• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Whats happening to me!!

Bhopkins1311

Bogey Member
I used to always throw straight and far.. I just won my first tournament a few weeks ago. Usually scores -2 to 4. Went and played last thursday
Everythrow as soon as it left hand shot to left. Today everyshot shanked right. Bogeyd almost every hole. I feel like the basketball players in spacejam who lost there skill!

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Your timing/technique is off, which happens to all of us but its probably got into your head now and you can't shake it. Go out to a field and just throw. Slow everything down and concentrate on your technique and your timing should come back. When you go back to the course don't think about it just see the line and hit it. Post a video.

Well just think of the sport of the 1,600 meter run in track, huge disparity between
their best times during a tournament, and then on a cold day, not warmed up at just
a practice.

I was going to post the scene from Tin Cup shanking on the driving range. But long and short is there is a reason losing the groove and falling out of rhythm is such a normal theme in sports movies. It's normal to sports. The best players go through it but they have learned to deal with it quicker and minimize the bad. Some of us can be in a rut for months.

My personal advice? Disc down. Maybe even just putters, but simplify the bag for a bit and focus on smooth and effortless drives and playing catch type throws for approaches. Just focus on smooth and straight and do your best to not think distance or technical shaped shots.

When you start doing well your focus often switches from correct technique to desired result, and you can't throw well focusing on the result because your technique suffers. (Ironically, the same thing happens when you're doing poorly.) Then, when your technique suffers, you do worse, which tenses you up and makes you focus even more on your result, which...and round and round you go in a slump cycle. My best advice I picked up online is imagine you are being filmed for review by every opinionated bastard on this forum. They don't care if you huck 200' or 500', but any flaw in your technique will be pounced on. I guarantee imagining that will have you focused on technique. Another good piece of advice not my own is to realize you can't control output, only input. Get the input (technique) right and the output takes care of itself.

When you start doing well your focus often switches from correct technique to desired result, and you can't throw well focusing on the result because your technique suffers. (Ironically, the same thing happens when you're doing poorly.) Then, when your technique suffers, you do worse, which tenses you up and makes you focus even more on your result, which...and round and round you go in a slump cycle. My best advice I picked up online is imagine you are being filmed for review by every opinionated bastard on this forum. They don't care if you huck 200' or 500', but any flaw in your technique will be pounced on. I guarantee imagining that will have you focused on technique. Another good piece of advice not my own is to realize you can't control output, only input. Get the input (technique) right and the output takes care of itself.

LOL what?

Latest posts