all the time to go. Another one in the fold!

I started playing about a month ago and the Leopard has been the disc that I could consistantly throw straight and I'm getting more distance the more I play. Mine is 165g

It seems like the consensus is the Leopard. That is what I started with and I would highly recommend it. If you want to go Discraft then I would probably suggest an XL in a lighter weight.

I am also noob(ish) and have spent the last month trying different drivers. I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Discraft Stratus, a bit friendlier than the XL, and fairly easy to throw for new arms.

I also recently started playing. From reading the various beginner threads, it seems a good noob pack is something like:

Driver: DX Gazelle
Mid: Z Buzzz or DX Roc
Putter: SS Wizard

You could probably do a lot worse than just using a Buzzz and a putter for awhile.

I would definetly reccomend a stratus, comet, buzzz, or leopard as a 1st disc. I love my buzzz, you can put, drive and approach with it!

Leopard, Sidewinder. I started with a DX Cheetah & learned to flick it side-arm until I figured out my backhand. It worked as a BH driver (long & straight) until I started turning it over.

I would say the sidewinder. I loved that disc at the start. It comes out nice and flat after it's broken in even if you don't have a lot of power.

Stratus, Leopard, Express, XL ... all fine, pretty easy to control discs and the lighter you get them the less effort you'll have to expend to get them to go.

Your Panther is a great starter disc, It's really straight and slow and super easy to get good distance with minimal fade.

The next logical step up is the Leopard....it sits almost smack-dab in the middle between your Panther and your Valkyrie.

Other discs to consider as you learn and begin to gain control and distance:
Discraft Impact, XL, or Stratus; Innova Cobra, Stingray, or TL (Teebird L); Millenium JLS .

Unless you are super strong, I'd suggest avoiding anything over 165 grams in weight until you're consistently throwing 200' or making all your discs turn right (but see my signature for the fine print :cool:)

Starter Driver

I am a discraft guy....love 'em to death. I gained SO MUCH confidence using a Discraft Stratus. In my bag right now, I have two REALLY broken in Stratus Pro-D's (in case I lose one) and an Elite X I am breaking in. Being new to this sport and wanting to compete soon, this is my go to driver whether I am straigh, AH, H, tomahawk, etc...this is the disc I reach for. There is another reason I love this disc so much...it has a smaller lip on the underside of the disc...it is not wide like the long distance drivers. I can crank down with a really firm grip. I have gone, in two months, from the discs going everywhere to solid, consistent straight drives with my Stratus...the ONLY tail off is to the left (normal backhand flight pattern) right at the end, but knowing this you compensate. I thought this might help since I am new, too, and have really improved by having this disc in my bag...

Last edited:
Your Panther is a great starter disc, It's really straight and slow and super easy to get good distance with minimal fade.

The next logical step up is the Leopard....it sits almost smack-dab in the middle between your Panther and your Valkyrie.

Other discs to consider as you learn and begin to gain control and distance:
Discraft Impact, XL, or Stratus; Innova Cobra, Stingray, or TL (Teebird L); Millenium JLS .

Unless you are super strong, I'd suggest avoiding anything over 165 grams in weight until you're consistently throwing 200' or making all your discs turn right (but see my signature for the fine print :cool:)

i prefer the cheetah to the panther, i think it just feels better

Latest posts