• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's an old fart doing playing disc golf?

I was playing at College Lodge in Indiana, PA a few months ago and there were a gaggle of gentlemen coming down a giant ski hill. One of the men was at least in his 60s and about 7 others were in their 20s. I don't know what his relation was to them, but he schooled all of them with about a 400 foot drive!

Aside from the aforementioned anecdote, I've noticed that 9 times out of 10, the golfers who appear to be 50 and over seem to usually golf alone. I was wondering if anyone has observed this trend elsewhere?

i think that the older you get you just want to be alone, i know i would i hate being rushed and playing with others that dont help you spot.

My view, from the Old Fart side of the ledger, when I see the young guns, is a bit of envy---I wish disc golf had been around when I was that age, and that I'd been able to develop my skills when young.

Beyond that---

It's a pleasure to play our local events with a wide spectrum of ages and experiences.

It can also be a pleasure to outscore someone who drives 100' further.

My view, from the Old Fart side of the ledger, when I see the young guns, is a bit of envy---I wish disc golf had been around when I was that age, and that I'd been able to develop my skills when young.

Beyond that---

It's a pleasure to play our local events with a wide spectrum of ages and experiences.

It can also be a pleasure to outscore someone who drives 100' further.

its all about the second shot baby!

Age is just a number...until the wheels fall off. Luckily disc golf is a sport that pretty much any age can enjoy. I have notice that more often than not those "old farts" are schooling me. Experience beats youth almost every time.

i think that the older you get you just want to be alone, i know i would i hate being rushed and playing with others that dont help you spot.

My thing is I don't really like crowds. (That and I'm so incredably bad I don't want to be seen throwing. :p) Mostly I play late afternoon rounds just because of my work schedule. I'll often be on the course about 2PM and am gone by 4. It works well for me.

My thing is I don't really like crowds. (That and I'm so incredably bad I don't want to be seen throwing. :p) Mostly I play late afternoon rounds just because of my work schedule. I'll often be on the course about 2PM and am gone by 4. It works well for me.

I am in the middle now. Do not like playing with newbies because I taught myself and am not the prefect person in which to model you game. Plus I get no satisfaction in crushin a newbie, in fact I would feel bad about it. Do not like playing with pros because I always feel as though I am holding them up. Just like playing alone, makes for the more enjoyable round for me.

I have noticed that they older dudes do play alone a lot as well. We were playing one evening and we were constantly waiting for a fella to hole out who would then wait for a pair of youngins to hole out. Eventually the older guy joined them and seemed to be giving them pointers which was really cool because he was quite good and they seemed brand new.

I would've liked some pointers too hahaha.

I'm 24, and I never think it's odd when you old farts are out discing with us. Our local club is EASILY 30-40% old farts. They are the ones who brought it to the area and are all well known and repected.

The only time I was a little dismayed to see someone on the course was time I saw a 70+ year old guy out. Even then I was impressed more than anything.

i wish more older people played ,some of the people my age or younger are out there for the wrong reasons. They like the competition to feed their aggroness not for the love of sport and friendly rivalery.

I'm 58 and took this game up a few months ago. I was always at the park walking my dog and decided one day that I would give it a try. Was about to get discouraged when I met another "old fart" (not quite as old as me) whose son and my daughter attended elementary school together. He brings his dog along too and says that he usually tells his family that "Deacon needs to play golf". :eek:

Anyway, he gave me a few pointers including switching from backhand to sidearm and my game was off and running. I have gotten some great tips from young players who are always glad to help anyone learn the game. I'm hooked now and try to play 3-5 times a week. I'll never be able to reach the distances the young bucks do but I still enjoy the game immensely and still feel the thrill when make a shot that is "just right". I even have my wife, daughter and her boyfriend playing now!

One advantage of being an old fart is that when I totally blow a shot, I think I can just laugh it off easier than the younger crowd. Mark it up to "old age".

I think its cool, but I don't know any old farts to play with and hate playing with random people.

Latest posts